Anthony family

  • Nancy-Jo
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2011
      Has anyone traced this family at all? I took this from Ancestry.com, someone posted it and I'm hoping to connect with someone on this list. Thank you. Interesting read:

      Taken from page 624 The Revolutionary War Land Bounty Application, Patience ANthony's statement reads:

      I Patience Harry of Charlestown in the County of Washington and State of Rhode Island on solemn oath depose and say that I am the oldest child living of Michael Antoney late of Smithfield deceased and Margaret Antoney now of Charlestown in the County of Washington and State of Rhode Island the said Michael and Margaret had sixteen children born in lawful wedlock I am the fifth of said children and the eldest living. One died in infancy without a name the names of the other were as follows

      1. Elijah
      2. Thomas
      3. Nathan
      4. Polly
      5. Patience
      6. Elisha
      7. Mary Ann
      8. John Venner
      9. Hannah L. Dura
      10. Michael
      11. Martin
      12. Zebedee
      13. no name
      14. William
      15. Sarah Ann
      16. Artemas Venner

      Only six of these children are supposed to be living at the present time. My father died of consumption and I believe also that eight or nine of the children also died of the same disorder. When I was young my father and Mother had a certificate of their marriage as i then understood which I remember was kept in my father's Pocket Book. and I recollect being told not to tear it to pieces but I could not read writing and do not know what became of it. I do not recollect that there was any family record kept of the ages of the children I know of none at present I have no record of my own age but according to what my parents have uniformly told me I was forty five years of age on the first day of June 1839. This is correct I believe I was about twenty four years of age when I was married to my first husband Charles Phillips and my eldest child is now over twenty years of age. If Elijah my oldest brother had lived to this time he would have been as much as fifty years old. When I was young my father was poor and moved often. Some of my brothers and sisters were born in the State of Massachusetts some in Burrilville some in Gloucester and some in Smithfield in this state as I have understood from my parents. I believe my father left some papers at his decease by my mother could not read writing and has not preserved them. Neither my father or mother ever belonged to any church or religious society that I know of.

      Patience X Harry her mark

      Witness
      Dan King
    • armchair_genealogist
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2011
        Thank you for posting your query.I am not related but it goes along ways to explaining to me why I have many brick walls from this time frame!
        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy-Jo" <NJNUNEZ@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone traced this family at all? I took this from Ancestry.com, someone posted it and I'm hoping to connect with someone on this list. Thank you. Interesting read:
        >
        > Taken from page 624 The Revolutionary War Land Bounty Application, Patience ANthony's statement reads:
        >
        > I Patience Harry of Charlestown in the County of Washington and State of Rhode Island on solemn oath depose and say that I am the oldest child living of Michael Antoney late of Smithfield deceased and Margaret Antoney now of Charlestown in the County of Washington and State of Rhode Island the said Michael and Margaret had sixteen children born in lawful wedlock I am the fifth of said children and the eldest living. One died in infancy without a name the names of the other were as follows
        >
        > 1. Elijah
        > 2. Thomas
        > 3. Nathan
        > 4. Polly
        > 5. Patience
        > 6. Elisha
        > 7. Mary Ann
        > 8. John Venner
        > 9. Hannah L. Dura
        > 10. Michael
        > 11. Martin
        > 12. Zebedee
        > 13. no name
        > 14. William
        > 15. Sarah Ann
        > 16. Artemas Venner
        >
        > Only six of these children are supposed to be living at the present time. My father died of consumption and I believe also that eight or nine of the children also died of the same disorder. When I was young my father and Mother had a certificate of their marriage as i then understood which I remember was kept in my father's Pocket Book. and I recollect being told not to tear it to pieces but I could not read writing and do not know what became of it. I do not recollect that there was any family record kept of the ages of the children I know of none at present I have no record of my own age but according to what my parents have uniformly told me I was forty five years of age on the first day of June 1839. This is correct I believe I was about twenty four years of age when I was married to my first husband Charles Phillips and my eldest child is now over twenty years of age. If Elijah my oldest brother had lived to this time he would have been as much as fifty years old. When I was young my father was poor and moved often. Some of my brothers and sisters were born in the State of Massachusetts some in Burrilville some in Gloucester and some in Smithfield in this state as I have understood from my parents. I believe my father left some papers at his decease by my mother could not read writing and has not preserved them. Neither my father or mother ever belonged to any church or religious society that I know of.
        >
        > Patience X Harry her mark
        >
        > Witness
        > Dan King

      • armchair_genealogist
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2011
          Just a thought that Patience Harry was Patience Harvey which is a common name down there?

> [...]
          >
          > Only six of these children are supposed to be living at the present time. My father died of consumption and I believe also that eight or nine of the children also died of the same disorder. When I was young my father and Mother had a certificate of their marriage as i then understood which I remember was kept in my father's Pocket Book. and I recollect being told not to tear it to pieces but I could not read writing and do not know what became of it. I do not recollect that there was any family record kept of the ages of the children I know of none at present I have no record of my own age but according to what my parents have uniformly told me I was forty five years of age on the first day of June 1839. This is correct I believe I was about twenty four years of age when I was married to my first husband Charles Phillips and my eldest child is now over twenty years of age. If Elijah my oldest brother had lived to this time he would have been as much as fifty years old. When I was young my father was poor and moved often. Some of my brothers and sisters were born in the State of Massachusetts some in Burrilville some in Gloucester and some in Smithfield in this state as I have understood from my parents. I believe my father left some papers at his decease by my mother could not read writing and has not preserved them. Neither my father or mother ever belonged to any church or religious society that I know of.

        • NancyJo
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2011
            Probably, thanks for responding. I'm working on 3 different angles to get to my William Anthony. Thanks.

            Nancy-Jo Nunez
            A genealogy enthusiast
            Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

> [...]

            uniformly told me I was forty five years of age on the first day of June 1839.
            This is correct I believe I was about twenty four years of age when I was
            married to my first husband Charles Phillips and my eldest child is now over
            twenty years of age. If Elijah my oldest brother had lived to this time he would
            have been as much as fifty years old. When
            I was young my father was poor and moved often. Some of my brothers and
            sisters were born in the State of Massachusetts some in Burrilville some in
            Gloucester and some in Smithfield in this state as I have understood from my
            parents. I believe my father left some papers at his decease by my mother could
            not read writing and has not preserved them. Neither my father or mother ever
            belonged to any church or religious society that I know of.

            Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
            visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site