Re: [RI_Ancestors] Ishmael Nichols

  • Gloria Silverman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
      Ask Ellen which Ishmael Nichols. I have five of them!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
        I am not sure but I think Ellen joined our list and should be reading all of
        this

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
          Gloria Silverman,

          Thank you for your reply. The Ishmael Nichols I am concerned about has
          been written of, in _The Annals Of Oxford_ (NY). _The Annals of Oxford_
          is available on-line, see relevant excerpt, below. If you are able to
          add any information to this, it would be appreciated. I am his
          descendant through his daughter Sarah, the one who married Levi Sherwood
          and relocated to Illinois.

          Ellen Morgan

          ISHMAEL NICHOLS.

          -----------

          Ishmael Nichols was among the early residents of the village of
          Oxford and came from Nooseneck, R. I., and was born April 5, 1766. His
          wife's maiden name was Lydia HOLL. His death occurred in Oxford in 1820,
          afar which his widow married ---- STEVENS. They lived with her son,
          Archibald Nichols, in a part of the house at the head of Albany street,
          now known as the George BROWN house. The children of Ishmael were:
          Archibald, married Betsey SHERWOOD; Spencer, Palmer, Gardiner, Sarah,
          married Levi SHERWOOD of Oxford; after a few years they moved to
          Illinois and both died there. William, studied medicine and practiced in
          Abington, near Scranton, Pa., where he died November 12, 1822. Alfred,
          followed agricultural pursuits at Addison, N. Y. Hiram, studied medicine
          with his brother, William, and practiced over fifty years at Clarks
          Green, near Scranton, Pa., where he died September 29, 1886.

          Archibald Nichols, son of Ishmael and Lydia (HOLL) Nichols, was
          born June 14, 1787; place of birth unknown; died December 11, 1838, in
          Wellsboro, Pa.; married Betsey SHERWOOD, daughter of Levi Sherwood of
          Oxford. They moved to Wellsboro, Pa., about the year 1825, where he
          engaged in the lumbering business on West Branch of Pine Creek. While a
          resident of Oxford he owned the farm near Riverview cemetery, now known
          as the George BROWN place. Children:

          LEVI I., born December --, 1809, in Oxford; died November 14, 1868,
          in Wellsboro, Pa.; married Sarah J. BROWN, daughter of Thomas Brown of
          Oxford, who died in Wellsboro, aged 84. Mr. Nichols was a fine musician,
          and while yet very young played the organ in the Presbyterian church.
          Like Mrs. Sylvia FOX TAINTOR, his cousin, he received his musical talent
          from the Sherwoods. He moved to Wellsboro about the year 1831, and
          became largely identified with the material interests of Tioga county.
          He was engaged in mercantile business with his brother Enos, and served
          a term as Associate Judge upon the county bench. He was the father of
          thirteen children, one of whom, Mrs. Sarah Nichols WILLIAMS, still
          resides in Wellsboro, and has in her possession a piano given her father
          by his grandfather, and which was the first one taken into Tioga county, Pa.

          Lydia Maria, died in youth,, Enos A., unmarried; engaged in mercantile
          business with his brother Levi in Wellsboro; died at the age of 30
          years. Mary E., married William BACHE, one of the prominent citizens of
          Wellsboro.

          On 6/26/2011 7:32 PM, Gloria Silverman wrote:

          > Ask Ellen which Ishmael Nichols. I have five of them!

        • NancyJo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
            Is this Oxford, Maine? Oxford, MA? What is the url? Thank you.

            Nancy-Jo Nunez
            A genealogy enthusiast
            Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

            Thank you for your reply. The Ishmael Nichols I am concerned about has
            een written of, in _The Annals Of Oxford_ (NY). _The Annals of Oxford_
            s available on-line, see relevant excerpt, below. If you are able to
            dd any information to this, it would be appreciated. I am his
            escendant through his daughter Sarah, the one who married Levi Sherwood
            nd relocated to Illinois.
            Ellen Morgan

            ISHMAEL NICHOLS.
            -----------
[...]

            Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
            isits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
            here is a lot of information there and more being added daily
            e have a Mirror site for the File, Links, and Databases
            t: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rikent/yahoo/
            ahoo! Groups Links
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Gloria Silverman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
              Looks like NY.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
                Thank you.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
                  As it states in the e-mail to Gloria Silverman, it is Oxford, NY.
                  Ellen Morgan