Re: Research in Warwick, RI.

  • armchair_genealogist
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2010
      GARDINER MARIA 1794c - 2 JUL 1866 EG038
      GARDINER JEREMIAH 1794c - 13 AUG 1860 EG038

      Nancy,It looks like they are buried over in East Greenwich.The RI cemetery database is online just google eg038 gardiner to find this couple at the website.You might also find Maria in the 1865 RI state census.Warwick has moved most of their land records to the upstairs area of their vault.But I find it to be a real pain to get at the "public" probate records.It would be nice if they could at least have an index.They are not too receptive to inquiries,at least from me..................Happy Hunting,RI Mike

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone go to the Warwick Town Hall to research? Jeremiah Gardiner owned property in Warwick and he died before 1870. If he and his wife Maria are buried in Warwick, they are not listed in the Warwick Cemetery book by Mr. Sterling. I would like the exact death date which is between 1860-1870 and what happened to the property. If Jeremiah had a will.

    • NancyM
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2010
        Thanks Mike. Now at least I have an exact date of death and place of burial. Maybe the Town Clerk would glance for a will.

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist" <bingo0212@...> wrote:

        > GARDINER MARIA 1794c - 2 JUL 1866 EG038
        > GARDINER JEREMIAH 1794c - 13 AUG 1860 EG038
        >
        > Nancy,It looks like they are buried over in East Greenwich.The RI cemetery database is online just google eg038 gardiner to find this couple at the website.You might also find Maria in the 1865 RI state census.Warwick has moved most of their land records to the upstairs area of their vault.But I find it to be a real pain to get at the "public" probate records.It would be nice if they could at least have an index.They are not too receptive to inquiries,at least from me..................Happy Hunting,RI Mike
        >

        > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone go to the Warwick Town Hall to research? Jeremiah Gardiner owned property in Warwick and he died before 1870. If he and his wife Maria are buried in Warwick, they are not listed in the Warwick Cemetery book by Mr. Sterling. I would like the exact death date which is between 1860-1870 and what happened to the property. If Jeremiah had a will.

      • Fred Clarke
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2010
          I'm in East Greenwich. I could check at Rown Hall in the morning also
          I'll be at EG-038 tomorrow. I'll see if there is anything else on the
          stones.

          Sent from me eyePhone.
          --AC

          On Jul 1, 2010, at 2:59 PM, NancyM <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Mike. Now at least I have an exact date of death and place of
          > burial. Maybe the Town Clerk would glance for a will.
          >
          > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist"
          > <bingo0212@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > GARDINER MARIA 1794c - 2 JUL 1866 EG038
          > > GARDINER JEREMIAH 1794c - 13 AUG 1860 EG038
          > >
          > > Nancy,It looks like they are buried over in East Greenwich.The RI
          > cemetery database is online just google eg038 gardiner to find this
          > couple at the website.You might also find Maria in the 1865 RI state
          > census.Warwick has moved most of their land records to the upstairs
          > area of their vault.But I find it to be a real pain to get at the
          > "public" probate records.It would be nice if they could at least
          > have an index.They are not too receptive to inquiries,at least from
          > me..................Happy Hunting,RI Mike
          > >

          > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone go to the Warwick Town Hall to research? Jeremiah
          > Gardiner owned property in Warwick and he died before 1870. If he
          > and his wife Maria are buried in Warwick, they are not listed in the
          > Warwick Cemetery book by Mr. Sterling. I would like the exact death
          > date which is between 1860-1870 and what happened to the property.
          > If Jeremiah had a will.

