Re: NORTHUP- Rev.War. No.Kingstown

  • ghostofdali
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
      I don't have proof, but I have been looking into Zebulon and I do have his complete military record. First, I have these children listed:

      Samuel b. about 1780
      Patience Ann b. 1784
      Zebulon b. about 1792
      Dorcus (sic) b. 1796

      Here's what I have regarding his military record:

      His Revolutionary service was in the Militia, a total of three years as a Private. He joined the 3rd Company of North Kingstown Militia under Capt. Samuel Thomas (2nd King's County Regiment, under Lt. Col. Charles Dyer) on March 18, 1776, and that term lasted until May 19, 1777. At that time Capt. Thomas resigned and his Lieutenant John Brown took over as Captain. Zebulon continued service in that company under Capt. Brown for two more years. Almost all of that service consisted of guarding the shores of the Bay, but there was a possibility that he went out on a short tour early in his career though neither Zebulon nor Capt Thomas could recollect for certain. Zebulon said he was stationed at Quidnesset for the first month of his service, then at Wickford the rest of the time until August of 1778 when the company joined the re-taking of Rhode Island (proper) under General Sullivan. He then moved to Exeter in the Spring of 1779, and served six months in the 1st Company of Exeter Militia under Captain Jonathan Bates (still Dyer's Regiment), where they had a small skirmish with the British who attempted a landing at Boston Neck. In his claim for a pension he said he had always lived in North Kingstown except for two years that he spent in Exeter, so he must have stayed there for a while after the war was over. He collected a pension well into 1840, when he was living at the home of William Corey in NK where he presumably lived out his final days. I have his death date as October 25 1841, and he is supposed to be buried at the "Old Northup Farm" NK069 (he's the only burial listed there in the RI historical cemeteries database).

      Hope that helps honor his service,

      -Glen

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have proof of the children of Zebulon Northup b. No. Kingstown, RI 6 Dec. 1741 and served in the Rev. War. He married Mary Cole b. 4 Dec. 1748. Another patriot that needs to be recognized. Zebulon d. 26 Oct. 1841 in No. Kingstown, RI.

    • Scott Bill Hirst
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
        Hi!
         I am a descendants of the Northups. Elizabeth "Betsy, sp. ?" Northup married Jonathan Congdon, they my fourth great grandparents. George Congdon, Jonathan's father was am. Rev. soldier.

        Scott Bill Hirst
        20 Maple Court
        Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
        (401)377-4643
        Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

        I don't have proof, but I have been looking into Zebulon and I do have his complete military record. First, I have these children listed:

        Samuel b. about 1780
        Patience Ann b. 1784
        Zebulon b. about 1792
        Dorcus (sic) b. 1796

        Here's what I have regarding his military record:

        His Revolutionary service was in the Militia, a total of three years as a Private. He joined the 3rd Company of North Kingstown Militia under Capt. Samuel Thomas (2nd King's County Regiment, under Lt. Col. Charles Dyer) on March 18, 1776, and that term lasted until May 19, 1777. At that time Capt. Thomas resigned and his Lieutenant John Brown took over as Captain. Zebulon continued service in that company under Capt. Brown for two more years. Almost all of that service consisted of guarding the shores of the Bay, but there was a possibility that he went out on a short tour early in his career though neither Zebulon nor Capt Thomas could recollect for certain. Zebulon said he was stationed at Quidnesset for the first month of his service, then at Wickford the rest of the time until August of 1778 when the company joined the re-taking of Rhode Island (proper) under General Sullivan. He then moved to Exeter in the Spring of 1779, and served six months in
        the 1st Company of Exeter Militia under Captain Jonathan Bates (still Dyer's Regiment), where they had a small skirmish with the British who attempted a landing at Boston Neck. In his claim for a pension he said he had always lived in North Kingstown except for two years that he spent in Exeter, so he must have stayed there for a while after the war was over. He collected a pension well into 1840, when he was living at the home of William Corey in NK where he presumably lived out his final days. I have his death date as October 25 1841, and he is supposed to be buried at the "Old Northup Farm" NK069 (he's the only burial listed there in the RI historical cemeteries database).

