Re: [RI_Ancestors] Karen (Burgess) Rose ... 1947-2012

  • nelinks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
      Al..
      my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult
      time. May you find solace in all the wonderful memories you have .
      Lee

      In a message dated 10/29/2012 7:44:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      alrose509@... writes:

      Tough couple of weeks for my family.
      =================================

      21 OCT 2012.

      Loving wife, mother & Grammy, Karen Rose died after fighting peritoneal
      cancer for more than two years. She entered her reward in heaven from her
      home surrounded by family. Karen was born on October 26, 1947 in
      Attleboro,
      Massachusetts to the late Henry Konrad and Virginia Bora Burgess.
      She spent her early years traveling with her father as a Coast Guard
      family. As the first born child with four younger boys in the family,
      Karen
      began her life-long hallmark of caring for others by helping to raise her
      brothers.
      In 1965, she graduated from James Campbell High School in Ewa, Hawaii and
      returned to Massachusetts with her grandparents to pursue her nursing
      degree. In 1968, she graduated from Sturdy Memorial Hospital and began her
      career as a registered nurse.
      Karen married the love of her life, Alfred Rose Jr., of Pawtucket, RI, on
      November 9, 1968.
      Al joined the Army in 1972 and they began 28 years of active service to
      the USA. Karen was always involved with the Army family support groups
      wherever they were stationed. Before leaving Attleboro in 1973, Karen gave
      birth
      to their only son, SSG Scott C. Rose who was killed in Iraq in 2003. Their
      second child, Heather, was born in Stuttgart, Germany in 1978.
      Karen maintained her nursing skills by volunteering while raising her
      children and supporting the family during her husband's frequent
      deployments.
      Later, she returned to work full time as an RN specializing in pediatrics
      and worked for Cumberland County schools as a Special Needs Nurse. Karen
      returned to school later in life to earn her Bachelor of Science degree
      from
      Deaconess College.
      Karen spent over 40 years of her life volunteering and giving back to
      various communities around the world. This included many years of helping
      out at
      the Cumberland County Care Clinic and Better Health of Cumberland County.
      She formed many long and lasting friendships during all of this work.
      In 1984, the Rose family built a home in Fayetteville and returned to that
      home after each overseas family redeployment. They continued to reside in
      Fayetteville after her husband LTC Rose retired from the Army in November
      2000.
      After their son was killed in Iraq, Karen and her husband began a
      commitment to help wounded soldiers and veterans through various volunteer
      efforts.
      Karen, along with five other local grieving mothers, founded the Dogwood
      Chapter of the American Gold Star Mothers.
      She decided to redirect her life to helping care for three of her
      granddaughters. Karen and her husband traveled often to visit their fourth
      granddaughter in Maine.
      Diagnosed with cancer in October 2010, Karen continued with all of her
      volunteer work and loved doting on her granddaughters.
      Karen is preceded in death by son Scott; and two brothers, Henry Burgess
      (USAF retired) and Patrick Burgess.
      She is survived by her husband Alfred of 44 years; two brothers, Michael
      and Neil, both of Massachusetts; her daughter, Heather (Rose) and her
      husband Wesley Edge of Fayetteville; her daughter-in-heart, Michele
      (Basso) Rose
      of Readfield, Maine; four beautiful granddaughters, Sarah, Meghan, Amelia,
      and Catherine; as well as several nieces and nephews.
      Karen will be greatly missed by all of her friends and family.
      The family will receive friends on the evening of Friday, October 26 at
      Wilbur-Romano Funeral Home in Warren, R.I. from 4:00pm until 8:00pm. A
      funeral mass will be held on Saturday, October 27, at 10:00 am at St.
      Mary's
      Catholic Church on Wood St. in Bristol R.I. followed by interment at St.
      Mary's
      Catholic Church Cemetery.