Re: [RI_Ancestors] merchants and mariners-Waterman

  • Dave Jenkins
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Fred,

      That makes more sense. Some of the Carrs were from Newport and probably Quaker. Thanks.

      Dave

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
        Fred, where have you been? I do not remember seeing a post from you in a while.
        Donna in NK

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
          ---- Fred Clarke <bozone@...> wrote:

          Dave Jenkins wrote:

          > Laurie,
          >
          > Thanks. I think I have seen a part of what was on that link. I was
          > obviously wrong about the "Gaspee" - the British owned that
          > one and were a little upset when it didn't take to fire too well.
          >
          > Moses Brown m. Resolved W./Sarah Carr's 2nd youngest daughter, Phebe
          > Waterman as his 3rd wife. I wonder - is there any
          > evidence Watermans were involved transporting African slaves?
          >
          > I'm curious - did Richard Waterman, the immigrant, become a Quaker?
          > And where was he buried? There's a Google book,
          > "George Rowland Howe, 1847-1917, a son's tribute............." pub.
          > 1920, p. 143-45, that contains contents of a letter by Moses
          > Brown written about 1829, at the end of it he says he's aged 92 yrs, 8
          > mos, 15 days. In it he says Richard Waterman buried at
          > Newport in Friends burying ground 28th of 8th mos, 1673. Moses was
          > pretty old by that point, though he did have a specific date.
          > I know this question is probably beyond your purview - thought I'd
          > throw it out there.
          >
          > Thank again. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the archive.

          Hi Dave,
          Richard Waterman, one of the original proprietors of Providence and
          Warwick, is interred at Swan Point, on the East Side of Providence,
          along with several generations following him. A new stone was laid in
          1840 by his ggg-grandson (?), also Richard Waterman. He died in October
          26, 1673, but is not buried in Newport. That might be another RW??
          Anyway, I've seen the stone at Swan Point. :-)

        • John Gaines
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
            Being new to the list I have been reading the e-mails with much interest. The Watermans reminded me of a title I found at archives.org, printed in 1906 by Charles E. Waterman it is titled "The Maine Watermans with An Account of their Ancestors in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut". You may want to check this out.
            And I noticed that some of the titles on the 71 books on DVD can be found at Archives.org. John Gaines  .

          • cdcargill@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2010
              Hi Donna,

                 Guess we just sit around until we can congtribute with something informative.  We still enjoy our group....Hope you doing well.

              Carole Potter Cargill