We have lost one of the BEST

  • Jan Robison
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
      Hello, all,

      This is MAW, and there is something stuck in my craw that you all need to hear.

      We had one of the BEST researchers, for many years, unsub today. S/he has ALWAYS been one to assist, for at least 12 years, to my knowledge. Now, s/he is GONE!

      A few things to prevent losing GREAT sources and HELPERS, try this in the future:

      Like my ancestors always said, "IF you're going to gripe, offer a solution!"

      Okay, that being said... If you want to complain about the "format" someone uses, do NOT air that on the list. If you download or open a file that has a "double" extension, save it then rename it without the last .rtf or whatever the extension is. .rtf is UNIVERSAL and can be opened in ANY word processing application. If you do not have an application on your computer that will open other sorts of files, just let Paw or me know! We CAN and WILL assist. Between the two of us, we have almost every application to help!!!

      Thank you for reading...

      Maw
    • alrose509@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
        Hey, MAW. Well said. Lots of good being done here ... but every so often
        some /$#^&!!! does a "broadcast" without understanding the result.

        Hang in there gang, this is one hell of a great group.

        Al Rose
        ps I have no idea who just unsubd but if MAW says that person was a solid
        contributor ... it's fact.

        ==================

        In a message dated 07-Oct-2010 07:58:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • Jan
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
          Al,

          s/he sent me a personal email... S/he mentored me, BIG TIME, since 1998, to make me the researcher I am... Taught ME where to look, what to look for to document, document, document! Without him/her, I would never be doing what I am doing NOW!! 'tis a great loss, absolutely!

          That, again being said, BE KIND to those who are here on this list! I have "other words" I would adore saying, but....

          Thanks, Al!!!

          Maw

          .......REMEMBER......
          If you forward this e-mail, PLEASE HIGHLIGHT AND DELETE ALL OLD ADDRESSES AND then use Bcc TO SEND TO MORE THAN ONE MAIL RECIPIENT.
          Please be kind to our e-mail friends and help keep our private e-mail addresses away from spammers!

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2010
            Thanks Jan for sending that out, that is soooo sad.

            Nancy-Jo Nunez
            A genealogy enthusiast
            Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

[...]

            ------------------------------------
            Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
            isits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
            here is a lot of information there and more being added daily
            The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy
            harts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours
            The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of
            our favorite sources
            At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos
            ploaded by others
            The "Database" area is my favorite,
            hat is where you may list your surnames of interest,
            ist your brick wall
            ist your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources Yahoo! Groups
            inks
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • louisabishfaw
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 13, 2010
              Sorry to hear this. I don't always post alot but I do read what comes thru. Am not working on my RI lines at this time, but will if something comes up to pull me back in that direction! *G* Most recently I have been working on the Wolfgang and Bish surnames, in the PA area.

              Good Researchers willing to help is hard to find, maybe in time we can hope he/she would decide to return. If there is anything I can do please let me know.

              Louisa

            • patriciajhansen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 13, 2010
                Louisa, I can not agree with you that people won't help, which is what I
                think you meant to say.

                I have made contact with all sorts of people over the years, nearly all of
                them believing in the importance of primary records, and the type of
                people who were very willing to help.

                One gentleman, who happened to be in an area doing research on a line I was
                trying to research, sent me hundreds of digital photographs, very well
                done, along with paper copies via snail mail. He and his wife even spent a
                couple of extra weeks in the area so he could gather more information for
                me. We shared a common ancestor, so it was one cousin helping another.

                There is a dear Lady, on this list, who shares a surname that has been a
                brick wall for me, has been very helpful even though we have not found a
                connection yet. She has also made contact with other researchers of the
                surname, sharing my information and asking them to see what they might be able
                to find.

                There are countless others too, sometimes with connections, sometimes with
                reference books, and sometimes filling a unique need. In turn I try to
                help others whenever I can.

                It is my experience that most genealogists are very willing to share what
                they have, and discuss possibilities, or check nearby sources, and also
                cheer loudly when a break through is found! We each have researched some
                lines more intensely, along with various brick walls. This passion is very
                addictive, but it is a good addiction. Each time we find another ancestor, we
                need to learn about that person's siblings and parents, and then the
                parent's parents.... Being able to break down brick walls with primary evidence
                is fantastic, but at times we have to start with secondary information.
                Different communities around Rhode Island have very different record
                standards. Some areas are excellent, while other areas seem to be awful. We need
                to figure out the other areas to try to make them more useful in our
                research.

                The binary number system will add 1 to 1 and come up with 10. By working
                with others, we can all accomplish more than by working alone....

                Patricia

                In a message dated 10/13/2010 9:56:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                Lanne271@... writes:

                Good Researchers willing to help is hard to find, maybe in time we can
                hope he/she would decide to return.

              • Bonnie Weber
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 14, 2010
                  Bravo Patricia!