        • armchair_genealogist
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2010
            I stopped and checked land records today at Warwick,only got a look at grantor index and did not have a lot of time,but needed to check on something in my own research.I would say there was probate as there was plenty of land in play in Warwick and East Greenwich.After Jeremiah passed away there is a lot of sorting out going on land wise.With the children,Goerge Franklin Gardiner,Jeremiah Gardiner,Harriet(Gardiner)Bullock,wife of George,Edwin H Gardiner,Russel G.Gardiner and Julia M Gardiner giving their mother Mariah life lease etc.(Maria always spelled Mariah when I came across it)..........
            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone go to the Warwick Town Hall to research? Jeremiah Gardiner owned property in Warwick and he died before 1870. If he and his wife Maria are buried in Warwick, they are not listed in the Warwick Cemetery book by Mr. Sterling. I would like the exact death date which is between 1860-1870 and what happened to the property. If Jeremiah had a will.

          • connie
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2010
              This is off this subject. However, I just had to comment on how great I
              think this sight is. I have been researching for a while now and this is
              the first time I have found a truly helpful group.

              Still looking for Asa W. Smith et all

              Connie Gulden
              I am in Colorado if I can help on it this s end.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 4, 2010
                Thank you for this info. it certainly fits together with my info. Now I shall ask for a probate record from the town hall and maybe I can find out where Jeremiah got his land. I appreciate the time you took for getting this info. for me.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4, 2010
                  Thank you Fred for looking this up for me. Would they have had a burial permit? I do know that Jeremiah/Maria had several children in E.G.

                  --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Fred Clarke <bozone@...> wrote:

                  > I'm in East Greenwich. I could check at Rown Hall in the morning also
                  > I'll be at EG-038 tomorrow. I'll see if there is anything else on the
                  > stones.
                  >
                  > Sent from me eyePhone.
                  > --AC
                  >
                  > On Jul 1, 2010, at 2:59 PM, NancyM <ntmauro43@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks Mike. Now at least I have an exact date of death and place of
                  > > burial. Maybe the Town Clerk would glance for a will.
                  > >
                  > > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "armchair_genealogist"
                  > > <bingo0212@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > GARDINER MARIA 1794c - 2 JUL 1866 EG038
                  > > > GARDINER JEREMIAH 1794c - 13 AUG 1860 EG038
                  > > >
                  > > > Nancy,It looks like they are buried over in East Greenwich.The RI
                  > > cemetery database is online just google eg038 gardiner to find this
                  > > couple at the website.You might also find Maria in the 1865 RI state
                  > > census.Warwick has moved most of their land records to the upstairs
                  > > area of their vault.But I find it to be a real pain to get at the
                  > > "public" probate records.It would be nice if they could at least
                  > > have an index.They are not too receptive to inquiries,at least from
                  > > me..................Happy Hunting,RI Mike

                  > > Gardiner owned property in Warwick and he died before 1870. If he
                  > > and his wife Maria are buried in Warwick, they are not listed in the
                  > > Warwick Cemetery book by Mr. Sterling. I would like the exact death
                  > > date which is between 1860-1870 and what happened to the property.
                  > > If Jeremiah had a will.

                • Fred Clarke
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
                    Hi Nancy,
                    I found the graves and took some pictures. It is in the oldest section
                    and the stones have been laid flat. One of the things we want to do is
                    stand them back up so they don't weather so bad. Anyway, there are
                    children also there and I'll list them in a separate email when I can
                    read the pictures.

                    But tell me exactly what you are looking for. If they lived in
                    Warwick, records would be there. Perhaps there is a cemetery plot seed
                    but back that far, EG recorded them a real estate and they are not
                    part of the cemetery's records.

                    More later on.

                    Sent from me eyePhone.
                    --AC

                  • Alan Clarke
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2010
                      On Jul 04, 2010, at 10:16 AM, NancyM <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Fred for looking this up for me. Would they have had a burial permit? I do know that Jeremiah/Maria had several children in E.G.

                      Re: [RI_Ancestors] Research in Warwick, RI.
                      From:
                      Alan Clarke <bozone@...>
                      Date:
                      Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:57:36 -0700 (PDT)

                      On Jul 04, 2010, at 10:16 AM, NancyM <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Fred for looking this up for me. Would they have had a burial permit? I do know that Jeremiah/Maria had several children in E.G.