        Hope that helps honor his service,

        -Glen

        --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@. ..> wrote:

        > Does anyone have proof of the children of Zebulon Northup b. No. Kingstown, RI 6 Dec. 1741 and served in the Rev. War. He married Mary Cole b. 4 Dec. 1748. Another patriot that needs to be recognized. Zebulon d. 26 Oct. 1841 in No. Kingstown, RI.

      • njnunez
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
          Glen,
          Thanks very much. I do know there were very close relationships of the Northrups, Gardners and Wamsleys (mixed blood indians). The names of Zebulon's children below would also indidate if he was the one I'm looking for that the Samuel and definately Patience were names in the Wamsley family early on. I'll keep hunting, thanks very much. Appreciate you taking the time.

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "ghostofdali" <ghostofdali@...> wrote:

          > I don't have proof, but I have been looking into Zebulon and I do have his complete military record. First, I have these children listed:
          >
          > Samuel b. about 1780
          > Patience Ann b. 1784
          > Zebulon b. about 1792
          > Dorcus (sic) b. 1796
          >
          > Here's what I have regarding his military record:
          >
          > His Revolutionary service was in the Militia, a total of three years as a Private. He joined the 3rd Company of North Kingstown Militia under Capt. Samuel Thomas (2nd King's County Regiment, under Lt. Col. Charles Dyer) on March 18, 1776, and that term lasted until May 19, 1777. At that time Capt. Thomas resigned and his Lieutenant John Brown took over as Captain. Zebulon continued service in that company under Capt. Brown for two more years. Almost all of that service consisted of guarding the shores of the Bay, but there was a possibility that he went out on a short tour early in his career though neither Zebulon nor Capt Thomas could recollect for certain. Zebulon said he was stationed at Quidnesset for the first month of his service, then at Wickford the rest of the time until August of 1778 when the company joined the re-taking of Rhode Island (proper) under General Sullivan. He then moved to Exeter in the Spring of 1779, and served six months in the 1st Company of Exeter Militia under Captain Jonathan Bates (still Dyer's Regiment), where they had a small skirmish with the British who attempted a landing at Boston Neck. In his claim for a pension he said he had always lived in North Kingstown except for two years that he spent in Exeter, so he must have stayed there for a while after the war was over. He collected a pension well into 1840, when he was living at the home of William Corey in NK where he presumably lived out his final days. I have his death date as October 25 1841, and he is supposed to be buried at the "Old Northup Farm" NK069 (he's the only burial listed there in the RI historical cemeteries database).
          >
          > Hope that helps honor his service,
          >
          > -Glen
          >
          > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone have proof of the children of Zebulon Northup b. No. Kingstown, RI 6 Dec. 1741 and served in the Rev. War. He married Mary Cole b. 4 Dec. 1748. Another patriot that needs to be recognized. Zebulon d. 26 Oct. 1841 in No. Kingstown, RI.

        • NancyM
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
            Nancy, I would not be surprised....I corresponded a long time ago with Robert Mageau in Providence concerning the Northup line. I included one of the Tourjee/Northup lines in my book. But since the book was printed in 87 I have acquired more information but no mention of Warmsley yet, but I always have you in mind. The DAR is now requiring other proof besides Beaman's of Zebulon's children, which I do not have.
            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, NJNUNEZ@... wrote:

            > Could he have possibly been a Zebulon Warmsley/Wamsley later? Just curious
            >

            > Nancy-Jo Nunez whic
            > A genealogy enthusiast
            > Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

          • ghostofdali
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
              Hey no problem, I'm glad to be able to contribute. My mother's maiden name is Northup so I'm always looking for info on the family.

              A couple, um, corrections to what I previously wrote:

              I said "Capt. Thomas resigned and his Lieutenant John Brown took over as Captain." That's "sort of" correct except John Brown (Jr.) was not the Lieutenant, he came in from another company.