                  That says it all

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
                    I am always willing to help out from what I can in my area, we have an excellant Genealogy Library here with books for all states...some are for census records, marriage records, tax records, etc...there is also a section that is by surname, books bought or donated to the library that are related to certain names I (I just went thru one looking for the Flick name in a certain area..search was for John Flick, but the search lead me to Lydia Flick, correct area and time period so now I guess I'll have to see if she is connected). Google books had lead me to it and I was excited that our Library had it! This is a Private Library, they perfer you to be a resident here, but do offer short term non-resident memberships. I am in Evansville, IN so if anyone would like to me try a look up here for someone, I'd be glad to try! I don't get too many requests tho. I have found many cousins and we do help each other out and share info. Some of these I have hooked up with on Facebook so it's great to be able to stay in touch that way!

                    I spend my time at work on my phone, on the internet using Newsbank, I have gotten tons and tons of obits and other newspaper articles this way on my surnames and it is the only place I have found archive copies of the Erie Times-News which is a main area/paper for us! I can do any look-ups there for anyone who cannot get access using their library card.

                    Louisa

                    --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, patriciajhansen@... wrote:

                    > Louisa, I can not agree with you that people won't help, which is what I
                    > think you meant to say.
                    >
                    > I have made contact with all sorts of people over the years, nearly all of
                    > them believing in the importance of primary records, and the type of
                    > people who were very willing to help.
                    >
                    > One gentleman, who happened to be in an area doing research on a line I was
                    > trying to research, sent me hundreds of digital photographs, very well
                    > done, along with paper copies via snail mail. He and his wife even spent a
                    > couple of extra weeks in the area so he could gather more information for
                    > me. We shared a common ancestor, so it was one cousin helping another.
                    >
                    > There is a dear Lady, on this list, who shares a surname that has been a
                    > brick wall for me, has been very helpful even though we have not found a
                    > connection yet. She has also made contact with other researchers of the
                    > surname, sharing my information and asking them to see what they might be able
                    > to find.
                    >
                    > There are countless others too, sometimes with connections, sometimes with
                    > reference books, and sometimes filling a unique need. In turn I try to
                    > help others whenever I can.
                    >
                    > It is my experience that most genealogists are very willing to share what
                    > they have, and discuss possibilities, or check nearby sources, and also
                    > cheer loudly when a break through is found! We each have researched some
                    > lines more intensely, along with various brick walls. This passion is very
                    > addictive, but it is a good addiction. Each time we find another ancestor, we
                    > need to learn about that person's siblings and parents, and then the
                    > parent's parents.... Being able to break down brick walls with primary evidence
                    > is fantastic, but at times we have to start with secondary information.
                    > Different communities around Rhode Island have very different record
                    > standards. Some areas are excellent, while other areas seem to be awful. We need
                    > to figure out the other areas to try to make them more useful in our
                    > research.
                    >
                    > The binary number system will add 1 to 1 and come up with 10. By working
                    > with others, we can all accomplish more than by working alone....
                    >
                    > Patricia
                    >

                    > In a message dated 10/13/2010 9:56:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                    > Lanne271@... writes:
                    >
                    > Good Researchers willing to help is hard to find, maybe in time we can
                    > hope he/she would decide to return.

                  • Jay Kubik
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
                      Hello Louise -

                      Thank you for your kind offer of look ups.  I have been looking for a marriage record of my great grandparents for many years.  The names are:  Michael Garrahan (could be various spellings) and Mary Reynolds.  They are both Irish immigrants.  The first child was born in Pascoag, RI in 1868.  They are RC.  I have also searched for a marriage record in Ireland.

                      The only paid site I have access to is ancestry.

                      Many thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

                      Jeannine
                      NC

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
                        Hi
                        I couldn't find a marriage, but he arrived in New York 16 May 1859 on ship Jacob. A. Westervelt. Mary didn't arrive until 1 Oct 1866. Forgot towrite the ship's name.

                        They could possibly been married in NY.

                        Bonnie
                        From: Louisa Ann <lanne271@...>
                        To: "Jay Kubik" <jayghkubik@...>
                        Date: Friday, October 15, 2010, 1:26 PM

                        Hi Jeannine! I have made a note of your request. I was just at the library on Tuesday as we had our monthly TSGS meeting (I go in early to do look-ups before the meetings) and it being Friday, it will be at least one night next week before I get back up there, but I will take what you have given me and will see if I can find anything. What info do you have already on them so I don't try to send what you already have...such as Census, etc...what are the names of their children so I know if I have the right couple or not?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
                          Thanks, Bonnie for the information.  I have seen that listing in 1859 for Michael Garrahan.  I suspect that is the correct one.  There were a few other people by that name that came from Ireland.  If you can think of the name of the ship in 1866 I would love to look at that manifest.  There were a number of Mary Reynolds that immigrated and I would like to peruse the manifest to see if I recognize any other names.  Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

                          Best regards,
                          Jeannine

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 19, 2010
                            Jeannine - Don't want you to think I forgot about you...I haven't. Went to Willard for our monthly meeting and checked thru a couple of books for your surname - sorry to say I did not find anything...but will keep trying when I am able to get over there which isn't often right now as we're short handed (2 people) at work so we're all working extra hours every week! I am working 6 days this next week including Thanksgiving...but Friday I am off - PAID, so will be paid for 7 days! Can't wait to see that check! Anyhow, just wanted to let you know I did look and will look some more when I can.

                            Louisa