Re: [RI_Ancestors] Sprague Database Update

  • Scott Bill Hirst
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
      Hi!
       This is the web site address http://www.sprague-database.org ,.
      Regards,
      Scott

      Scott Bill Hirst
      20 Maple Court
      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
      (401)377-4643
      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

      --- On Sat, 1/29/11, Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:

      From: Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...>
      Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Sprague Database Update
      To: ri_ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 9:58 AM

      Hi!
       Today an update of the Sprague database is being done. I would check tomorrow so new information will be added. I have Benn on today and did not have a problem. But an e-mail I received said it would not be fully available or something like that. Interesting the Governors been and murder victim Amasa Sprague are not that distantly related to me, I learned some time ago. Like third or fourth cousins, some times removed. It needs to be remembered that the second Governor Sprague of Rhode Island was nephew of the first Governor Sprague. The second Governor Sprague was the son of murder victim Amasa Sprague.
       One interesting Sprague is Lucille Ball.
      Relatively yours,
      Scott

      Scott Bill Hirst
      20 Maple Court
      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
      (401)377-4643
      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

    • louisabishfaw
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
        Thanks for letting us know cousin!

        Louisa

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
          Hi!
           My grandfather James Bard Bill, is ID# I13834 on the Sprague web site. So murder victim Amasa Sprague is ID# I53047 ,. They are fourth cousins, four times removed. Amasa and his brother Governor and U.S. Senator William Sprague would be my fourth cousins, six times removed. Amasa's son Governor and U.S. Senator William Sprague would be my fifth cousin, five times removed. Lucille Ball, also a Sprague is ID# I13834,.
           Check out the Bill family on http://politicalgraveyard.com ,. It does need updating. However I am more closely related to Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Greene and the Perry Brothers. It needs to be remembered that Christopher Raymond Perry,the Perry Brothers Oliver Hazard and Matthew Calbriath, Nathaniel, and two of my direct ancestors were second cousins. Colonial Governor Benedict Arnold's brother Stephen is my direct line, and I have other notable Rhode Island tie-ins.
           The first town clerk of Hopkinton Simeon Perry, also an early town clerk of Richmond, I have two lines from and his sister Elizabeth wife of Elisha Babcock, I have three lines.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
            Louisa,
                Are you a Sprague descendant? If so, then you are also a Jordan descendant. Elder David Spraue who married Sarah or Elizabeth Jordan at Milton, Mass. her sister Naomi Jordan married John Taylor, also at Milton, Ma. so even though I am not a Sprague descendant, we are cousins.  by the way, the mother of the Jordan children and wife of John Jordan has been identified as a daughter of Richard Sylvester.
            Don Taylor

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
              Yes, I am a Sprague descendant, I am also a descendant of the Gardners, Teffts, and Barbers! On both my mom's side and my dad's side! My nearest Sprague Grandparent is Joanna Sprague married to John Tefft Sr. Then I am a grand-daughter of both their son Joseph Tefft who married Esther Brownell(Mom's side) and their daughter Mercy Tefft who married James Rogers III (Dad's side). How's that one for ya! LOL! So my Grandpa is my Uncle and my Aunt is my Grandma! ROFL!

              Louisa

              --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Donald Taylor <dtaylor120@...> wrote:

              > Louisa,
              >     Are you a Sprague descendant? If so, then you are also a Jordan descendant. Elder David Spraue who married Sarah or Elizabeth Jordan at Milton, Mass. her sister Naomi Jordan married John Taylor, also at Milton, Ma. so even though I am not a Sprague descendant, we are cousins.  by the way, the mother of the Jordan children and wife of John Jordan has been identified as a daughter of Richard Sylvester.
              > Don Taylor

            • Scott Bill Hirst
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
                Hi!
                 Would that be the Rogers family out of New London, Connecticut. I am a direct descendant of Judith Rogers, second wife of Thomas Potter. Also his first wife Mary Babcock. I have Brownells that goes into the Hazard family,among others.
                 My Tefft lineage was in debate. I am a descendant of Mary Tefft who married Peter Tefft then married a Matthew Newton. Timothy Tefft of Lisbon Falls, Maine does a Tefft newsletter.
                Relatively yours,
                Scott

                Scott Bill Hirst
                20 Maple Court
                Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                (401)377-4643
                Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                Yes, I am a Sprague descendant, I am also a descendant of the Gardners, Teffts, and Barbers! On both my mom's side and my dad's side! My nearest Sprague Grandparent is Joanna Sprague married to John Tefft Sr. Then I am a grand-daughter of both their son Joseph Tefft who married Esther Brownell(Mom's side) and their daughter Mercy Tefft who married James Rogers III (Dad's side). How's that one for ya! LOL! So my Grandpa is my Uncle and my Aunt is my Grandma! ROFL!

                Louisa

                --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Donald Taylor <dtaylor120@...> wrote:

                > Louisa,
                >     Are you a Sprague descendant? If so, then you are also a Jordan descendant. Elder David Spraue who married Sarah or Elizabeth Jordan at Milton, Mass. her sister Naomi Jordan married John Taylor, also at Milton, Ma. so even though I am not a Sprague descendant, we are cousins.  by the way, the mother of the Jordan children and wife of John Jordan has been identified as a daughter of Richard Sylvester.
                > Don Taylor

              • louisabishfaw
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Scott, you have talked/wrote with me before on the Teffts and you've been in communication with my dad (Larry Bish) as well. We are prob cousins several times over thru different lines. I know Dad has said that he has us connected to Lucille Ball (as do you) but he said it is closer than the Sprague line is.