              Also, after looking at the http://rihc.info website, I see that while Zebulon is the only burial listed at NK069, that's because it's the only stone with an inscription. There are 19 fieldstones in the lot as well, and an adjacent lot (NK024 Congdon Cemetery) where Patience is buried. A Dorcas Nason (wife of John, no maiden name listed and John is not listed at this location) is also buried there, dob. 1775. The website also lists Zebulon Jr, who is buried at Greenwood Cemetery CY059. I could find no record for Samuel.

              The only other bit of info I can share is the census listing from 1790 and 1800 (didn't find him in 1774 but that may have been before he was married):

              1790: Zebulon Northup household: one male over 16, one male under 16 and three females.

              1800: Zebulon Northup household: one male under 10, one male 16-25, one male 45+, one female 10-16, one female 45+

              That doesn't jive exactly with the unproven list of children I gave previously, unless you adjust the date of Dorcas's birth to 1775 and assume she was out of the house by 1800. Not much for proof though!

              -Glen

            • NJNUNEZ@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                Thanks very much Nancy, I haven't run into many Zebulon's at all, in fact there is a rootsweb Wamsley list, the only other time I've seen a Zebulon was years ago on that list and he was from Virginia. Then on the RI CD from Family Tree Maker, in one of the copies from a funeral book/list, there is the mention of Zebulon buying a coffin for his wife, this was Zebulon Wamsley. That's it. I'm really curious as to who this might be.

                Nancy-Jo Nunez
                A genealogy enthusiast
                Member of NEHGs, RIHS, CHS

                -----------------------------------
                Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
                isits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
                here is a lot of information there and more being added daily
                The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy
                harts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours
                The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of
                our favorite sources
                At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos
                ploaded by others
                The "Database" area is my favorite,
                hat is where you may list your surnames of interest,
                ist your brick wall
                ist your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources Yahoo! Groups
                inks
                Individual Email | Traditional
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Liz Goldgraber
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                  What is the RI CD from Family Tree Maker?  I have never heard of that.  What does it cover?
                  Liz

                  ------------ --------- --------- ------

                  ------------ --------- --------- -----
                  Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
                  isits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
                  here is a lot of information there and more being added daily
                  The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy
                  harts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours
                  The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of
                  our favorite sources
                  At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos
                  ploaded by others
                  The "Database" area is my favorite,
                  hat is where you may list your surnames of interest,
                  ist your brick wall
                  ist your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources Yahoo! Groups
                  inks
                  Individual Email | Traditional
                  http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                • Bonnie Weber
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                    It is practically useless.
                    A waste of money, but I have it.

                    Bonnie

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                      Hi!
                       What do suggest as the best or some good Northup genealogical works? Of course my Northup ends with Elizabeth "Betsey" Northup marries Jonathan Congdon, my 4Th great grandparents, but like genealogical buffs, I am interested in this lineage.
                      Relatively yours,
                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                        The Rhode Island Vital Records from 1500s to 1900s (CD#215) is one of the CDs that Family Tree Maker sells, there is also another one with family genealogies on it. I use it all the time to try to find folks, of course my family and direct lines aren't there, I also seem to find other families on it. It especially has a large collection it would appear of information for people who lived in the southern part of the state. I think some of the Beaman's records are on it, etc.

                        Recently I went to www.genealogylibrary.com, which used to be the Family Tree Maker site, I used to subscribe to it. I noticed at the tottom of the website's page there is a disclaimer about their databases now, that the search is through Ancestry.com or something, so maybe Ancestry.com bought this other company? NOt sure, but I won't subscribe to it if that's the case. I liked Family Tree Maker's site better than I did ancestry.com when I did subscribe. You might want to see if you can buy a copy of the CD. If you want a lookup on it, feel free to ask.

