RE: [RI_Ancestors] Olive A Henry Brothertown rejection 1901

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2012
      Hi there,
      Several years ago on the old site named NewWigwam.com, Virginia DeMarce, who
      worked for the BIA actually posted a topic on this subject, a few reasons
      for rejections were brought to light:

      1. The people who filed their applications, mixed up their ancestors when
      writing them on the application, confusing the generation that those
      ancestors' probably were born in...for instance.
      2. Another reason I think she mentioned is that some of the Brothertown
      people who migrated to New York, actually returned back to New England after
      the Brothertown Indians moved on to Wisconsin
      3. Others were not directly related as stated.

      I think those were the top 3 reasons, you might search google for the old,
      Newigwam site and search for Virginia DeMarce's name.

      I have the rejection report and thought I actually put the report on line in
      the Rhode Island Ancestors' database files, you might look for that but from
      what I noticed from the report itself, many of the ancestors noted on the
      applications were born in Rhode Island or CT, back to 1830 and were never up
      at Brothertown or weren't born on Brothertown lands in New York. Those were
      the primary reasons as I remember it.

      Good luck in your search and I'm glad my uploading of the applications were
      of help to you.

      Nancy-Jo Nunez