Re: [RI_Ancestors] DeBOW - Help - Newspaper Look-ups - Additional info/DOD

  • fcccny
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2010
      Old Fulton Postcards is a site I stumbled upon and absolutely love it!

      If you do ctrl + F..a 'find' box opens on the left side...you can then enter a term...a name or even city and those choices are highlighted.  There is also a 'find' box you can use on the right side to find your item quickly in the newspaper.

      It is my 'go to' site.  I have found out so much about ancestors I probably would never have learned as well as amusing tidbits...like my Grandmother got the consolation prize in a Bunco game at a baby shower !  I also enjoy looking at the ads and other stories.

      I usually run a search a couple of ways...for example "Mrs. John Doe" and "Jane Doe".
      The only problem is some of the newspapers are, understandably, old and the type is hard to read.  For this reason, a search might miss an article because it has transcribed a name incorrectly.  You can also run a search with an exact phrase, fuzzy spelling, etc.

      From: fcccny <fcccny@...>
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] DeBOW - Help - Newspaper Look-ups
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 8:10 PM

      try "Old Fulton Postcards"  it is a free site that enables you to search for a specific name in thousands of newspapers printed in New York.  I have found out so much about my NY relatives this way.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2010
        Wow what a find. Thank you, Thank You, Thank You. I found 12 articals about my grandparents, one of them even mentioned my great grandparents.

        Bob Wordell
        Denver CO
        Searchin' for a past

        From: fcccny

        Date: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 8:10 PM

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2010
          I've been sifting through the THOMAS returns at Old Fulton Postcards in the
          evenings & still have a couple thousand more to go. Thank heavens one thing
          I got from raising kids, besides some agita & grey hairs, was infinite
          patience because this is going to take awhile to get through these.

          I love the site! I've not found anything on Minnie but I did get quite a
          bit from the 1940's & 50's on my Grandparents & the members of my mother's
          generation from her old hometown paper.

          A big "Thanks" again for letting us all in on the location of this hidden
          treasure.

          But, the request for an obit for Minnie is still out there - If anyone has a
          subscription to Newspaper Archives or any site that has old newspapers, can
          you take a look in Hampton Bays aka Good Grounds and nearby towns, Suffolk
          Co, Long Island - where Minnie died or Staten Island, Richmond Co, NY -
          where Minnie was born - for an obit for Minnie DeBOW THOMAS, wife of George
          Joseph THOMAS, lighthouse keeper at Shinnecock Light, Hampton Bays? It
          would be much appreciated.

          I did contact the Hampton Bays Library a few months ago regarding an obit
          for Minnie but they don't have local newspapers any farther back than 1936.
          Not far enough back for a 1931 death and possible obit :(

          Minnie DeBOW THOMAS' - DOD 8 Aug 1931. The family didn't leave
          Shinnecock Light for George's next assignment until Oct 1931 so Minnie's
          place of death was either at Shinnecock Light or in the immediate area of
          Hampton Bays.

          Hope someone can find an obit for Minnie. Thanks.

          Linda
          Still looking for those ancestors & a job!