Re: DNA test results for descendants of RI Greenes

  • wmewright
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
      I will try to answer all three of your responses together.

      I don't recommend ancestry for DNA testing because of the problem of viewing results as mentioned by jes. Also ancestry simply takes your money, keeps part of it and farms the tests out to another company.

      I have used Family Tree DNA <http://www.familytreedna.com/> which is the largest test company with the largest database. Most of FTDNA's DNA Surname Projects allow open access to test results.

      The one man surnamed Greene who had tests run twice did so because he first went to ancestry. Ancestry had the test run by Sorenson (smgf.org). smgf.org will do the test for free. After he found that he could not get exposure on the Green/e DNA Surname Project, he had his test re-run by FTDNA and also had more markers tested.

      My Greene cousin had to have 67 markers tested (only FTDNA tests this many) in order to prove the suspected match with two other men.

      Y-chromosome DNA testing only works on men. The yDNA is passed from father to son unchanged. If the yDNA for two men with the same surname match, then they share a recent common ancestor probably within the last 500-600 years.

      If you don't want to spend the money, use smgf.org. I wanted the broadest test and widest exposure, so I have been using FTDNA.

      I have seen DNA testing resolve genealogical conflicts on my Wright, Perry, and now my Greene lines. As more tests are run, I expect it will resolve conflicts with some of my other ancestral surnames.

      Bill Wright

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, amhoney@... wrote:

      > How does one go about getting this DNA testing?

    • Charlie Carpenter
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
        I used Family Tree for my DNA testing and was very pleased with the results and it is easily accessed and searchable.

        Charlie C

      • amhoney@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
          Thanks, Bill and Charlie, I use Family Tree Maker and am going to check this out. I am a direct descendant of Samuell Gorton and many of his "groupies".

        • amhoney@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
            Thanks Gloria

              I used FamilyTree DNA back in 2001 when they were doing the DNA print (percentages) and was very pleased with my results. Unfortunately, to date I have only had 5 matches come through the database, but overall I'm especially happy with it and the actual customer service help live over the phone.