RE: [RI_Ancestors] SSDI Family Search

  • Linda Peloquin
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
      I'm not a big beach fan so I just don't go or go to the beach when I go down to Miami to visit my daughter :)

      As far as voiting them out....I've voted in every election since I came of age except for the one I was in the hospital giving birth.   This is including those sneaky, middle of vacation - summer season  ones the slimey RI state legislature likes to hold in order to get referenda that the voters had already defeated in a regular fall election cycle pushed through while everyone is otherwise occupied with being off on vacation, kids home for the summer etc.  Historically low turn-outs with the majority who do show up being the special interests who want to get the referenda pushed through.

      You'd have to look hard to find a state as corrupt as RI.  Our governmental structure, dictated by the State Constitution is such that other than a politician commiting a felony or dropping dead, it's impossible to get rid of them.   Even if absolutely no one voted for them, all it would take for the politician to get elected / reelected would be for the politician him/herself and maybe a couple of friends & relatives to vote for them & they'd be in again.

      Even before the current economic mess, many have voted with their feet by leaving RI.  It's one of the few states to regularly be listed as loosing population.    At least it was until the state around us tighten their welfare laws.  Now we have an influx of population from that segment of society.  Now that all the kids are out of school & on their own, if we could ever sell our house, we'd "vote", too.

      At any rate....enough of this.   While it could be argued that the political structure and climate of an area does relate to genealogy in the to the degree that it influences such things as our ancestors' station in life or decisions to migrate or stay put, this is getting too political.   I can hear that wet noodle whistling in the air as Maw & Paw warm up their noodle whipping arms  : )

      And for the record I've three known SAR - DAR recognized ancestors.  I often wonder what their take would be on current affairs.

      Linda

      From: miyukichan0987@...
      Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 06:40:39 -0800

            RI'ers are used (but PO'ed) to this double pay system.

      We pay for RI StateBeaches & the parking lots & facilities that go with them every 15 April in our state income tax, a portion of which is apportioned to the DEM (Department of Environmental Management) that is responsible for the state beaches & the facilities that go along with them.

      Then, if we actually want to go to the state beaches in warm weather, we find that there is no parking anywhere because the towns make everywhere on main & side roads in the area "No Parking" zones so the only options are private for pay lots or the parking at the state beache which.....you guessed it....also charges a fee for parking.  The beach is free but unless you live somewhere in the state with bus service to get to one of the bus areas where buses to the RI Beaches run from, you have to pay or simply forego the beach.

      The State also realized that people like to go and waklk the beach earilier in the season.   We always went on Mother's Day to walk off the Mom Day feast.   We arrived one Mom Day Sunday to find - yup - the little guard house fully staffed - 2 people/ bar down and hands out for a fee to park in the parking lot so we could then walk the beach.  I'd hate to think of how much that was costing we RI taxpayers because it's not as if the "crowds" were huge.   In all the acres of parking lot the most I've ever seen was  maybe 20 cars.

      If the state breaks even on the deal after paying out wages, benefits and probably OT since it's a Sunday & a holiday Sunday at that; plus the heat to keep the little guard house warm...Mom Day here can be somewhat warm but it can be down right cold, too....and the electrictiy for the lights in the guard house and operation of the gate at each and every state beach - we taxpayers are lucky.

      Meanwhile, if you're from out of state, yes, you pay a bit more than a state resident to park but at least you only get your pockets picked once.

      Linda

      From: M. E. Potter <potter@...>

      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Monday, December 19, 2011, 2:11 PM

      What I find particularly annoying is that our

      taxpayer funds paid for the SSDI in the first

      place, and now it seems that many of us will have to pay again to access it.

      At 11:19 AM 12/19/2011, you wrote:

      >This is true, but the data is not as up to date as what is on ancestry or

      >genealogy bank [both of them have removed the SS numbers]

      >It will be interesting to see what familysearch does on their next round of

      >updates.

      >Lisa

      ><mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

    • Linda Peloquin
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
        Well off hand, I couldn't think of specific instances but have come across this at Family Search.

        So, I just ran a couple of my surnames and not to belabor the point here's just a couple of examples though I'm sure there are more than just these few:

        If it's a free image on the left over a generic background image will be:  Sign in to see Free Image

        If you're being directed to a pay site, it'll say the site name with a link and note that "fees may apply".  So far, all of these I've found it's not "fee may apply", it's turned out to be fees DO apply
        : (

        Linda

        I have not been referred to a pay site for anything at familysearch.org

        There are some actual records that you have to sign in to see, but there is
        no cost to get a username & password set up at that site.

        What exactly are you looking at that requires you to go to a pay site?

        You've got me curious now.

        Lisa

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
          Thanks for answering. I just never ran into this before, so I was curious.

          I guess familysearch.org just has the index for these types of sites, but you have to pay to see the

          data on the actual site where it resides. I wasn’t aware of this.

          Hope you are enjoying your Christmas tree. No Holiday trees at my house. LOL

          Just because I don’t have much else to do, my tree started falling over last night,

          but fortunately I was able to grab it. We had one length of string just long enough

          to tie it up. Nothing is easy some days….

