Funeral Home - Gilbert & Wightman

  • SANDRA
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2011
      Can any of our great RI researchers tell me who might know where the records from the Gilbert and Wightman Funeral Home in Woonsocket might be located? I can't find that place in business in RI and a death record for my Gr gr grandfather gives this place as the undertaker. Other family used the same Funeral Home. I'd love to find who has these records now or if anyone has transcribed them so I can search for more clues on the family.

      Kind Regards,
      Sandy from Colorado
    • Linda Peloquin
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7, 2011
        Sandy,

        I've encountered similar situations with ancestors having now defunct funeral homes/undertakers listed.

        Unfortunately, there are no rules in RI for the preservation of the records of funeral homes when they go out of business so most seem to be trashed.

        If one gets really lucky, another funeral home in the area will have taken over the defunct funeral home and with the absorption of that home also become custodian of the records.

        Even this doesn't always happen as I discovered a few years back when I thought I'd lucked out in finding a current funeral home that had taken over another home upon the owner's retirement only to learn from the people at the current home that the retired owner kept all the old records which, with the death of that person are now nowhere to be found.

        Basically, if the funeral home is gone, so too most probably, are the records.  One could check with a local historical society or the RI Historical Society on the off chance that someone had the forethought to donate the records.  RI Archives doesn't seem to have any.

        Linda

        Can any of our great RI researchers tell me who might know where the records from the Gilbert and Wightman Funeral Home in Woonsocket might be located? I can't find that place in business in RI and a death record for my Gr gr grandfather gives this place as the undertaker. Other family used the same Funeral Home. I'd love to find who has these records now or if anyone has transcribed them so I can search for more clues on the family.

        Kind Regards,
        Sandy from Colorado

      • SANDRA JOHANSEN
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
          Thanks Linda, this is a good confirmation of my thoughts. I was lucky with the
          other side of my family who have used the same funeral home since the 1870's.
          That home is still in business and had great records and kindly shared tons of
          information i had not previously known. I'm going to try a city directory
          search on Ancestry to see if I can figure out where they were physically located
          so if there is a similar business there today I'll contact to see if any records
          exist.

          I was very pleased to find many church records in the Woonsocket and Blackstone
          area had been transcribed by the folks at the American French society and those
          helped tremendously too.
          Kind Regards,
          Sandy from Colorado

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
            AFGS also has been compiling on line databases of Fre-Can burials in northern RI/over the line MA cemeteries as well as an obituary index from US & Canadian newspapers and a headstone index for RI, MA & CT.

            Don't forget the Family Search site which now has the RI 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925 & 1935 RI State censuses with images.  The images, for whatever reasons though, only seem to be available during the day.  I've gone back in the evening after supper to save & attach more censuses to my tree only to find the image link saying image not available at this time.

            1892 RI Census is MIA so was never filmed.  I keep hoping it will turn up some day.

            Family Search also has all the Québec Catholic répertoire so no need to pay Ancestry for access.  They are a bit cumbersome to use since they have yet to be indexed but Ancestry can be used as a default search engine for the post 1800 records and PRDH as a default search engine for the pre 1800 records.  PRDH also has a link to a map of the 17th & 18th century parishes which goes a long way towards finding a previous parish when you get to the beginning of a parish & know that your people had to have been somewhere prior to the inception of the new parish but aren't sure what older parish to look in.
            http://www.genealogie.umontreal.ca/en/public/RechEtatCivilIndividu.asp

            When you get back to the first people over from France, Fichier Origine will usually have goodies on them.  What they have varies but if you get lucky as I did, they may just have a link to a record in France for the person you're looking at.  I found the 1643 baptism of my husband's ancestor Jean Poliquen/Policain at FO.  http://www.fichierorigine.com/

            Also the site  Les Filles du Roy  1663 à 1673 has quite a bit on each of the King's Daughters as well as links to text transcripts of the ships' manifests, where they exist, for their voyages over to Québec.  http://www.migrations.fr/700fillesroy.htm

            Linda

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
              There are numerous books on this partnership now on Google's books
              maybe one of these will list who they interred.

