Questions of guardianship Exeter,RI

  • armchair_genealogist
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2010
      Hi All,
      I am a descendent of Reuben Peckham and his 2nd wife,Charlotte Wilcox.I find an entry in the 1806 Exeter Town Records for support of Mary Wilcox,daughter of Ishmael for "boarding and nursing"a female bastard child,Charlotte Wilcox for 30 weeks.This record also states that Mary is under the guardianship of a Robert Knowles.Ishmael died in 1779 and his will stipulated that a distribution of property would occur when his youngest daughter Mary came of age.This coming of age came in 1792 apparently as that is when the distribution took place.
      My questions are what would be the coming of age age 18 or 21 for a female in those times?Second why would Mary have a guardian at which time she must have been in her mid twentys?In 1810 Mary"a singlewoman" gives her property to her daughter Charlotte for love and affection etc.She later sold this same property,this time to a third party.I found no reference to Mary in the Exeter bastard files at the RIHS Library though I highly recommend them as they are a great read! Below would be a link to the Exeter record,I should say one of them as there were several.........Mike

      http://members.cox.net/shmlet/1806-CharlotteWilcox.jpg
    • NJNUNEZ@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2010
        Wish I were local and could read all that stuff, I love reading files like that. Good luck.

        Nancy-Jo Nunez
        A genealogy enthusiast
        Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

[...]

        ------------------------------------
        Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
        isits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
        here is a lot of information there and more being added daily
        The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy
        harts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours
        The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of
        our favorite sources
        At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos
        ploaded by others
        The "Database" area is my favorite,
        hat is where you may list your surnames of interest,
        ist your brick wall
        ist your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources Yahoo! Groups
        inks
        Individual Email | Traditional
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/