Cornell/Briggs

  • Carol H
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2010
      There was a large Swedish community in Brockton. Most of them lived in the Campello section which is in South Brockton. Cross Street is just outside of the center of Brockton. Let me know if there is anything you need. I have NEHGS membership and that includes access to Massachusetts Vital Records up through 1915.

      Carol Sherman Houghton
    • Carolyn Holland
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2010
        Is it possible you can access the immigration records?

      • myrtle1893@att.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2010
          Thank you for the location of the archives I needed. The posts are listed on RIGENWEB archives in 2007 under Printers and Printing in Providence (Part 1). If you search on that and include the (Part 1) in parenthesis after the title you will get to the beginning of the posts.

          A big thank you and atta girl shout out to Beth Hurd for all the work it took to transcribe this information.

          Sandy from Colorado

        • Carolyn Holland
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
            Does anyone have any info on Louisa Marble? I have no info except what is in her family Bible, that Louisa, of Somerset, MA, wed William G. Cornell of Edgartown, MA , on 26 Nov. 1853, at the residence of her parents in Smerset. (Info onf he marrige certificate pasted in the front of the Family Commentary on the Bible).

            Pastor J. C. Morrill, Baptist Church in Somerset

            Bible presenterd to her by George B. Cornell (who is he???) 1854.

            Further info written in the Bible:
            William G. Cornell, born 16 Mar 1830, d. 28 Sept. 197
            Louisa E. Cornell, born 3 July 1828

            Children:
            William Herbert Cornell: b 27 June 1855, . 21 Feb 1856
            Gideon Cornell b. 20 Aug 1857  d. 27 Aug 1897
            George William Cornell  b. 17 Mar. 1859, d. 2 Ag 1862
            Irving Cornell b. 23 Aug 1863  my direct ancestor
            Elmer Cornell b. 1 Dec 1866

            Irving Cornell wed Mary J. Cubbage Rugh of Iowa in San Francisco, CA, and they returned to Brocton, MA. (the story:
            YOU MEAN THIS NEW ENGLANDER IS A WESTSYLVANIAN? or
            http://carolyncholland.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/you-mean-this-new-englander-is-a-westsylvanian/ )

            Mary Rugh was a descedent of the Rugh and Mechling families who were among the original settlers of Westmoreland County, PA. (I was born in Rhode Island, and am currently living in Westmoreland County. Some coincidence.)

            Carolyn Cornell Holland

            From: Carol H <choughton215@ yahoo.com>
            To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com
            Date: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 12:35 AM

            Hi Carolyn,

            What a small world. I loved reading about your family. My great aunt on my dad's side was Ruth Marble from the Somerset, Ma. area. She married my great uncle Walter Sherman.

            As I ready further about your ancestor that was a shoe salesman, it was close to home. I live in North Easton, Ma and my home is 1/4 mile from the Brockton, Ma. line. Brockton is also known as "The Shoe City". My maternal grandfather was named Holmberg and he was a swedish immigrant who worked in the shoe industries in Brockton as well. If there is anything in this area that you need, please feel free to ask.

            Carol Sherman Houghton

          • Carol H
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
              According to Vital Records of Mass on NEHGS, Louisa C. Marble was the daughter of Darling and Louisa Marble of Somerset. This is listed on the Marriage listing of Louisa and William Cornell.It is found in Volume 69, page 145 of Somerset Vital Records.

              Married November 22, 1853, William G. Cornell, 23, and Louisa C. Marble ,24. Both were residents of Somerset at the time of marriage. He is listed as being born in Edgartown, Ma to Gardner T. and Mary Cornell. She is the daughter of Darling and Louisa Marble. They were married by J.C. Morrill Minister of Gospel, Somerset.

              1850 census for Somerset, Ma shows the following listed on Page 853:

              Name Age
              Darling Marble 47
              Louisa Marble 45
              Charles D Marble 73
              Louisa E Marble 21
              David Marble 19
              Leander Marble 16
              Benjn Marble 14
              Ruth Marble 12
              Sarah B Marble 9
              Mary L Marble 7
              Wm H Marble 5

              They are all listed as being born in Massachusetts. I would guess that Charles D. is the father of Darling. There were quite a few Darling families in Somerset.

              Hope this helps some. Let me know if you need something else looked up.

              Carol Sherman Houghton
            • Carolyn Holland
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                Thank you. This is very helpful.It gave me the tie-in with Gardner T. Cornell.

                I have a list that states Gardner T. Cornell was s/o son of Gideon Cornell.

                Gideon Cornell b. 26 Sept. 1757 in Newport RI, d  25 Jan. in Newport, RI

                Gideon Cornell wed Rebecca (Rebakah) Childs b. 3 Oct 176(0, 2)  in Newport, RI
                and d. 2 May 1801 in Newport, RI. Rebecca was d/o Johathan Childs and Frances Childs (Frances b. 1717  d. 4 Feb 1791)

                Gideon and Rebecca m. 15/25 July 1779 in Rebobeth, MA. Gardner T. Conell was their 8th child.

                My list for the Cornell names stops a Gideon Cornell and Rebecca Childs Cornell. I believe that Gideon's father was also named Gideon. I'd like to follow the trail back to Rebecca and Thomas Cornell.

                Is there any information on Gideon Cornell and his tie-in back to Rebecca and Thomas?