Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Asa Smith

  • connie
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 5, 2010
      Thanks Bonnie, I have these two pieces of information but I have not heard
      anything about a second marriage. This is a Mormon family so who knows.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 5, 2010
        Certainly a challenge to track Asa in the census (pre 1880)could you tell us/me where in NY he was married?Usually folks did not just strike out on their own but either travelled with family or someone they knew or went to places where family was.At least in their initial movements.I'm determined to find this guy somewhere he has not yet been found!!..............Mike in 95 degree RI
        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <andsewitgoes@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Bonnie, I have these two pieces of information but I have not heard
        > anything about a second marriage. This is a Mormon family so who knows.

      • Melissa Craven Fowler
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 5, 2010
          I have been given the name of a professional genealogist in Springvale-Sanford, Maine by the local historical society. But before that, I thought I would try you all.

          I'm trying to locate a great-grandaunt who apparently lived there in about 1905, when my grandfather came here from England. No telling how long she had been there at that time. My grandfather, Alfred Craven named her on his ship's manifest as the person in the US he knew and presumably was headed for. Sounds right - that was a mill town and he was a beamer from Western Yorkshire.

          The aunt's name was Emma Farrer, b. abt 1855 in Yorkshire, maiden name was Kitching. So she may have arrived as a Kitching and married in the US or arrived as a Farrer. No luck so far with Ancestry.com's passenger lists to Boston from Liverpool, which was the route all other family immigrants took. Also no luck with the census records for Emma.

          We think she and/or a daughter lived to about 1962 in the same area. My grandmother visited with her or her daughter (?) in 1952 in Ogunquit, Maine, and we got a call about inheritance about 1962 or 63. (my sister remembers the two old ladies, grandmother and the Maine resident, no estimates of age difference compared to grandmother who was 20 years younger).

          And, BTW, Alfred Craven may have been there (S-S Maine) only 4 or fewer years because he was in North Providence at the Greystone Mill in 1909. Greystone may have been the mill he was recruited to come work at, as the owners had mills in his home Yorkshire town as well, the Benn brothers.

          Anyone out there who could shed some light on the Farrer issue????

        • connie
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 5, 2010
            I love a person with tenacity. I found some information the other night that
            makes me wonder if they were married in Illinois. I found a census that
            showed a boyce family with a daughter Margaret living in Illinois and since
            my great grandfather was born in Rock Island, Illinois that might make sense
            I would love to find out some more information on this branch of my family
            This is my mother's great grandfather on her Mom's side of the family.
            His son, William Chancellor Smith died when grandma was fourteen, so my
            mother never knew him. My Mom is still living 88 years old. She has always
            been curious about this side of her family. We know that they were Mormons.
            I wonder if that Chancellor name is not some sort of a key. Asa Smith, is
            listed in most of the lists as Asa W Smith. Asa and Margarette had several
            children. It seems most of the men died at an early age except for Asa
            senior. He lived to be 86. My grandmother's brothers names were Ernest
            Chancellor Smith, Vernon Hendricks Smith, (Hendricks would be my great
            grandmother's maiden name) and Earl Frederick Smith. My grandmother's name
            was Naomi Leah Smith. I wonder if the Chancellor is relevant?

            Another question for you or this group, do you know any free sights for
            checking International genealogy?
            I am paying $20 a month for Ancestry.com and they want another $10 for
            access to Europe. Another side of the family came from Denmark in 1893.
            Therefore, I cannot find anything there beyond my great grandparents.

            The Stanbrough side of my family is traceable back to Lynn Mass and then to
            Sag Long Island in the 1630. That is exciting.

            Thanks for any and all information . I am and have always been a history
            nut. I find this genealogy .
            I also have Smiths on the other side of my family they were from Kentucky
            and ended up in Kansas. I have them traced back to before the Revolutionary
            War.

            I would love to get in my motorhome and trace backwards on both sides of the
            family. What fun. I guess that is a priority on my bucket list.