              [
              http://www.google.com/search?q=Gilbert+and+Wightman&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]

              Good luck in your continued search,
              and here's wishing you a beautiful day, today & always,

              On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM, SANDRA <jenny_ologist@...> wrote:

              > Can any of our great RI researchers tell me who might know where the
              > records from the Gilbert and Wightman Funeral Home in Woonsocket might be
              > located? I can't find that place in business in RI and a death record for my
              > Gr gr grandfather gives this place as the undertaker. Other family used the
              > same Funeral Home. I'd love to find who has these records now or if anyone
              > has transcribed them so I can search for more clues on the family.
              >
              > Kind Regards,
              > Sandy from Colorado

            • A F Clarke
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 18, 2011
                Hi all,
                I just know there are some of you who can make my
                job a little easier. I have transcribed some historical
                works by the late Emily Gertrude Arnold (12/10/1884 -
                1/29/1935, Nathanael Greene Ch, DAR) who lived on the
                Warwick line with East Greenwich. I transcribe and make
                such texts available at the town library as I find them,
                since they can't seem to be found anywhere else.
                She was the daughter of Andrew J. and Laura (Brown)
                Arnold. She was the granddaughter of Stephen A. and Ann
                E. Smith (sic), and ?? father's line Arnold. I suspect
                she was a descendant of William Arnold, who owned the
                Arnold Tavern in East Greenwich during the Revolution.
                Gertrude Arnold was the official historian for East
                Greenwich's 250th birthday celebration in 1927. Oddly,
                though pictures are published of just about everyone on
                the committees for that event, Miss Arnold's picture is
                not. She never married, but I would like to know if
                there are any collateral line descendants who might have
                a picture of her. These deceased town historians are
                getting lost along with the histories they wrote.
                Since we might be speaking of living individuals,
                it's fine to contact me off-list.

                Alan Clarke
                East Greenwich
              • Gloria Silverman
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 20, 2011
                  Hi Alan,
                  I don't have any pictures but I do have Emily Gertrude's family lineage if you are interested.
                  Gloria (Albro) Silverman

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 20, 2011
                    On 4/20/11 1:20 PM, Gloria Silverman wrote:

                    > Hi Alan,
                    > I don't have any pictures but I do have Emily
                    > Gertrude's family lineage if you are interested.
                    > Gloria (Albro) Silverman

                    I'm very interested, Gloria. I'm trying to honor her by
                    putting her in place with the other historians of East
                    Greenwich. She has a DAR bronze at her grave with her
                    name on it , so I think that and having her lineage
                    gives her a lot of credibility.

                    It would be nice to have a picture, but at this point I
                    just want to know who she was.

                    Thank you for any help.
                    Alan Clarke

                    *AETHERA NOBIS*
                  • Scott Bill Hirst
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 20, 2011
                      Hi!
                       I have both Arnolds and Albros way back in my family tree. I am a direct descendant of Stephen Arnold, brother to R.I. Colonial Governor Benedict Arnold. I have two Albro lines that go in to my Congdon line, this is through an Elizabeth Albro. In fact Arnolds and Albros are through my maternal grandmother.
                      Regards,
                      Scott

                      Scott Bill Hirst
                      20 Maple Court
                      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                      (401)377-4643
                      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                      On 4/20/11 1:20 PM, Gloria Silverman wrote:

                      > Hi Alan,
                      > I don't have any pictures but I do have Emily
                      > Gertrude's family lineage if you are interested.
                      > Gloria (Albro) Silverman

                      I'm very interested, Gloria. I'm trying to honor her by
                      putting her in place with the other historians of East
                      Greenwich. She has a DAR bronze at her grave with her
                      name on it , so I think that and having her lineage
                      gives her a lot of credibility.

                      It would be nice to have a picture, but at this point I
                      just want to know who she was.

