Richard Smith (c1782-1864)

  • ghostofdali
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24 2:14 PM
      Hi.

      I have an ancestor named Richard Smith from the Wickford area born about 1782. Later in life he lived with his grandson John Eldred (my ggg-grandfather), and in the 1870 census there is also a John Smith age 21 in the household, who is presumably Richard's grandson. In Beaman's birth records, there is a Richard Smith born 1782, "of Richard and Martha" (p. 152) but other than that I have found nothing of his lineage. I know his wife's first name was Mary, and they're buried in Elm Grove cemetery.

      So I thought it must go back to the original Richard Smith, but from what I've seen he had only two sons, Richard jr. who didn't have any children, and James, who died before his father.

      Does anyone have any info that would connect my Richard b. 1784 to James? Or know if James even had any children? Or do you all know of any other Richard Smith families in NK in the 1700's? I might just be barking up the wrong tree. The father would have been born at least in the early 1760's if not earlier.

      -Glen
    • alrose509@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25 7:06 PM
        Just to share my experience in a research challenge that happens to follow
        the same name.

        I had a Deborah WINSOR who was the wife of a Richard SMITH. It took me
        quite awhile to wade my way through the various "Richard Smith" men of the era
        to find the right one.

        My advice is to search probate and land records ... there were just too
        many Richard Smith men to draw conclusions without proof of familial heritage.

        Good luck.

        Al Rose
        ==========================

        In a message dated 25-May-2010 09:48:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        ghostofdali@... writes

[...]

      • Donna Potter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26 12:08 PM
          Hi Glen,
          I have also tried to figure out the identitity of this Richard Smith. I have a page from the Bible of Abby (Eldred) Northup that my cousin's hubby gave me - Abby was his grandmother - and it gives the line back to Richard and Mary but it does not have Mary's last name nor does it indicate Richard's parents. It's funny that you brought this up because I dug the page out the other day and thought about asking the list if anyone knew who he was. There are so many darn Smiths out there!
          As far as I know the Richard Smith of Smith's Castle did not have any sons who reproduced - there are only descendants via his daughters. I do wonder if perhaps he was connected with a family that was a Richard Smith descendant. My line from Richard Smith (SMith's Castle) goes via the Updikes to Coopers to Whitfords, then Larkins and finally Potters.
          The one from Abby Northup's Bible is not related to me so far although I have Eldreds, Northups and most of the other usual suspects.
          Donna in NK

          Message 4 of 4 , May 26 1:34 PM
            Thanks for the advice Al. I thought that since Smith's Castle Richard was so prominent that his lines would be well known. But it seems like there aren't any Smith descendants so that's probably out.

            I also made a couple mistakes in my post: the census that I referred to that had my Richard living with his grandson was in 1860, not 1870. He died in 1864. Also his birth year was 1782 but I wrote it as 1784 once by mistake (though that 1860 census -did- have his age as 76, it's probably wrong).

            I'll check out those probate and property records next.

            Thanks again,
            -Glen