            Thanks for listening

            Connie Gulden

            Certainly a challenge to track Asa in the census (pre 1880)could you tell
            us/me where in NY he was married?Usually folks did not just strike out on
            their own but either travelled with family or someone they knew or went to
            places where family was.At least in their initial movements.I'm determined
            to find this guy somewhere he has not yet been found!!..............Mike in
            95 degree RI
            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Connie" <andsewitgoes@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Bonnie, I have these two pieces of information but I have not heard
            > anything about a second marriage. This is a Mormon family so who knows.

          • Bonnie Weber
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6, 2010
              There are some records in NEHGS

              Emma Farrar, d 21 Feb 1965 at Waterville, ME, age 60

              Emma Farrar m Arnold Morton 05 Nov 1913, Washington, ME

              Alfred Craven b Swan Point 25 May 1964 (b abt 1694), RI

              Don't know if these records will help.

              Bonnie

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2010
                My Alfred is a totally different guy but the Emma facts are great!!! THANKS.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Connie

                  My relatives on my mom's side, came from Scandinavia, as well.
                  http:lib.byu.edu/mormonmigration/

                  They Mormon Passenger lists are pretty good.

                  My family names are Johnson/Peterson/Anderson, etc.

                  Bonnie

                  Certainly a challenge to track Asa in the census (pre 1880)could you tell
                  us/me where in NY he was married?Usually folks did not just strike out on
                  their own but either travelled with family or someone they knew or went to
                  places where family was.At least in their initial movements.I'm determined
                  to find this guy somewhere he has not yet been found!!..............Mike in
                  95 degree RI
                  --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Connie" <andsewitgoes@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Bonnie, I have these two pieces of information but I have not heard
                  > anything about a second marriage. This is a Mormon family so who knows.

                • Melissa Craven Fowler
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 22 1:45 PM
                    Last summer, I asked about a relative in Sanford Maine, named Emma Farrer, and Bonnie was very helpful!
                    NOW I am writing to say I got that name wrong. Her name was Emma Farrand.

                    Here's a quote from my in-progress family saga:
                    Emma Kitching (1855 - ??) married Stephen Farrand (1857 - ??), a warp dresser, in 1879; they lived in Great Horton, Yorkshire England in 1881, Clayton in 1891 with daughter Ruth (born 1881), and Bradford in 1901. In 1903, Emma and Ruth immigrated to Maine, travelling with brother-in-law and children, the Wandal Watkin's, and sister Matilda Kitching. Stephen Farrand had preceded them by several months. Stephen must have died between then and 1910, because in 1910, the U.S. census recorded Emma living with her brother John F. Kitching and his two sons, Harry and Norman (sans wife) in Sanford, Maine, along with boarder Lillian Hanson, who arrived in the U.S. from England in 1914, alone.

                    Based on what I have been able to find and NOT find in Federal census records, I am looking for
                    a death date for Emma Farrand (after 1910) I do have a good lead of an Emma Farrand of the right age -- assuming she returned to Yorkshire.
                    A death date for Stephen Farrand (bet 1903-1910)
                    a death date for Matilda Kitching (after 1930)

                    Additionally, any info after 1930 on the Watkin children: Mabel, Hilda, Myra, Ida, and Albert. The last three were still living with Matilda Kitching in 1930 in Sanford, but I have no info after that. With the exception that Myra may have lived into the 1960's.

                    All of these people should be in Sanford Maine, although some (Myra?) may have been in Ogunquit, in the 1950's.

                    THANKS

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Melissa Craven Fowler
                    mcf3@...
                    607-272-0406
                    607-279-3359
                  • armchair_genealogist
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 22 3:11 PM
                      Hi,
                      I have done research in Sanford/Springvale area.The Springvale Library has vital records on microfilm and you could see if they perhaps have residential guides for the area from this timespan.They also have the local paper archived there.Not sure how far forward it goes.I was able to get obits from the 1903 to 1915 timespan for my relations there.Maybe someone get an obit for Stephen?
                      My gr gr gr grandmother was the sister of Thomas Goodall who founded the mill there in Sanford.He started out making contoured horse blankets in NH and cleaned up during the Civil War.The mill in Sanford made plush fabric for train cars and later Palm Beach brand suits.No one in our family was aware of this connection.Thomas's statue still stands in the center of town which fell on hard times after the demise of the mill.
                      I am going to Maine in a couple of weeks and if I get over to Sanford I will see what I might find there on your relations.....Mike in RI