Re: Family History Center microfilms

  • Bill Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2010
      Yes, the Family History Library has microfilms all the old records in
      Rhode Island and they are available through Family History Centers in
      local Mormon churches.

      The FHL has films of stuff no longer available in the town halls. For
      exampe: the index card index to vital records found in Vol 1 of the
      Richmond Land Records. It was there in the town hall when I visited in
      one year about 1990. The next year it was gone and no one seemed to know
      what I was talking about. The FHL has this on microfilm.

      OTOH there is stuff at the town halls that has not been microfilmed.
      Charlestown has a manuscript cemetery gravestone listing done during the
      1970s. The FHL microfilming was done before the town hall acquired this
      listing. Of course, a more complete book of Charlestown gravestones has
      now been published.

      Even though I made numerous pilgimages to RI when I was researching my
      RI lines over a 20 year period, I could have saved a lot of money, but
      had less fun, by sticking to the microfilms at the Fam Hist Centers.
      Take a look at the Family History Library catalog on line at
      familysearch.org to see what is available.

      Bill Wright