Re: [RI_Ancestors] What success in Westerly?

  • boles
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2010
      Boles:

      What is SLC?

      I am such a greenhorn, I don't know all these acronyms.

      On 9/1/2010 3:26 PM, Donna Potter wrote:

> [...]
      > > in another book, you have to start all over. That can be time
      > > consuming, especially if the clerk is really busy. Also, many town
      > > halls are only open 7.5-8 hours a day so that limits the amount of
      > > time you have on any day.
      > >
      > > There are other town halls that just have you sign in and then you are
      > > free to head in to the vault alone. Some of them do not care for
      > > people who ask questions though, so if you cannot find what you want,
      > > you may be facing a snotty clerk.
      > >
      > > Many, if not all, the RI town records are microfilmed and available at
      > > RIHS where you can just go in the drawer and pull the film you need
      > > and read away, unless there are a lot of people who want to use the
      > > microfilm readers that day.
      > >
      > > A few years ago we did a survey on the old list and got feedback from
      > > people who had been to particular town halls to see which ones were
      > > friendly and which ones were not. Most got very good recommendations -
      > > EG, Warwick, Providence, Cranston, Exeter were all rated pretty well.
      > > Newport was panned, as was North Kingstown. Charlestown, Richmond,
      > > Hopkinton, South Kingstown all fell in the middle. In general the
      > > clerks work hard to protect the records so that is why they have set
      > > the requirement in many towns that you show proof of membership in an
      > > incorporated genealogical society. Genealogists, whether pro or
      > > amateur, know how valuable the records are and would not do anything
      > > to harm them. Someone who is simply on a lark to prove whether or not
      > > his 5th great grandpa fathered 5 illegitimate kids per family legend
      > > though might rip the page out and walk off with it. Charlestown in
      > > particular has had issues with people ripping pages out of the books
      > > if the pages showed Native American ancestry. If clerks did not
      > > protect the records, there might not be any for us to see at all.
      > >
      > > Donna in RI
      > > ---- boles <rejoyce@...
      > </do/mail/message/mailto?to=rejoyce%2540spiritone.com>> wrote:
      > > >

      > > Joyce Boles wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone gone to Westerly to read historic documents? What luck did
      > > you have?
      > >
      > > I am getting resistance from the Town Clerk's office, which is reporting
      > > that only registered genealogists may search records. If RI has a
      > > public records law, this restriction is probably illegal.
      > >
      > > Other records are with the historical society and the library, I am
      > told.
      > >
      > > Is the volume of records so great one cannot read them all in a two-week
      > > period?
      > >
      > > What is the volume of records, exactly?
      > >
      > > How many persons on this list are interested in such an effort? I am
      > > looking at next April. I am thinking that a group descent on the Town
      > > Hall might break open any resistance.
      > >
      > > It might be possible to photograph all the records and put them all up
      > > on the internet. I am surprised the Town Hall has not had them all
      > > digitized so they can be brought to the waiting world.

    • Donna Potter
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
          This subject came up before, but this is the first time I have heard it about Westerly.

          It's possible that they are overloaded with requests at the current time. The Local History
          & Special collections at the Westerly Public library is closed now until their renovation is
          complete, so the Town must be getting annoyed with the increased gen. requests?

          Also, back in the spring they had major flooding in Westerly, so they are probably still
          cleaning up from that, with genealogy being the last thing on their minds.

          Not an excuse, just a possible reason for the current *bad attitude*

          I think lots of people on the list have researched in Westerly, so hopefully someone
          will chime in.

          In the meantime, check out the town's webpage
          http://westerly.govoffice.com/

          there is a link for land records going back to 1850 [not early enough for you,
          but might help someone else]

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
            SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH

            Large library that supplies all of the local Family History libraries.

            Bonnie
> [...]

            > > you have?
            > >
            > > I am getting resistance from the Town Clerk's office, which is reporting
            > > that only registered genealogists may search records. If RI has a
            > > public records law, this restriction is probably illegal.
            > >
            > > Other records are with the historical society and the library, I am
            > told.
            > >
            > > Is the volume of records so great one cannot read them all in a two-week
            > > period?
            > >
            > > What is the volume of records, exactly?
            > >
            > > How many persons on this list are interested in such an effort? I am
            > > looking at next April. I am thinking that a group descent on the Town
            > > Hall might break open any resistance.
            > >
            > > It might be possible to photograph all the records and put them all up
            > > on the internet. I am surprised the Town Hall has not had them all
            > > digitized so they can be brought to the waiting world.

          • armchair_genealogist
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
              I did some research very early on in my genealogy quest(5 years ago) and did not have any issues with them.I was allowed to enter the vault and poke around there unfettered.Even came across the marriage intention documents all rolled up for a couple of marriages I was researching.Most vault activity here in RI is a steady stream of realtor related people doing title searches etc.In some town halls I just sign in and get to work.After the spring floods I figured it would not be a good time to do research in Westerly and have postponed it to the fall.Was not doing land and town records research back then so hoping I can uncover something there.Also I might mention that my Pawcatuck ancestors from the mid to late 1800's show up in the Westerly census.So keep this in mind that perhaps your ancestor may have lived in another town and state!...........Mike