Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: genetic studies under way?

  • boles
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
      Joyce Boles wrote:

      I go even further. It's a good thing to have so many new immigrants
      coming in all the time. We need the new blood.

      And nobody is an "illegal alien." I met a Mexican on the train the
      other day who carries an "Illegal Alien Green Card" that he made up for
      himself. It declares that Christopher Columbus was the first illegal
      alien. He got big belly-laughs all around.

      And old Christopher did not have all his vaccinations done, either. He
      brought with him five killer diseases that wiped out millions of people
      here.

    • Dave & Sharon Ballou
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
        So true. You know, the difference between in-breeding and line breeding is
        the quality of the offspring. Sometimes the best qualities are brough
        forth, but then, sometimes only the poor qualities. But when we really look
        at it, who of us isn't related in some way or another.

      • boles
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
          Boles:

          The various translations of Leviticus use different words. I definitely
          saw it in Leviticus, and it is there, but the wording is obscure. Did
          you search King James version? It might have been there. The patron of
          that edition, King James I, given his scandalous lifestyle, might have
          wanted it buried.

          Unfortunately, I am in the middle of moving. All of my dozen and more
          Bibles are packed. Later, perhaps in a couple of weeks, I will find
          them and search them. Leviticus is a short book, and can be read all
          through quite quickly.

          Muslims still practice cousin marriage in some places. Saddam Hussein,
          may he fry in hell, was married to his first cousin.

          On 8/7/2010 4:45 PM, Bill Wright wrote:

          > Joyce,
          >
          > You wrote: Within the Book of Leviticus there is language permitting
          > and encouraging this practice,
          >
          > I am curious where you find this in Leviticus. I did a search and could
          > not find it. There was cousin marriage in Genesis, but I don't believe
          > the Bible either a prohibits or encourages the practice.
          >
          > In Genesis Isaac sent Jacob to find a wife in his uncle's house. The
          > purpose was to find one with a common belief in God. Obviously, Cain and
          > Seth had to marry their sisters, but Leviticus does prohibit marriage
          > between siblings.
          >
          > You also asked: I wonder if anyone, anywhere, is doing any genetic
          > research to look at the long-term consequences of too much consanguinity?
          >
          > I don't know about ongoing research, but this is a well-known issue in
          > genetics. Stated from a layman's viewpoint, marriage between close
          > relatives results in a reinforcement of bad genes and and can lead to
          > abnormalities.
          >
          > Yes, cousin marriage was common in the 17th and 18th centuries. I have
          > some among my RI lines.
          >
          > Some of these issues may take us too far off-topic. So you may want to
          > reply off list.
          >
          > Bill Wright

        • Donald Taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
            You are so wrong to say that no one is an illegal alien .If they didn't come here the legal way, they are here illegaly. This is not a subject for this list so let's stick to genealogy
            Don Taylor

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
              Thank you Don, I was going to do some wrist slapping but you beat me to i
              to others, please stick to Genealogy on this list, the fun list is for the other topics

              Arlan Maguire, List Dad

              You are so wrong to say that no one is an illegal alien .If they didn't come here the legal way, they are here illegaly. This is not a subject for this list so let's stick to genealogy
              Don Taylor

              I go even further. It's a good thing to have so many new immigrants
              coming in all the time. We need the new blood.

              And nobody is an +ACI-illegal alien.+ACI- I met a Mexican on the train the
              other day who carries an +ACI-Illegal Alien Green Card+ACI- that he made up for
              himself. It declares that Christopher Columbus was the first illegal
              alien. He got big belly-laughs all around.

              And old Christopher did not have all his vaccinations done, either. He
              brought with him five killer diseases that wiped out millions of people
              here.

              +AFs-Non-text portions of this message have been removed+AF0-

              +AFs-Non-text portions of this message have been removed+AF0-

              +AF8AXw-.+AF8-,+AF8-.+AF8AXwBf-
              Reply to sender +AHw- Reply to group +AHw- Reply via web post +AHw- Start a New Topic
              Messages in this topic (4)
              Recent Activity: a.. New Members 1 a.. New Photos 12
              Visit Your Group
              Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your visits to our RI+AF8-Ancestors Web site

              The 'Files+ACI- page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy charts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours

              The +ACI-Links+ACI- page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of your favorite sources

              At the +ACI-Photos+ACI- page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos uploaded by others

              The +ACI-Database+ACI- area is my favorite,
              That is where you may list your surnames of interest,
              list your brick wall
              list your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources
              MARKETPLACE
              Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog +ACY- Cat Answers Center.

              Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo+ACE- Toolbar now.

            • Bill Wright

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
                  Joyce Boles wrote:

                  Bill, here are some internet citations relating to the boundaries of
                  permissible marriage and the discussion of them in the 16th and 17thC.
                  If you read them all, then note their dates, and look at some of the
                  linked documents, you get the idea about how cousin marriage was sought
                  in America. There was enormous evolution through numerous creeds and
                  edicts, all with some mention of this subject. The dissenters affirmed
                  the Bible as the source of permissions and rules, and not the
                  established church, both English and Roman.

                  Remembering that the Protestant Reformation went on for two centuries
                  after Martin Luther, or longer, the numerous anti-Catholic groups in
                  England that sprung up dealt with the edicts from Roman and English
                  churches about marriage, along with numerous other issues. Sometimes it
                  seems this is all everybody did in all those year: thrash around about
                  religion. The Westminster Confession seems to be a definitive statement
                  about what the dissenters thought about things. The dissenters defied
                  both the establishment churches consistently, and some of them absconded
                  to America to do things their own way. The Westminster Confession took
                  years and years to discuss and write, and exists in several forms.

                  This book appears to be the 1575 Church of England edict, but I can't
                  get it open to read.

                  http://openlibrary.org/subjects/consanguinity#page=2

                  Wikipedia on 17C Baptists:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Baptist

                  1689 Confession of Faith. One of many, many edicts and confessions that
                  were written.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1689_Baptist_Confession_of_Faith

                  History of marriage; note section on 16^th and 17^th century

                  http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/ATLAS_EN/html/history_of_marriage_in_western.html

                  Placing all the creeds and confessions into perspective:

                  http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/articles/full.asp?id=43||390
                  <http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/articles/full.asp?id=43%7C%7C390>

                  Westminster Confession:
                  http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/articles/full.asp?id=43|68|757
                  <http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/articles/full.asp?id=43%7C68%7C757>

                  See Chapter 24, Number IV. States that the Bible is source of rule on
                  consanguinity, which means the Church, both English and Catholic, could
                  not change the rule: permission by omission.