          Merry Christmas,

          Lisa

          There are some actual records that you have to sign in to see, but there is
          no cost to get a username & password set up at that site.

          What exactly are you looking at that requires you to go to a pay site?

          You've got me curious now.

          Lisa

        • M. E. Potter
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
            Sounds like RI is ripe for a RI Tea Party. Boot
            the bums out :-). It worked in NJ when Corzine got beaten by Chris Christie.

            You will not only have to buck the politicians
            you'll also have to buck the press in RI, which
            will do its utmost to demonize you. The media is
            invested in the current system also.

            But as they say, everybody gets the government they deserve.

            At 09:40 AM 12/23/2011, you wrote:

            >RI'ers are used (but PO'ed)Â to this double pay system.Â

            >We pay for RI StateBeaches & the parking lots &
            >facilities that go with them every 15 April in
            >our state income tax, a portion of which is
            >apportioned to the DEM (Department of
            >Environmental Management) that is responsible
            >for the state beaches & the facilities that go along with them.

            [snip]
          • Robert Boggan
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
              It only takes time, money and a commitment to get ride of these people. If enough people got behind you, an investigation by the US government would make them listen, but sad most people don't want to commit until it hits them hard enough in their pocket book. If you went to the Capital Building and stood out front with a sign declaring your disgust of this policy and enough people saw you and joined in large enough quantity so the media would take notice, they would have to listen. That is what some of the Boston Tea Party was all about. Sorry, but I am not sympathetic for people not standing up for their rights. The rights I fought for as a US soldier. You have a voice, use it. Don

              To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              From: Robert Boggan <Boggy49@...>

              To: ri_ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Friday, December 23, 2011, 11:48 AM

              To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              From: M. E. Potter <potter@...>

              To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Monday, December 19, 2011, 2:11 PM

              What I find particularly annoying is that our

              taxpayer funds paid for the SSDI in the first

              place, and now it seems that many of us will have to pay again to access it.

              At 11:19 AM 12/19/2011, you wrote:

              >This is true, but the data is not as up to date as what is on ancestry or

              >genealogy bank [both of them have removed the SS numbers]

              >It will be interesting to see what familysearch does on their next round of

              >updates.

              >Lisa

              ><mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              >[mailto:RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com] On

              >Behalf Of chrismomxyz

              >Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 8:32 AM

              >To: <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              >Subject: [RI_Ancestors] SSDI Family Search

              >Hey all-

              >They are still free on Family Search with dates of death intact on Family

              >Search:

              ><https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api>https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api

              >:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1202535

              >._,___

              Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site

            • Arlan Maguire
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
                Be careful Robert, you are getting into politics which is strictly forbidden
                on this mail list

                Arlan Maguire, List Dad, aka paw

                From: Robert Boggan <Boggy49@...>

                To: ri_ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                From: M. E. Potter <potter@...>

                To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Monday, December 19, 2011, 2:11 PM

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
                  Unfortunately, what I've seen of the Tea Party here and across the country, it was early on taken over by the Republican Party who now run several candidates for each elected position - 1 as usual under the Republican banner and any number as Tea Party endorsed hopefuls.

                  All that fracturing of the vote is what lead to RI having Linc Chaffee who represents a little over 35.9% of the population getting elected.

                  Gotta love the guy.  Grew-up with a golden spoon in his mouth, never had to worry about anything, went to a private academy & then Brown U. and just doesn't understand why the average Joe with a crappy paying job, if he's lucky enough to have a job, is outraged that ole Linc is pushing for a tax on all food & thinks it would be a good revenue raiser to make up for budget short falls.  Another bright idea....toll booths on I-95, Rt. 146 & I- 295.   Anyone from this area remembers the dangerous,  bad old days on I-95 in CT when they had toll booths there and the traffic tie-up and   horrific accidents & deaths the tie-ups, slow & stopped traffic that resulted from the toll booths.

                  I've got a better idea...stop spending more than you take in.

                  And seriously, this is too political, Maw & Paw are going to step in any time now. & beat us all.

                  Linda

                  Sounds like RI is ripe for a RI Tea Party. Boot
                  the bums out :-). It worked in NJ when Corzine got beaten by Chris Christie.

                  You will not only have to buck the politicians
                  you'll also have to buck the press in RI, which
                  will do its utmost to demonize you. The media is
                  invested in the current system also.

                  But as they say, everybody gets the government they deserve.

                  At 09:40 AM 12/23/2011, you wrote:

                  >RI'ers are used (but PO'ed)Â to this double pay system.Â

                  >We pay for RI StateBeaches & the parking lots &
                  >facilities that go with them every 15 April in
                  >our state income tax, a portion of which is
                  >apportioned to the DEM (Department of
                  >Environmental Management) that is responsible
                  >for the state beaches & the facilities that go along with them.

                  [snip]

                • K Rademacher
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
                    Regarding familysearch directing users to paid sites, Linda's experience is
                    pretty much the same as mine. I don't have a problem signing in to
                    familysearch to see their documents, but several times I have had access to
                    an image that was later moved to a paid site such as footnote. They also
                    refer people to ancestry.com, but since I have an account with them that
                    doesn't bother me.