                  Rogers Line - My 12th great grandmother Elizabeth Rogers was born abt 1550 in England. She married George Mowery (c. 1550, England). James Rogers III (1719 RI - 1775 NY) is the son of James Rogers and Elizabeth Reynolds, both of RI, are my 9th great grandparents.

                  Barber Line - My 10th great grandparents are John Tefft (1614-1679) and Mary Barber (1618-1979) of RI.

                  Far as I can see I am not directly related to Thomas Potter nor Mary Babcock. I have them in the tree (tho not Judith Rogers) as I do have a lot of Babcocks I am connected to.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Hi!
                     There will be a Mowry reunion coming up when I locate the card I will advise on the details. Lucille Ball is a Roger Mowry descendant as well as U.S. Senators, Lowell P. Weicker,Jr.,Nelson Aldrich and his great grandson current West Virginia u.S. Senator "Jay" Rockefeller. Vice President Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller is "jay's" uncle.
                     Is your Mowery the same as Mowry?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 4, 2011
                      My dad could tell ya in a snap but my mind just can't keep track of so much! LOL! I will look it up.

                      My common nearest grandparents that I share with Lucille Ball is Jonathan Sprague and Mehitable Holbrook (9th great to me). I know dad said something about other connections besides the Sprague side to her.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 4, 2011
                        Okay, I have Roger Mowry b. Dec 1610 m. Mary Johnson b. 1614, they are my 10th great grandparents. Is this the Roger you are talking about? If so, then yes, I am of these Mowry's. *G*

                        Louisa

                        (PS, forgive me if I sometimes forget to add my name at the end of my posts, habit from using facebook so much!)

                      • nelinks@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 4, 2011
                          Hello cousin! Jonathan and Mehitable are my 7th great grand parents.
                          Lee in Nebraska

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 4, 2011
                            Hi!
                             I am a Holbrook also. Lydia Holbrook married Jonathan Fairbanks. President William Howard Taft is a Holbrook also.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 4, 2011
                              Scott.. who were Lydia's parents? I have Thomas, but conflicting
                              information on her mother.
                              Thanks!
                              Lee in Nebraska

                              In a message dated 2/4/2011 3:31:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                              scottbillhirst@... writes:

                              Lydia Holbrook married Jonathan Fairbanks

                            • SANDRA JOHANSEN
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 4, 2011
                                Hi Scott,
                                is your Jonathan Fairbanks the father of John Fairbanks b. Dedham who married
                                Hannah Whiting in Dedham in 1651?
                                Any connection to Capt. Seth Holbrook Bellingham VR p. 116 3 Nov 1833 who filed
                                intentions with Mrs. Olive Hill

                                ps did you win the Alden rug this year?Sandy from Co.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 5, 2011
                                  Hi!
                                   I think it was Thomas. I will check with Fairbanks source. I belong to Fairbanks Family In America www.fairbankshouse.org .  I am interested in the Holbrook lineage and need to know more.
                                   In 1970 I attended the National Agricultural Youth Institute in Nebaraska for a couple of weeks. I was employed at Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut; that made the Trident Submarine Nebraska. I have been designated the Grand Representative for Rhode Island's Royal Arch Masons to Nebraska. I am Grand Historian for Rhode Island's Royal Arch Masons.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 6, 2011
                                    Well Hello there! Send me your line to them so dad and I can add u to our trees! Always nice to make connections with others!

                                    Louisa

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 6, 2011
                                      I don't show either Lydia or President Taft in my files.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                                        Hi!
                                         Yes it is. I am a descendant of Mehitable Mowry wife of Eldad Kingsley. This is
                                        Weicker's line. Reunion in June.

                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi!
                                        >  There will be a Mowry reunion coming up when I locate the card I will advise
                                        >on the details. Lucille Ball is a Roger Mowry descendant as well as U.S.
                                        >Senators, Lowell P. Weicker,Jr.,Nelson Aldrich and his great grandson current
                                        >West Virginia u.S. Senator "Jay" Rockefeller. Vice President Nelson Aldrich
                                        >Rockefeller is "jay's" uncle.
                                        >  Is your Mowery the same as Mowry?
                                        > Relatively yours,
                                        > Scott
                                        >
                                        > Scott Bill Hirst
                                        > 20 Maple Court
                                        > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                                        > (401)377-4643
                                        > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                                      • John Ruggles
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                                          I am as well if anyone is interested. (John W. Ruggles, II)

                                          Eldad Kingsley m Mehitable Morey (Mowry) and had Jonathan Kingsley who m Mary Cole and had

                                          Mary Kingsley who m Thomas Peck who had Peleg Peck who m Phebe Mason and had Hezekiah Peck

                                          Who m Abigail Gray and had Sarah Gray Peck who m Eleazer Waldron and had Henry Waldron who m

                                          Clarissa Carter and had Adelaide Waldron who m Hiram Wilde and Had Clara Wilde who m John Ruggles

                                          My ggrandfather.

                                          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> , Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...>

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 7, 2011
                                            I also have a Bish reunion and a Keith reunion in June. Prob only one I will make it to (if I'm off that weekend) is the Keith one as it is closest and is ran by my mom....first one since my step-dad died, it is for his side of the family. She likes for me to come and help her out. *G*

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 7, 2011
                                              Glad to meet ya cousin! Will have to save and enter you line. I haven't really worked on the Mowry line but looks like I need to! *G* Most recently I've been working on the Tanners again...this time the Utah branches as I've recently met (online) a couple of cousins from that side (They are Teffts as well!)

                                              Louisa