Re: [RI_Ancestors] Scandinavains

  • HDBiker1@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
      Speaking of Scandinavians ..... and I certainly mean no offense with
      this, I seriously don't know what it means nor it's origin. I've
      sometimes heard people of Scandinavian countries referred to as "
      Square Heads ".

      Does anybody know where this came from and what it means ?

      Bob A.

      Port Orange, FL

      On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Arlan Maguire wrote:

      In my Irish research I have found many families where siblings spell
      their
      surname different, in my own line I have Maguire and McGuire cousins
      who are
      siblings

      Then there are the Scandinavians, good luck with them
    • Bonnie Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
        Sorry, never heard that term in my life.

        My mother was Scandinavian, Denmark & Sweden.

        Arlan, is correct about trying to find your roots. Each generation took the father's first name as a last name. Same as the Welsh, prior to 1750.

        So, if you have an Andrew Pederson, he would name his son Peter Andrewson (Anderson) or a daughter would be Anderdotter.

        It's all very confusing.

        Bonnie

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
          It refers to German, Dutch, and Scandinavian persons whose heads and
          jawlines appear
          somewhat square or rectangular

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
            Square heads | Define Square heads at Dictionary.com-noun Slang . 1. a stupid person. 2. Disparaging and Offensive . a. a German or Dutch person. b. a Scandinavian, esp. a Swede. Use square heads in a Sentence See images of ...
            dictionary.reference.com/browse/square+heads ยท Cached page

            Here's a better one:

            http://uprightdoctor.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/square-heads-and-ms/

            Speaking of Scandinavians ..... and I certainly mean no offense with
            this, I seriously don't know what it means nor it's origin. I've
            sometimes heard people of Scandinavian countries referred to as "
            Square Heads ".

            Does anybody know where this came from and what it means ?

            Bob A.

            Port Orange, FL

            On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Arlan Maguire wrote:

            In my Irish research I have found many families where siblings spell
            their
            surname different, in my own line I have Maguire and McGuire cousins
            who are
            siblings

            Then there are the Scandinavians, good luck with them

          • Melissa Craven Fowler
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
              http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/squarehead
              http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squarehead
              Squarehead is a late 19th century ethnic slur directed at German and Scandinavian immigrants. The phrase is meant quite literally as a disparaging reference to the cranial features, though often just used as a generic ethnic slur against those groups.

              Speaking of Scandinavians ..... and I certainly mean no offense with
              this, I seriously don't know what it means nor it's origin. I've
              sometimes heard people of Scandinavian countries referred to as "
              Square Heads ".

              Does anybody know where this came from and what it means ?

              Bob A.

              Port Orange, FL

              On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Arlan Maguire wrote:

              In my Irish research I have found many families where siblings spell
              their
              surname different, in my own line I have Maguire and McGuire cousins
              who are
              siblings

              Then there are the Scandinavians, good luck with them

            • Charlie Carpenter
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
                I for some reason missed a request for information on the Campbell family of R.I. My Maternal line is Duncan Campbell b Scotland wife ---?-- whose son James Campbell married Ann Trumbull both of Scotland came to Philadelphia,Penn then to Connecticutt and into R.I.in c1850s. There are many Campbells living today in Washington County, R.I.

                Charlie C