Earl C on the Drakes.

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2011
      John Drake and Esther (White) Joyce were married in 1719 in Boston by John Cotton of Salem witchcraft fame. His gravestone in Cowesett (misspelled in most genaologies as Cavesit) says he died in 1733 at 38 years of age. John Drake Jr of Easton MA was born 1694. His father died in 1717. I've not seen any mention of a will. I can see John Jr cast adrift and showing up in Boston. I've a harder time imagining how Esther White came to be there, a widow with two young girls. Or did John Jr end up in Yarmouth for a spell and run off with Esther?

      I'm not persuaded by the coincidence of birthdate that John Jr of Easton is (mariner Captain) John Drake of East Greenwich. I think of Easton as remote from the sea, though Weymouth, where he was born is a maritime town. Grandfather John King, I think, was a ship's master. I've been wondering what records might be extant of John Drake's sea exploits. Anyhow -- I've seen no evidence of any alternate biography for John Jr of Easton.

      But Earl C addresses mainly the Thomas of Weymouth/William of Yardbury/Bernard of Ashe line. I've read doubts that Thomas was indeed the son of William, or indeed from any of the Devon Drakes. But the folks raising doubts haven't proffered anything else.

      http://filioagnostic.blogspot.com/2010/07/genealogical-confidence-game.html

      There's speculation about John Drake of East Greenwich that he may have moved from Windsor CT or moved out of obscurity in Yarmouth, where I don't see Drakes among any of the families found in the 1600s.

      But as I said -- what most intruiges me, as a story and as something likely to have left a record, is John Arnold's guardianship of his half-siblings-in-law.