RE: [RI_Ancestors] Any tips on organizing all the paper in your genealogy

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 20, 2011
      Thanks Bob, sounds like it could be a plan at this point.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21, 2011
        It can't possibly look worse than mine LOL

        From: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 21, 2011
          At least yours are in tubs. Mine are in piles.. everywhere.

          However, I do have a plan.

          I have my main files in binders. One for each family - color coded. It is
          a problem as

          you collect more and more information about each family, you can't keep it
          all in one book,

          so you might end up with book for each family group or something like that,
          but I like having

          all the related documents in one place rather than having to hunt them down
          when I want

          to check some piece of information.

          I tend to think in terms of family groups, so I like the notebooks. I know
          others keep their

          records differently. Census documents in one place, military documents in
          another, vital records

          in still another. Then, they use some kind of coding system to link them to
          a person. I'd rather

          have my information all together, and if I need to make a copy of a record
          for another family book,

          then I will do that.

          I put all the documents in protective sheets, and file them behind the
          appropriate person in

          the binder.

          The binder starts out with the family group sheet, then a section for each
          person in the family.

          There is a book by William Dollarhide called Managing a Genealogy Project.
          It's a system for

          organizing all your paperwork. He devised his own system for sorting out
          all this paper. I found

          it in my library, but I think there is a new edition out now.

          My problem is not following up on filing away all the new information as I
          find it, and if you

          don't do that, it doesn't really matter what kind of system you work with
          LOL

          My 2 cents,

          Lisa

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 21, 2011
            Like I said if I wasn't so embarrassed, I'd snap a picture and send it
            through on my phone. Once I get it organized and can be proud of it, I'll
            try that.