Re: Exeter Town Records

  • armchair_genealogist
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 8, 2011
      Hi,
      I did post an image of that document in photo section of the group.It is a somewhat curious document so you can read it first hand and or download it.I am not sure if the property was acquired before Exeter became a town or property was transacted without a deed?People back then would sometimes not record a deed for years or perhaps were sometimes back dating the sale?Hard to say but I have found many times property being sold and then not finding how or when it was ever acquired in the first place..........Mike

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

      > I called the Exeter Town Hall and there is no William Brayman listed in the Probate Records for around his death date of 9 April 1804. If in 5 Sept 1807 John & Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold their interest or right in William Brayman's estate...should there not be a paper trail as to how Jemina Brayman Tourgee acquired the property, in order for her to sell it? So maybe I just need to research April 1804 when William Brayman (Braman) died and Sept 1807 when his daught sold her interest, because maybe it never got in the index?
      >
      > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist" <bingo0212@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi,
      > > I found just one Tourgee in the land evidence index for say pre 1850 Exeter,RI.It does not involve a sale of land.On Sept.05,1807 John and Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold for $25 any interest or right they have or may have in the estate? of William Brayman deceased to Waterman Brayman.Also Abigail Brayman did the same with John Tourgee witnessing the deed.............
      > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is there anyone that is familiar with the Exeter Town Records, or may go there often? I contacted the clerk's office and she checked the index
      > > > and could find nothing. Not all records are indexed by name. Is there anyone that has looked at early land records 1765-1790, or records from the town meetings?

    • armchair_genealogist
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 8, 2011
        Jemina and John do not appear to be selling property but are selling any right they may or may not have to the estate of Mr Brayman.Either he divested himself of property before his death or his estate was probated in a nearby town perhaps?Maybe this is more about making sure Waterman Brayman has clear title to a property and clearing up any possible claims by other heirs of William Brayman?Not sure if there is another angle I'm missing.
      • Charlie Carpenter
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 9, 2011
          G'Day

          The Braman family came from Newport County and married into Washington County families and eventually changed the name to Brayman.
          Washington County Braman family married into Carpenter,Tefft and Gould,etc. There are some Braymans in Richmond,R.I.

          William and Anna/h ___?__ Braman had a son WATERMAN BRAYMAN b 2-20-1786 Exeter d 4-3-1865 Providence Pr.D 11-153 who married WAITE GARDINER daughter of John and Frances ---?-- Gardiner. John death Book13 page 116 Ex.

          Waterman and Waite had Marry Ann b 1-27-1811 d 3-27-1892 Prov book 18, she married ---?--- Stewart. James Waterman b Sept 1812 Ex d 3-20-1899 Prov. book 17 Waity b 10-13-1814 Ex d 3-14-1899 So.Kingstown Book 1 page 90 she married ---?---Taber Harriet Newell b 9-1-1820 Ex d 3-5-1898 Newport she was married to Willard F. Babcock of Newport and last was John b 1829 Ex.

          Meant to show where this family ended up in Prov. or few Exeter records on their deaths were found.

          Charlie C

          I did post an image of that document in photo section of the group.It is a somewhat curious document so you can read it first hand and or download it.I am not sure if the property was acquired before Exeter became a town or property was transacted without a deed?People back then would sometimes not record a deed for years or perhaps were sometimes back dating the sale?Hard to say but I have found many times property being sold and then not finding how or when it was ever acquired in the first place..........Mike

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

          > I called the Exeter Town Hall and there is no William Brayman listed in the Probate Records for around his death date of 9 April 1804. If in 5 Sept 1807 John & Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold their interest or right in William Brayman's estate...should there not be a paper trail as to how Jemina Brayman Tourgee acquired the property, in order for her to sell it? So maybe I just need to research April 1804 when William Brayman (Braman) died and Sept 1807 when his daught sold her interest, because maybe it never got in the index?
          >
          > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist" <bingo0212@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi,
          > > I found just one Tourgee in the land evidence index for say pre 1850 Exeter,RI.It does not involve a sale of land.On Sept.05,1807 John and Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold for $25 any interest or right they have or may have in the estate? of William Brayman deceased to Waterman Brayman.Also Abigail Brayman did the same with John Tourgee witnessing the deed.............
          > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Is there anyone that is familiar with the Exeter Town Records, or may go there often? I contacted the clerk's office and she checked the index
          > > > and could find nothing. Not all records are indexed by name. Is there anyone that has looked at early land records 1765-1790, or records from the town meetings?

