Arlene - Olney/Angell land & Sweet House North Providence

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2010
      Hi Arlene,

      Hope everyone here had a nice a Thanksgiving as we did. Now that the Thanksgiving hub-bub has finished, I'm getting to my mail.

      "In the memo written here a few days past, a house was mentioned...." Ahh, that was my "Home History - Olney, Angell, Burr, Sweet & Shadoian" thread.

      Thanks for all the dates. Of the names in your list those directly connected to the original land & thus by extention, the 75 Angell Ave home my daughter & her husband just bought are Thomas Angell & wife Alice Ashton; John Angell & wife Ruth Fields and Daniel Angell & wife Hannah Winsor were, by my research so far, direct ancestors of Thomas Holden Angell who deeded off the portion of land 75 Angell was built on and whose daughter Alice married Louis Sweet & were the first owners/occupants of 75 Angell Ave.

      I'll check your information against what I found since your data is sure to be accurate. I know I wasn't sure of who Thomas Angell's wife had been as I'd seen both a Mary Small & an Alice Ashton mentioned as spouses but felt from all I'd seen that Alice was "it".

      I'm still unsure, though, as to what wife Ashton's given name really was. Since I posted I've found a couple of things that say her name was Marie which then makes a certain sense that some researchers have thought that Thomas' wife was named Mary Small. Unfortunately, since I did do some of this late at night & was groggy, on that immediately following I neglected to copy the addy where I found it & will have to go back and re-hunt it :(

      - "The American Genealogist, Vol. 20, Number 4, April 1944, page 228: 'Thomas Olney. His wife was not Marie Small but Mary Ashton; their marriage was recorded in the register of St. Albans Abbey, Herts, on 16 Sep 1629. She was baptized there on 25 Aug 1605, the daughter of James Ashton who was buried on 27 May 1651.'"

      - Father: Thomas OLNEY , Jr. b: 6 JUN 1600 in St.Albans, Hertfordshire, England
      Mother: Marie (Mary) ASHTON b: 25 AUG 1605 in St.Albans, Hertfordshire, England (This with regards to either son Thomas or son Epenetus)

      Attached to the tree found here were these sources:

      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/o/l/s/Joan-H-Olsson/GENE19-0001.html Descendants of Thomas Olney

      - A Genealogy of the Descendants of Thomas Olney an Original Proprietor of Providence, RI, Who Came From England in 1635. by James H. Olney of Providence, RI, 1889 -- A list of his appointments/offices w/dates within the settlement in the tree notes.

      - Complete Book of Emigrants 1607-1640' Peter W. Coldham, p.128 22 Mar-11 Apr 1635; The following passangers, having taken the oaths, are to be embarked in the 'Planter', Mr. Nicholas Travice, bound from London to New England.; 'With certificate from St. Albans parish, Herts.; Thomas Olney, shoemaker 35, Marie Olney 30, Thomas Olney 3, Epenetus Olney 1.

      - 'Passengers to America - Founders of New England' by M. Tepper p16-17 2 Aprilis 1635 Theis vnder written names are to be transported to New England imbarqued in the Planter Nic: Trarice Mr bound thither the p'ties have brought Certificate from the Minister of St Albons (St. Albans) in Hertfordshire, and Attestacon from the Justices of peace according to the Lords Order. Tho: Olney Shoemaker 35, Marie Olney 30, Tho Olney 3, Etenetus --

      So was Thomas Olney's wife named Marie Ashton or Alice Ashton or maybe the answer could be that she was Marie Alice or Alice Marie?

      Other than my confusion over Thomas' wife's given name and keeping in mind that most of my sources weren't primary, does what I cobbled together & posted look accurate with respect to the sequences in the lines of decendancy for Thomas Angell & Alice/Marie Ashton?

      Matthew Sweet and the other Sweet"s you've included aren't in Louis Sweet's direct line & not connected with this property as near as I've found so far.

      So far as pix of the 1914 house, I'm hoping to find some period photos but have to first catch-up with the man who is now town historian. Lots of voice mail but no human contact yet.

      There is one recent pix of 75 Angell Ave on the town tax site:

      http://www.appraisalresource.com/PropertyDetail.aspx?id=2641&town=North Providence

      I don't know when the photo was taken but the railing on the top of the porch is gone as are the big shrubs immediately in front ot the porch. the garage just visable in the corner is also freshly painted...chocolate brown again like the top portion of the house.

      The Trulia real estate site has more recent pix of the property as it looks now - no shrubs or rail on 2nd floor/porch roof.

      http://www.trulia.com/property/3023518344-75-Angell-Ave-North-Providence-RI-02911

      Sadly, the circa 1700 home built by Epenetus Olney, Jr., from which a portion the land was deeded off around 1914 for 75 Angell, is long gone. Such a shame that a house with that historic value...according to Frank Angell in 1909, the house was the very first house built in what would come to be known as Centerdale...would be demolished rather than preserved.

      There is an old pix of that house in Angell's 1909 "Annals of Centerdale" which is at Google books. I believe you need to choose the pdf format for the photos in the book to appear. One of the things I'm hoping to find out is just when the home was demolished as well as find some other pix of it.

      Off to NP town hall for me to dig around in land evidence books, plat maps, probate and old vitals books on the former owners. Thanks, Arlene.

      Linda