                      Thank you for any help.
                      Alan Clarke

                      *AETHERA NOBIS*

                    • Scott Bill Hirst
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 20, 2011
                        Hi!
                         I believe Colonial Governor Benedict Arnold was grandfather or possibly great grandfather of the traitor of the same name. Theodore Francis Green, R.I. Governor and U.S. Senator was an Arnold descendant. Current Governor Lincoln Chafee has a lot of R.I. ancestry, I know through the Lippitt's for example. I am reasonably closely related to the Sprague Governors.
                         Old R.I. families I am related to but not limited to are Congdon, Babcock, Crandall, Almy,Cornell, Perry, Hazard, Greene both Surgeon John and John of Quidnesset, Mowry,
                        Kenyon, and Burdick.
                        Relatively yours,
                        Scott

                        Scott Bill Hirst
                        20 Maple Court
                        Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                        (401)377-4643
                        Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                        I have not really pursued my Arnold side of the family, it was so far back. But I do know that Catherine Arnold married my ancestor John Cluverius. I descend on down from that line. I SHOW THAT Catherine WAS DAUGHTER OF ANTHONEY ARNOLD. I DON'T HAVE IT ENTERED BUT AS I RECALL HE WAS RELATED TO BENEDICT ARNOLD. WANT TO DISCUSS THIS MORE, LET ME KNOW. JSORENSEN4@...

                        On 4/20/11 1:20 PM, Gloria Silverman wrote:

                        > Hi Alan,
                        > I don't have any pictures but I do have Emily
                        > Gertrude's family lineage if you are interested.
                        > Gloria (Albro) Silverman

                        I'm very interested, Gloria. I'm trying to honor her by
                        putting her in place with the other historians of East
                        Greenwich. She has a DAR bronze at her grave with her
                        name on it , so I think that and having her lineage
                        gives her a lot of credibility.

                        It would be nice to have a picture, but at this point I
                        just want to know who she was.

                        Thank you for any help.
                        Alan Clarke

                        *AETHERA NOBIS*

                      • nelinks@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 20, 2011
                          Seeking parents of Lydia Arnold born 8 jan 1702/3 Providence. died 23 Jan
                          1729
                          She married Nathaniel Jenckes.
                          Thanks!
                          Lee

                        • M.E.Sorensen

                            On 4/20/11 1:20 PM, Gloria Silverman wrote:

                            > Hi Alan,
                            > I don't have any pictures but I do have Emily
                            > Gertrude's family lineage if you are interested.
                            > Gloria (Albro) Silverman

                            I'm very interested, Gloria. I'm trying to honor her by
                            putting her in place with the other historians of East
                            Greenwich. She has a DAR bronze at her grave with her
                            name on it , so I think that and having her lineage
                            gives her a lot of credibility.

                            It would be nice to have a picture, but at this point I
                            just want to know who she was.

                            Thank you for any help.
                            Alan Clarke

                            *AETHERA NOBIS*

                          • anne-ology
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Just a couple suggestions you may or may not have done:
                              have you contacted the NSDAR - National Society - for any
                              information they might have?
                              have you contacted the local DAR chapters in the greater area?
                              have you contacted the NSSAR - National Society Sons of the Am.
                              Rev.?
                              have you contacted the local SAR chapters in the greater area?

                            • GClarke688@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                                You might try the East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society. Just google their website they have an email contact. Good Luck

                                Geri

                              • Alan Clarke
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 16, 2011
                                  On 6/16/11 2:16 AM, GClarke688@... wrote:

                                  > You might try the East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society. Just
                                  > google their website they have an email contact. Good Luck
                                  >
                                  > Geri

                                  Thanks, Geri. You're kidding, right?
                                  I'd decline that and ask someone on the street first. :-)
                                  But this search for the elusive Gertrude has been settled a while back
                                  when Gloria came to my rescue. I don't know how the topic got resurrected.

                                • ntmauro43
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 16, 2011
                                    Alan, You might want to try the papers that Violet Kettelle left. She may have researched Arnold's along with Briggs. She did so many local families. Call me I can get onto the DAR website 706-636-2657 and I will do any look ups for you that you want.

                                  • cdcargill@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 16, 2011
                                      If your looking for Arnolds... ..my husband had a Dorcus Arnold b 1732-1825..who married David Cargill...  her father was Daniel 1699-1773,,,,,his father was Richard 1642-1710...and his father was Thomas Arnold..b. England 1599 -1674 d. R.I. These would be the R.I.connections..

                                      Carole Potter Cargill