Re: [RI_Ancestors] DAR and SAR

  • HDBiker1@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2012
      Thank you one and all. I'm now much better informed concerning these
      worthwhile organizations than I was earlier.

      Bob Armbrust

      Port Orange, FL

      On Apr 30, 2012, at 11:01 AM, Sandy Johansen wrote:

      Hi, I can tell you a little about DAR. I joined a chapter here in
      Colorado
      in December of last year. I'm also eligible for Mayflower and New
      England
      Women but have not joined. I picked DAR because they meet regularly and
      support programs I care about.

      DAR preserves genealogical records, historic documents, relics and
      historic
      landmarks

      They have educational programs, including scholarships, programs and
      special
      schools such as the Indian schools that our group supports.

      They encourage good citizenship and patriotism through community and
      school
      programs

      Support the military through care packages, cell phones, and
      volunteering a
      veterans hospitals.

      It is NOT a political organization at all, in fact politics is banned
      from
      discussions.

      I used Samuel Bradford who served at the Lexington Alarm as my
      Patriot, my
      father's mother was a Bradford so the line was pretty easy to document.

      I serve on the new members committee and the genealogical research
      committees helping prospective members find a line for their membership.

      One of my main motivations for joining was that once your lineage is
      accepted; the DAR preserves the work for future generations. It gives
      credence to my work and will be there for the next family member who
      wants
      to know about our family. While doing the research I did find out that
      a Gr
      Gr Aunt was a member. Her application was done many years ago and not as
      complete and documented as they expect today so I added in extra
      detail in
      my application to "fill in the blanks" on her's too.

      You can also send in other applications called Supplemental; that show
      your
      descent from other relatives who served too.

      Members sometimes buy a pin for every Patriot they descend from and they
      wear them to the meetings on blue and white ribbons, the displays are
      quite
      impressive. I will probably not do that, just have my one Patriot on my
      ribbon, but some are very into that part of it.

      Sandy from Colorado