                        Have a great weekend.
                        Nancy-Jo Nunez

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                          Thanks for the info.  I belong to Ancestry.com (I can;t believe that I am indulging myself with such an expense...), so I guess that whatever was on the CD is accessible on Ancestry.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 8, 2010
                            I wish I could recommend a good Northup book, but I've yet to find any. It seems they did a pretty good job of staying off-record through the years! I have seen this listed as a source in several locations, but have not found any publication for sale anyplace nor have I attempted to contact these folks, this comes from a rootsweb gedcom:

                            Title: International Northoppe Family Information Network (INFIN)
                            Author: John B. Northup, President
                            Publication: "The Northup Family," (Text updated: 8 June 1998)
                            Note: Good
                            Repository:
                            Note: 5768 Rutland Ave., Riverside, CA 92503-1738
                            Media: Book
                            Page: p. NOR - 1
                            Text: John B. Northup
                            5768 Rutland Avenue
                            Riverside, CA 92503
                            909-688-9106

                            I have also found this on Google Books, but it's another line that I don't believe is connected to the Stephen Northup line in RI:

                            http://books.google.com/books?id=PMI6AAAAMAAJ

                            -Glen

                            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:

                            > Hi!
                            >  What do suggest as the best or some good Northup genealogical works? Of course my Northup ends with Elizabeth "Betsey" Northup marries Jonathan Congdon, my 4Th great grandparents, but like genealogical buffs, I am interested in this lineage.
                            > Relatively yours,
                            > Scott
                            >
                            > Scott Bill Hirst
                            > 20 Maple Court
                            > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                            > (401)377-4643
                            > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                          • Charlie Carpenter
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 8, 2010
                              Glenn

                              This book on the Northups is at the North Kingstown Free Library. Its a set of three or four loose leaf black binders and was updated by the writer as new info was found. Last I knew he hadn't sent any updates in some time. I spoke with him about five years ago via telephone and have received several letters from him in the past,but nothing in a few years. I was told that he had passed away. There is info in the book about our relative Stephen Northup.

                              Charlie C

                              Author: John B. Northup, President
                              Publication: "The Northup Family," (Text updated: 8 June 1998)
                              Note: Good
                              Repository:
                              Note: 5768 Rutland Ave., Riverside, CA 92503-1738
                              Media: Book
                              Page: p. NOR - 1
                              Text: John B. Northup
                              5768 Rutland Avenue
                              Riverside, CA 92503
                              909-688-9106

                              I have also found this on Google Books, but it's another line that I don't believe is connected to the Stephen Northup line in RI:

                              http://books.google.com/books?id=PMI6AAAAMAAJ

                              -Glen

                              --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:

                              > Hi!
                              > Â What do suggest as the best or some good Northup genealogical works? Of course my Northup ends with Elizabeth "Betsey" Northup marries Jonathan Congdon, my 4Th great grandparents, but like genealogical buffs, I am interested in this lineage.
                              > Relatively yours,
                              > Scott
                              >
                              > Scott Bill Hirst
                              > 20 Maple Court
                              > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                              > (401)377-4643
                              > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                            • Donna Potter
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 8, 2010
                                I had corresponded with John Northup, too, and its been a few years for me as well.
                                I checked NEHGS and they have only 3 references to Northups in the manuscript catalogue - none looked particularly helpful. Higginson has a Dixon-Northup genealogy but it is priced at $27 so it cannot be very extensive. It does clai to cover descendants of Stephen and Nicholas Northup but I am not sure where the Dixons fall in that line. If it is within the first few generations, I doubt it will cover too many Northups. We probably have more within a mile of us than that books lists!

                                Author: John B. Northup, President

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 8, 2010
                                  Ay yup, I've never seen a Dixon connection either.