                      Hi again, Nancy,

                      The following stones were present at the site of Jeremiah and Maria Gardiner's graves:

                      STONE ONE
                      George F
                      Son of Jeremiah H and Maria D
                      Gardiner
                      April 27, 1823-June 17, 1907
                      ----
                      Sarah Atwood
                      His Wife
                      Aug. 23, 1829-Dec. 7 1910
                      ----------------------
                      STONE TWO
                      Edwin H. Gardiner
                      Died May 26, 1883
                      Aged 46 years
                      ----------------------
                      STONE THREE
                      Abbie F.
                      Wife of Edwin H. Gardiner
                      Aug 28, 1839 - no death date
                      ----------------------
                      As I said earlier, I need to know if they lived in Warwick or East Greenwich and earlier emails indicated it was Warwick. Cemetery records that far back were kept by the Town Hall in EG and recorded as real estate transactions. Later on, they realized that was a bit more work than necessary so the cemetery itself kept the records. The Board and I are in the process of gathering up all the records, there being a change in superintendentship. Once they are in one place, we might be able to check this information easier but for now, it's hard... especially if they are in Warwick.

                      So let me know what you need and have. There's no sense in me discovering things you already know. :-)
                      Fred

                    • NancyM
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                        My goal if to find out who the parents are of Jeremiah and where he was born in RI.The cemetary plot maybe a hint.

                      • NancyM
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                          According to census records their residence was in Warwick. I do not know where exactly where the property was located. It may have been in both towns. Thank you for your time.

                        • armchair_genealogist
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
                            From Alden Beaman's New RI Vital records Jeremiah N Gardner,Mariah Gardner and Thomas Potter witnessed the will of Mercy Spencer of Warwick 4OCT1842.
                            From the LDS site and Arnold's RI Vital Records Jeremiah Gardiner "of East Greenwich" married Maria Holmes of Warwick at Pawtuxet July 29,1821 as reported in the Providence American Newspaper.
                            I think Maria is pronounced Mariah.I would guess there to be a fairly large amount of paper pertaining to these two and allied families in Warwick and E.G. and beyond?I'm on the tail end of a 50 hr workweek so not much time this week for recreation.......Mike in RI

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 8, 2010
                              Thanks Mike....Good another name in this 'mix'. I have seen that and wondered if my Jeremiah was married twice...first to Mariah Holmes which he would have been 25 years which would have been possible. He married Maria when he was 30 and all the children were born after they were married. My husband married 2 Nancy's ....so it does happen. I shall explore that information. Thanks for your input.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 8, 2010
                                Hi,
                                What a long strange trip this is turning into!Got a little time to work on this and chase the paper trail.Land records are a curiosity to me and this is close by.Mariah Holmes was a Holmes by marriage to James Holmes (son of Samuel Holmes and Ruth Fairbanks?)He died about 1920 and left two children James Alonzo and Mary P Holmes and his widow,Mariah.I did not find a will for Jeremiah but there is probate with inventory etc.I find no transfer in these towns from father to son Jeremiah N(for love and affection or from any Gardiners)so we next look to see where he might have originated.Jeremiah was referred to as a house carpenter in some of the land records including the first one I find for him in EG which refers to him as being "of North Kinstown"so this is where the trail for him leads to.Just so you know the old NK records are badly damaged by fire.Pages burned around the edges.Also Maria and Mariah are one in the same person as far as I can tell.It was sometimes spelled Maria(outside the family)but was pronounced Mariah.There are many land transactions and they include ones from Samuel and Ruth Holmes to J N Gardiner in 1825 and from James Alonzo Holmes "of Bristol" to Jeremiah Gardiner in 1842(quitclaim)and to Mariah Holmes guardian to our grandchildren from Sam and Ruth in 1820.And she is referred to as Mariah in 1861 land records.Contact me offline as I snapped pictures of many of these documents and will see how many are readable.....................Mike