Re: British Vitals from Eureka, part II

  • armchair_genealogist
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8 7:50 PM
      Thank you for the response.We have done quite a bit of the ground work and are pretty confident that we have correctly identified many but many more we are not certain.I have gotten vitals from the Scottish site but some of my ancestors moved back and forth between Scotland and England,they were sort of like sheeple and wandered about quite a bit!Half the documents I got from Scottish site were not my family but this is what happens when you are researching a William Young and family in Scotland.Is there an email way to acquire these documents or mail only?Thank you for the help....Mike

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <miyukichan0987@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Date of Registration,Registrar's Name & Signature,
      > Child's Revised Name (if any, after registration).
      >
      > Marriages :
      > District, Church, Parish, Location,
      > Date of Marriage, Forename & Surnames, Ages,
      > Marital Conditions, Professions, Addresses,
      > Father's Forename & Surname, Father's Occupations, for both parties present.
      > Witness names, Priest/Vicar's Name,& Signature
      >
      > Deaths :
      > District, Location, Date & Place of Death,
      > Forename & Surname, Sex, Maiden Name,
      > Date & Place of Birth, Occupation, Usual Address,
      > Informant's Forename & Surname,
      > Informant's Qualification, Informant's Address,
      > Cause of Death, Signature of Informant,
      > Registration Date, Registrar's Signature.
      >

      > BTW - Vitals registrations began in July 1837 so the earliest BMD registrations you will be able to find are for the Sept 1837 Quarter. Also, for vital events right at the end of a registration quarter, you may find the event registered in the following quarter. And, if you get a birth registration with a time of birth, that indicates that it was a multiple birth & you should look for other sibs.
      >
      > On the FreeBMD results pages for marriages, if you click on the page number, it will give you a listing of all the people on that page and depending upon what you know of the couple whos marriage you're looking for a registration for, you can often discover the woman's maiden name from this list unless there are more than one woman listed of a particular given name.
      >

      > Linda
      >

      > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist" <bingo0212@> wrote:
      > >

      > > My wife has many English ancestors as two of her grandparents came over from there.As far as vital records,what information can I expect to find on such a document.Also is there a way to whittle down the candidates of likely relatives that pop up when you search the BMD.I have an 1840 birth along with many various post 1850 death and marriage records.Is there anyone in the group who can tell me what I can expect to find in one of these vital records?............Mike
      > >

      > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, boles <rejoyce@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Joyce Boles wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Many of the old documents in the National Archives of the UK are
      > > > available for speedy download and photocopies. All the old documents,
      > > > millions of them, are now available online.
      > > >

      > > > I just bought a copy of the John Mumford Privateer will for only 3.50
      > > > pounds sterling, and delivery was instantaneous! This guy is a cousin
      > > > of one of my cousins, and he is delighted to find a genuine pirate in
      > > > his family tree. Previously, he had claimed only Stephen Mumford, the
      > > > first Seventh Day Sabbatarian in America, or a religious cult leader,
      > > > depending on one's point of view.
      > > >
      > > > My only gripe is that the document is only a photocopy of a page in an
      > > > old book, and is not suitable for framing without a lot of new hand

    • boles
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 9 9:37 AM
        joyce Boles wrote:

        The General Records Office has materials from 1850 and later, which is
        really quite recent. Or am I missing something?

        These records are so new that they are assumed to be in existence, and
        to be spelled right, and may not be of interest.

        Of course, there is that one g-grandmother from the Isle of Man . . .

        On 9/10/2010 12:22 AM, Linda Peloquin wrote:

> [...]
        > looking for a registration for, you can often discover the woman's
        > maiden name from this list unless there are more than one woman listed
        > of a particular given name.
        > >

        > > Linda
        > >

        > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>, "armchair_genealogist"
        > <bingo0212@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > My wife has many English ancestors as two of her grandparents came
        > over from there.As far as vital records,what information can I expect
        > to find on such a document.Also is there a way to whittle down the
        > candidates of likely relatives that pop up when you search the BMD.I
        > have an 1840 birth along with many various post 1850 death and
        > marriage records.Is there anyone in the group who can tell me what I
        > can expect to find in one of these vital records?............Mike

      • Linda Peloquin
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9 4:22 PM
          Hey Mike,

          Well, if it's vital registrations from England then follow the links or use this link from yesterday's post then you can order online & pay with a credit card:  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

          I don't know if there's a Scotish version to FreeBMD but it is part of the UK so there is probably something somewhere.  Googled & found this:   http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/%c2%a0%c2%a0 Links to http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/%c2%a0 I've never done Scots' records so I don't know much about researching Scots ancestors.

        • armchair_genealogist
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9 7:10 PM
            Thank you,I will be ordering vital records for sure and will see if I can find more at the archive site.The Scottish website is click on it and you are looking at the original document for vitals and census.30 credits for 6 pound sterling.5 credits to look at a document and 1 for a search result page.