                                  C-

                                  Author: John B. Northup, President
                                  Publication: "The Northup Family," (Text updated: 8 June 1998)
                                  Note: Good
                                  Repository:
                                  Note: 5768 Rutland Ave., Riverside, CA 92503-1738
                                  Media: Book
                                  Page: p. NOR - 1
                                  Text: John B. Northup
                                  5768 Rutland Avenue
                                  Riverside, CA 92503
                                  909-688-9106

                                  I have also found this on Google Books, but it's another line that I don't believe is connected to the Stephen Northup line in RI:

                                  http://books.google.com/books?id=PMI6AAAAMAAJ

                                  -Glen

                                  --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Scott Bill Hirst <scottbillhirst@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi!
                                  > Â What do suggest as the best or some good Northup genealogical works? Of course my Northup ends with Elizabeth "Betsey" Northup marries Jonathan Congdon, my 4Th great grandparents, but like genealogical buffs, I am interested in this lineage.
                                  > Relatively yours,
                                  > Scott
                                  >
                                  > Scott Bill Hirst
                                  > 20 Maple Court
                                  > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                                  > (401)377-4643
                                  > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                                • Melissa Fowler
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                    Is there a library in South Kingstown/Kingston as well with such broad
                                    not-on-line genealogical resources?? Still coming up empty with info on
                                    Abel Fowler, b. South Kingston, 1781. (Not Abel, b 1745 son of Simeon,
                                    and not Abel son of Abel, b1776 -- both South Kingston).

                                    can anyone tell me if there is a book on the Fowlers, in the same
                                    fashion as the Northrups in North K.??

                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                    Melissa Craven Fowler
                                    mcf3@...
                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                    Charlie Carpenter wrote:

                                    > Glenn
                                    >
                                    > This book on the Northups is at the North Kingstown Free Library.

                                  • K Rademacher
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                      I don't know if anyone's mentioned the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society's
                                      Genealogy library? They have a lot of materials for Kingston and South
                                      Kingstown.
                                      http://www.pettaquamscutt.org/

                                      - Kim

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                        NEHGS

                                        Windham Congregational Church Records

                                        Abel Fowler m Ruth Manning Manf* 26 Nov 1818.

                                        Could this be him?

                                        Bonnie

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                          Bonnie, THANK YOU but I don't think so. Our guy was in Monroe Co, NY by
                                          1816 with several children, after some time (maybe 6-8 years) in
                                          Herkimer Co, NY. He married Mary Eddy in Wallingford VT, supposedly, in
                                          the 1805-1808 time period, but a trip to w-ford did not turn up any info
                                          on either of them.

                                          P.S. Was this Windham NY, Ct or VT?

                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                          Melissa Craven Fowler, Visual Artist
                                          mcf3@...

                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                            Melissa

                                            I checked my Washington County files with negative results. S.K. Historical Cemetery # 187 on North Pasture Lane is that of Isaac Fowler d 4-30-1773 as the only readable stone. The cemetery also contains other unreadable stones. In S.K. Town Council records for 2-23-1776 the is an Abel Fowler listed as unable to equip himself with a good firearm or bayonet. No other enteries found.

                                            S.Kingstown Historical Cemetery Book by Sterling and Wheaton

                                            S.Kingstown Town Council Records 1771-1775 transcribed by Jean C. Stutz

                                            Charlie C

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                              Thanks Charlie:

                                              I am beginning to wonder about the bio I read which places "our" Abel's
                                              birth in SK RI in 1781. It could well be that the biographer found the
                                              same Abel you did (the "wrong one" was a soldier in 1776, and had a son
                                              named Abel born in 1776) -- he is widely documented. His GF was the
                                              Isaac whose grave you found. And the biographer manufactured the story,
                                              as so many biographers did in those days.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 9, 2010
                                                The Eddy Family of America, page 1228

                                                Mary Eddy, m. Abel Fowler of Churchville, N.Y. They had a son Anson Fowler b
                                                13 Feb 1809 at Fairfield, NY, who married Harriet Louisa Gridley Hooker.
                                                Their son, Edward Kirkland Fowler m Eunice Eddy on 30 June 1861. He was
                                                born 11 Aug 1832 at Churchville. (Hooker Gen.)

                                                Bonnie