Visiting the Family @ St. Anns, Cranston, RI

  • miyukichan0987
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
      Today it finally happened....

      I spent so much time hunting out headstones & "visiting" with family that I GOT LOCKED IN ST. ANNS CEMETERY!!!!

      Couldn't get out the main gate - closed & chained shut; couldn't get out the gate by the cemetery office- closed & chained shut. **Oh, crap!!**

      In a moment of insanity I did consider getting out of the car - moving, if I could, the big, metal donations drop off box & squeezing out between the fence & garage sort of building behind St. Ann's Church. I had the little Nissan Sentra so would have made it if I could move the donations box.

      Thankfully, I had my cell phone. So instead, I called the Cranston Police non-emergency number & was told of the unpublizied way out. Obviously, the cemetery would rather everyone left by closing (which I thought was sunset but was actually 4 pm) so this exit is hidden & unmarked.

      This is just an FYI for anyone else this should happen to as it might if you're here for a research trip - especially in the summer when it's light well past 4pm closing, trying to get as much done as possible & not watching the clock.

      Waaay in the back (south-westerly)corner by the St. Anns Parochial Elementary School is a hidden one way, automatic gate. Approach it slowly, wait a moment & it will open & let you out.

      Yup, I really thought I was going to spend the night in the cemetery.

      Linda
    • Stacie Heyen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
        Not the same thing exactly, but been there done that!
        This past Christmas, went to California to take care of my nieces while
        their parents went to Hawaii (sheesh, think that was backwards!) Anyway,
        my sister in law forgot to tell me to NOT lock the car up, because there is
        no way to unlock it. So one day while the older girls are in school, the
        baby (8 months) and I went grocery shopping and so forth before getting the
        older girls from school. So we head out to the car, and Im actually able
        to open the trunk, which actually, is just a back hatch on an SVU. Get the
        groceries in, and then whoops, cant open the driver side door, and there is
        NO LOCK on the passenger side. *DOH*. So there I am with a babe in arms,
        and looking around to see if anyone can help, and the only people I see are
        elderly who are having trouble themselves!
        So I finally put the baby in the backseat, and I climb over said back seat
        (with only about 6 inches of space!) and crawled to the front of the
        car.........Yeah, never doing that one again, lol.
        Im glad you were able to get out without too much fuss, at least you didnt
        have to climb the fence, lol
        Stacie

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
          Aw! Nobody with you to spend the night? (-;

          Thanks for the tip ... sounds like something that would happen to me!

          Al
          ============

          In a message dated 2/27/2012 7:04:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[...]

        • Liz Goldgraber
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2012
            I loved your story -- gave me a good chuckle!  Thank God for cell phones!

            ________________________________

          • lorifarrell@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2012
              thats too funny-sort of anti-climactic reading this but glad for you-lol

              --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "miyukichan0987" <miyukichan0987@...> wrote:

              > Today it finally happened....
              >
              > I spent so much time hunting out headstones & "visiting" with family that I GOT LOCKED IN ST. ANNS CEMETERY!!!!
              >
              > Couldn't get out the main gate - closed & chained shut; couldn't get out the gate by the cemetery office- closed & chained shut. **Oh, crap!!**
              >
              > In a moment of insanity I did consider getting out of the car - moving, if I could, the big, metal donations drop off box & squeezing out between the fence & garage sort of building behind St. Ann's Church. I had the little Nissan Sentra so would have made it if I could move the donations box.
              >
              > Thankfully, I had my cell phone. So instead, I called the Cranston Police non-emergency number & was told of the unpublizied way out. Obviously, the cemetery would rather everyone left by closing (which I thought was sunset but was actually 4 pm) so this exit is hidden & unmarked.
              >
              > This is just an FYI for anyone else this should happen to as it might if you're here for a research trip - especially in the summer when it's light well past 4pm closing, trying to get as much done as possible & not watching the clock.
              >
              > Waaay in the back (south-westerly)corner by the St. Anns Parochial Elementary School is a hidden one way, automatic gate. Approach it slowly, wait a moment & it will open & let you out.
              >
              > Yup, I really thought I was going to spend the night in the cemetery.
              >
              > Linda

            • Anne Greenia
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2012
                Too funny. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who gets involved and loses track of the time.