Re: [RI_Ancestors] JILLSON/ALDRICH

  • Linda Peloquin
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2011
      I don't often look at the per 1850 cnsus since for many of my families, if there's on man by a certain name, there are usually a couple more and with similar family make-ups so it's often not all that informative  for me to try and use thes earlier censuses.  So for that reason I pulled up this census.

      What you quoted is part of a pre-printed statement at the top of the enumeration page:  "SCHEDULE of the whole number of persons within the division allotted to _____"  Then end of the statement is blank until the enumerator doing that section fills in his name.  In your instance the enumerator who was working this area of Cumberland was named Olney Ballou.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2011
        Linda,

        Thanks so much for squaring that away for me. I never go back that far for information either as the census is not very helpful. I was just grasping at straws trying to find any tidbit of information.

        I guess I was hoping it meant something else. Now I feel silly. With
        all my years of searching I should have figured that out.

        Thanks for responding.

        Mary

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...> wrote:

        > I don't often look at the per 1850 cnsus since for many of my families, if there's on man by a certain name, there are usually a couple more and with similar family make-ups so it's often not all that informative  for me to try and use thes earlier censuses.  So for that reason I pulled up this census.
        >
        > What you quoted is part of a pre-printed statement at the top of the enumeration page:  "SCHEDULE of the whole number of persons within the division allotted to _____"  Then end of the statement is blank until the enumerator doing that section fills in his name.  In your instance the enumerator who was working this area of Cumberland was named Olney Ballou.
        >
        > Linda

      • SANDRA JOHANSEN
        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2011
          Mary, I did a quick look for your Luke Jillson on Ancestry and if you chart out
          the Cumberland census starting with 1777, it looks like between 1800 and 1810,
          there is one less female over 45. In 1800 there is 1 female 26-44, (guessing
          this is the mother) 1 age 16-25, and 1 0-10. In 1810, there is only one female
          in the house and she is listed in the 26-44 category so it must be the second
          female who was in the 16-25 category in 1800. Perhaps the mother died during
          this period of time.

          Also there is a book called the Genealogy of the Gillson and Jillson family
          (1876) available on Googlebooks for free. While it does not have souces listed
          it does have a lot of information on this family so when it says born in X town,
          you can go to the town to get the source record or look up on line where the
          records are available.
          I had been researching Jillsons in my work on the Bennetts. Squire Jillson of
          Attleborough, Mass [Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915 name:Squire
          Jillson b13 Mar 1745, ATTLEBORO,BRISTOL,MASSACHUSETTS father's name:Daniell
          Jillson mother's name:Leah Bucklen, married Elsie Bennett b. Scituate, RI ?
          daughter of Benjamin Bennett and Sarah Potter
          Sandy from Colorado

          ________________________________
          Thanks so much for squaring that away for me. I never go back that far for
          information either as the census is not very helpful. I was just grasping at
          straws trying to find any tidbit of information.

          I guess I was hoping it meant something else. Now I feel silly. With
          all my years of searching I should have figured that out.

          Thanks for responding.

          Mary

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...> wrote:

          > I don't often look at the per 1850 cnsus since for many of my families, if
          >there's on man by a certain name, there are usually a couple more and with
          >similar family make-ups so it's often not all that informative for me to try
          >and use thes earlier censuses. So for that reason I pulled up this census.Â

          > What you quoted is part of a pre-printed statement at the top of the
          >enumeration page:Â "SCHEDULE of the whole number of persons within the division
          >allotted to _____"Â Then end of the statement is blank until the enumerator
          >doing that section fills in his name. In your instance the enumerator who was
          >working this area of Cumberland was named Olney Ballou.Â

          > Linda

        • Mary
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2011
            Hi Sandy,

            Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have the Gilson/Jillson Genealogy book. I have gone to the towns of Cumberland, Smithfield, and Pawtucket, RI and Attleboro, Ma without finding anything on them. I then turned to the RI State archives. I am informed if any event took place prior to 1850 it was not recorded by the state but by the town. So that is a dead end. They do not appear on the RI Historical Cemetery database either.

            RI Historical Society says they cannot help any if no listing in cemeteries. It usually means burial was on family ground near the home with field stones as markers with no engravings. So who can say where they are? My gr grandfather did live to maturity so we are the extension of his line. Randolph b.Jul 11,1838. He also had a sister Adeliza who married William C Thurston she died at the age of 25 in 1861 with no children in RI

            The only way we were able to confirm anything was to find a piece of paper that looked like part of Randolph's will after my Dad's passing in 1993. We were able to find the will in Central Falls Town Records and the information confirmed we are descendants of Randolph. So that is where it stands.

            I have to say, of all the places I have searched around the world including Ireland, England, Canada and the USA, finding my Jillson relatives in Rhode Island has been a journey.

            Thanks again for your suggestions and reply.

            Mary

          • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 23, 2013
              Jenny,

              I think you have the two Lukes mixed up. There were 2 Luke Jillsons b. Cumberland RI. Luke Jillson b.Mar 02 1754 died Jan 6, 1823. He married Mrs Anna Sherman May 9,1777. They were the more known family of that name.

              Nathaniel III my Luke's father was married three times. and had family with all three women. My Luke is of the last marriage to Chloe Arnold which took place Oct 28,1784. Of that marriage there were 13 live births from the year 1785 to the year 1806 my Luke being the youngest. Therefore, my Luke could not appear in any census till 1810 and for that year's entries requirements were for: below 10yrs of age, (2) 10-16 yrs of age (2), Over 16 but less than 25, (1) 26 to below 45 yrs, and greater than 45 (1) Nathaniel the father having been born in 1749 in Cumberland listed as a Farmer.

              That was a departure from other years. But was specifically spelled out on the Census sheet that way for the year 1810.

              I did not do the women on the census because of my focus on males,

              Luke and Jarvis 2 yrs older than Luke both fit into the (2) below age of 10 yrs.

              I could go on but I am firmly convinced I have the right family in that census.

              Thanks for trying to help. Hope this makes sense.

            • finnjordan4@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
                Mary, The Jillson Family Geneology, by Tom Jillson, Michigan, had Luke b June 24, 1806 and d: May 2, 1844 in Cumberland.

              • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
                  Mickey,

                  What I am trying to get at is where he and Elizabeth were born, Thomas did a good job on the information, but again nothing about the birthplace. I may never prove that, but when you go to the town records in Cumberland, they say they have the birth of Luke and Elizabeth's 1st daughter only. I understand records were not kept in those early days he was born at home I'm sure. Luke and Elizabeth were married by a JP in Cumberland, I have proof of that.

                  Mary

                • finnjordan4@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
                    I know in researching my husband's family it was explained to me that a child was born (wherever) and the family
                    could be out for a ride and decide to stop (out of town) at a town hall and register the birth. I'm still trying to find a
                    record of a birth in Foster but who knows. Also Kent/Coventry, who knows. 1819, probably at home too I'm guessing
                    at this point. Jillson is close in the alpha to Jordan so I'll keep checking.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 24, 2013
                      Yes, and unfortunately some of them were not registered at all. Since I’m sure many people lived far away from the

                      center of government for their area, and the fact they had to pay to register, many people were probably lost.

                      Have you tried to find church records for your people?

                      Also, Foster used to be Scituate before 1781, and Scituate was part of Providence until 1730.

                      So if you are looking for records that early, you may be looking in the wrong place?

                      Lisa