        • NancyJo
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 9, 2011
            Thanks Charlie...

            Nancy-Jo Nunez
            A genealogy enthusiast
            Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

[...]
            eaths were found.
            Charlie C

            I did post an image of that document in photo section of the group.It is a
            omewhat curious document so you can read it first hand and or download it.I am
            ot sure if the property was acquired before Exeter became a town or property
            as transacted without a deed?People back then would sometimes not record a deed
            or years or perhaps were sometimes back dating the sale?Hard to say but I have
            ound many times property being sold and then not finding how or when it was
            ver acquired in the first place..........Mike
            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

            > I called the Exeter Town Hall and there is no William Brayman listed in the
            robate Records for around his death date of 9 April 1804. If in 5 Sept 1807
            ohn & Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold their interest or right in William
            rayman's estate...should there not be a paper trail as to how Jemina Brayman
            ourgee acquired the property, in order for her to sell it? So maybe I just need
            o research April 1804 when William Brayman (Braman) died and Sept 1807 when his
            aught sold her interest, because maybe it never got in the index?

            > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist" <bingo0212@>
            rote:

            > > Hi,
            > > I found just one Tourgee in the land evidence index for say pre 1850
            xeter,RI.It does not involve a sale of land.On Sept.05,1807 John and Jemina
            ourgee of Exeter sold for $25 any interest or right they have or may have in
            he estate? of William Brayman deceased to Waterman Brayman.Also Abigail Brayman
            id the same with John Tourgee witnessing the deed.............
            > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is there anyone that is familiar with the Exeter Town Records, or may go
            here often? I contacted the clerk's office and she checked the index
            > > > and could find nothing. Not all records are indexed by name. Is there
            nyone that has looked at early land records 1765-1790, or records from the town
            eetings?

            Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
            isits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
            here is a lot of information there and more being added daily
            e have a Mirror site for the File, Links, and Databases
            t: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rikent/yahoo/
            ahoo! Groups Links
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Nancy-Jo
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 25, 2011
              Hello to the folks on this William Brayman discussion,

              Does anyone know anymore about him? I could do a lookup on one of my CDs, and so far there are 15 of them, did this William Brayman have a middle initial? Just trying to lend a helping hand if I can.

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 25, 2011
                My CD says he died intestate....and letter of administration to his brother Solomon Brayman of Exeter.

                --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

                > I called the Exeter Town Hall and there is no William Brayman listed in the Probate Records for around his death date of 9 April 1804. If in 5 Sept 1807 John & Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold their interest or right in William Brayman's estate...should there not be a paper trail as to how Jemina Brayman Tourgee acquired the property, in order for her to sell it? So maybe I just need to research April 1804 when William Brayman (Braman) died and Sept 1807 when his daught sold her interest, because maybe it never got in the index?
                >
                > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist" <bingo0212@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi,
                > > I found just one Tourgee in the land evidence index for say pre 1850 Exeter,RI.It does not involve a sale of land.On Sept.05,1807 John and Jemina Tourgee of Exeter sold for $25 any interest or right they have or may have in the estate? of William Brayman deceased to Waterman Brayman.Also Abigail Brayman did the same with John Tourgee witnessing the deed.............
                > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Is there anyone that is familiar with the Exeter Town Records, or may go there often? I contacted the clerk's office and she checked the index
                > > > and could find nothing. Not all records are indexed by name. Is there anyone that has looked at early land records 1765-1790, or records from the town meetings?

              • nmsue
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 20, 2013
                  I need to research some of the records for the Town of Exeter in Washington County. Namely:

                  Probate Index to Vols. 1-5

                  Town Records: 1742-1818

                  Births/Christenings 1765-1850, and

                  Mortgage Deeds 1743-1801.

                  From what I have seen, these records are only available on microfilm and are only available through NEGHS and the Mormon Library. Do BOOKS exist for these records? If so, where?

                  Am curious if there are books or just microfilm.

                  Any help appreciated. AND, does anyone have the books on the historical cemeteries of Exeter? Would you be willing to check them for the surnames Codner and Wilbur?

                  Thank you-Sue
                • DOT and MIKE