Re: Carpenter Line

  • louisabishfaw
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 25 3:34 PM
      Lee, do you know when Dorcas Northrup was born? I have a Dorcas Northrup b. 30 Nov 1748 daughter of Robert and Susannah (Gardiner) Northrup but no spouse or children for her and am wondering if my Dorcas and yours is the same. Not a direct connection but prob included them due to the Gardiner name. Shows her as Sister-in-law of Grandson of 7th great-grandfather of me. We have a lot of Gardiner/Gardners intertwined in our lines.

      Louisa

      > ________________________________

    • jodythomson57
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 18, 2010
        I am especially interested in what you have posted about Abigail Sheldon and Jeremiah Carpenter . . . not so much about the Carpenters as about the Sheldons.

        Was Abigail Sheldon the daughter of John Sheldon & Sarah Sherman who m. 2 Feb 1726/7 in South Kingstown? John Sheldon was b. 10 Mar 1706/7 and was the son of John Sheldon & Herodias Watson?

        Going back one more generation on the matrilineal side . . . Sarah Sherman was the daughter of Jonathon Sherman & Mary unknown. Is that what you have and if so . . . any idea who Mary was?
      • Donna Potter
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 20, 2010
          Hi Jody,
          My home computer is acting up so I am answering this from work (so I do not have my family file in front of me), but I am pretty certain that Abigal's parents were John Sheldon and Sarah Sherman and that John was the son of John and Herodias. Sarah was the d/o Jonathan and Mary but I am still clueless as to Mary's parents.
          I have all my sources at home but I know some came from the Watson genealogy published by the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society.
          Donna
          ---- jodythomson57 <jmthomson57@...> wrote:

          I am especially interested in what you have posted about Abigail Sheldon and Jeremiah Carpenter . . . not so much about the Carpenters as about the Sheldons.

          Was Abigail Sheldon the daughter of John Sheldon & Sarah Sherman who m. 2 Feb 1726/7 in South Kingstown? John Sheldon was b. 10 Mar 1706/7 and was the son of John Sheldon & Herodias Watson?

          Going back one more generation on the matrilineal side . . . Sarah Sherman was the daughter of Jonathon Sherman & Mary unknown. Is that what you have and if so . . . any idea who Mary was?

        • Jody Thomson
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 20, 2010
            Good. That is what my research has shown also.

            I have spent quite a bit of effort on the research of the John Sheldon
            family of Kingstown (as opposed to John Sheldon of Providence who was his
            contemporary). I have traced and documented my matrilineal ancestry to
            Elizabeth Sheldon, daughter of John/2 Sheldon and wife (perhaps Susan
            Cleremont who seems more myth than real). Elizabeth Sheldon (m. before 1704
            when she was mentioned in her father's will) to Daniel Sunderlin. Elizabeth
            (Sheldon) Sunderlin/Sunderlen/Sunderland would have been the sister of John
            Sheldon who m. Herodias Watson AND the aunt of Abigail Sheldon, their
            daughter, who m. Jeremiah Carpenter.

            I have results from a Full-Genomic Sequence mtDNA test and have only two
            matches at that level. One participant does not know enough of her own
            ancestry to be useful but the other participant has documented ancestry to
            Sarah Sherman who m. John Sheldon. . . . . and then, of course, to Sarah's
            mother . . . Mary unknown who m. Jonathan Sherman.

            Our matrilineal lines must have a common ancestor somewhere beyond SARAH
            SHERMAN/John Sheldon AND ELIZABETH SHELDON/Daniel Sunderlin. . . . .

            So any clues whatsoever to the identification of Mary unknown, wife of
            Jonathan Sherman b. 7 Mar 1677 . . . would be very useful. Did Jonathan who
            d. about 1752 leave a will? Did he name his wife? Any clues at all to any
            relatives on her side? Any deeds in which there seemed to be a close
            relationship with someone who might have been Mary's family?

            Jody Thomson

            _____

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 21, 2010
              Hi Jody,
              According to the abstract for Jonathan's will he mentioned his wife "Mary Shearman" with no other info about her roots. The will should be in the Exeter Town Council and Probates. It was written in 1734 and poroved in 1752. Interstingly, his son Jonathan, who lived in SK, called for a special meeting of the Exeter TC in Dec of 1752 and said his father had died intestate...hmmm. There are then several references to TC meetings involving the probate of the will. SOn Benjamin was named sole executor but Jonathan was the eldest son. He lodged a complaint about the will and even appealed to the Colonial Governor about it but his appeal was denied. Sounds like there were some issues.
              In the first TC record where Jonathan said his father had died intestate the record gives the names of the sons-in-laws, including John Sheldon. The will itself named daughter Sarah Sheldon so that's good for us in terms of documentation of that part of the line.
              It still does not help with Mary though. I noted that the younger Jonathan married a Mary Card as well as Dorcas Sheldon - Exeter cemetery records refer to Mary Card, daughter of Jonathan Card, who was born about 1709 and married Jonathan Sherman.
              Donna