New/ Thomas Peckham

  • fcccny
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi:

      I just found this group and am hoping someone can help me!

      My surname of interest is PECKHAM.

      Thomas Peckham was born 24 AUG 1823 in Rhode Island...perhaps Warwick.
      He married Mary Ann Otis in Oswego, NY in 1851.

      He is on the 1850 Census living in Oswegeo. I am guessing he moved there sometime prior to 1850, met Mary Ann and they married and stayed in Oswego.

      My grandfather (another Thomas Peckham) left notes as to his ancestry and had Thomas Peckham (possibly born in RI or CONN) and
      Madora Garlock (born in RI or Canada) as the parents of the 1823 Thomas Peckham.

      I have been unable to find any proof of this. I realize that since he was writing down info as he had heard it, that Madora's name may be spelled differently.

      Any help is appreciated.
      THanks!
    • armchair_genealogist
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2010
        Hi,
        I don't have anything on these Peckhams.Looking at the 1850 census is that your Thomas w/ a Benjamin and Nancy Peckham living with him and more next door.Looks like a few angles to work on there.
        ..............Mike in RI and a Peckham descendent

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "fcccny" <fcccny@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I just found this group and am hoping someone can help me!
        >
        > My surname of interest is PECKHAM.
        >
        > Thomas Peckham was born 24 AUG 1823 in Rhode Island...perhaps Warwick.
        > He married Mary Ann Otis in Oswego, NY in 1851.
        >
        > He is on the 1850 Census living in Oswegeo. I am guessing he moved there sometime prior to 1850, met Mary Ann and they married and stayed in Oswego.
        >
        > My grandfather (another Thomas Peckham) left notes as to his ancestry and had Thomas Peckham (possibly born in RI or CONN) and
        > Madora Garlock (born in RI or Canada) as the parents of the 1823 Thomas Peckham.
        >
        > I have been unable to find any proof of this. I realize that since he was writing down info as he had heard it, that Madora's name may be spelled differently.
        >
        > Any help is appreciated.
        > THanks!

      • Steven Smith & Susan Ehlert
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2010
          Check out the Skinner Americana Auction items for Sunday, August 15th which
          includes several old family history items.  Family names include Glasser, Henry
          Chapin, Abigail Colton and Rufus Chapman.
          http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/22193/page1

          Regards, Susi