A new hello

  • CGKPT
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 27, 2009
      Hello to all from a new member but hardly new to genealogy.

      Some of the names I am searching: Knight [to Richard Knight], Vaughn/Vaughan [to John & Gillian Vaughan], Clark/Clarke [to John Clarke & Catherine Cooke], Musk, Potter [to Robert & Isabel Potter], Williams [including Roger], Barden, Palazzo, Recchia, Colvin [to Benonie Colvin & Elizabeth Potter], Greene, Stone.

      I have also added a link to my [genealogy] website at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~elishadlewis/CGKP-o/

      Looking forward to finding some new cousins and sharing RI history.

      Cindy Knight-Palazzo
      Griswold, CT
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
        Welcome to the bunch, Cindy.

        I know you will find some very helpful folks here!!!

        To find out who is researching whom, go to our home page and click on database. Then, have fun!!

        Jan, aka "Maw"

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
          Hi Cindy and fellow RI researchers,

          I've been researching my Gr Gr Grandfather Benjamin Knight Bennett for many years without a lot of luck. I always thought the Knight middle name had to be a family name but still haven't found the link to the Knight family so have taken up "collecting" Bennetts in Mass and RI border towns in the hopes that I can link old Ben to another family group to get to one older generation.

          I recently found two death records that seem to indicate Benjamin Knight Bennett had two sibings. His own death record lists his parents as Benjamin K Bennett and Elsie Robinson.

          The other two death records also list these parents. One is for Andrew J. Bennett 1824-1854 wife Ann and the other for Polly Barton Bennett wife of Willard Ira Fisk b 1824 Scituate RI d. 1854 Bellingham, MA. If any of these new ancestors of mine ring a bell with you please contact me.
          Sandy

        • cdcargill@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
            Welcome Cindy,

            I can see by your name list that you are related to many of us here.  So a BIG WELCOME to you cousin!!!

            Carole Potter Cargill

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
              Hey Cindy welcome to the forum, pretty good info
              Bill Knight
            • Bill Keough
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
                Hello Gang , Happy holidays

                Just A heads up for anyone who does not know the Pawtucket times From
                1898-1921

                Can be searched via newsbank , form the Pawtucket library website with a
                library card .

                I just Stumbled upon this last week and been searching ever since ,found
                lots of great Articles .

                Bill Keough

              • Scott Bill Hirst
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
                  Hi!
                   Since I have a number of Potter lines, Carole Potter Cargill has to be a distant cousin many times over. In fact Thomas Potter I am a descendant of both his wives Mary Babcock and Judith Rogers. I am a Babcock a number of times also as well as Perry,Hazard, and Kenyon.
                   I see our new member on this chat is from Griswold, Connecticut. My ancestors Elisha Steele Bill and his first wife Olivet Geer and a number of Herrick ancestors are in Leonard Cemetery, Barthel Road, in Griswold.
                  Relatively yours,
                  Scott

                  Scott Bill Hirst
                  20 Maple Court
                  Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                  (401)377-4643
                  Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
                    Hi!
                     It is Satterlee not Steele and Bethel not Barthel Road!
                    Regards,

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
                      Scott,

                      I think we ALL have soooo many lines in common. I have all but Perry you just listed...

                      Maw

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 28, 2009
                        Hi Bill,
                        Thanks for the heads up.Was hoping my RI Library card would work but no such luck.The West Warwick Library is indexing the PV Times starting with 1892.This paper covered much of central/western RI.....Mike

                        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Bill Keough <keogenri@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Gang , Happy holidays
                        >
                        > Just A heads up for anyone who does not know the Pawtucket times From
                        > 1898-1921
                        >
                        > Can be searched via newsbank , form the Pawtucket library website with a
                        > library card .
                        >

                        > I just Stumbled upon this last week and been searching ever since ,found
                        > lots of great Articles .
                        >

                        > Bill Keough

                      • tbaum503
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 29, 2009
                          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Bill Keough <keogenri@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Gang , Happy holidays
                          >
                          > Just A heads up for anyone who does not know the Pawtucket times From
                          > 1898-1921
                          >
                          > Can be searched via newsbank , form the Pawtucket library website with a
                          > library card .
                          >

                          > I just Stumbled upon this last week and been searching ever since ,found
                          > lots of great Articles .
                          >

                          > Bill Keough

                          Dear Bill,
                          Can I get a library card and thus research this newspaper even if I live in North Carolina? thanks for your help.
                          Dan Teitelbaum
                        • Scott Bill Hirst
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 29, 2009
                            Hi!
                             West Warwick is Rhode Island's newest municipality. Created from Warwick in 1913,. It has sections or villages like Artic,Clyde,etc.,. Narragansett became a municipality in 1901 taken from South Kingstown. These two municipalities only ones formed in Rhode Island in 20TH Century. There is a Pawtuxet Valley Historical Society BTW.
                            Relatively yours,
                            Scott

                            Scott Bill Hirst
                            20 Maple Court
                            Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                            (401)377-4643
                            Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                            Thanks for the heads up.Was hoping my RI Library card would work but no such luck.The West Warwick Library is indexing the PV Times starting with 1892.This paper covered much of central/western RI.....Mike

                            --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, Bill Keough <keogenri@.. .> wrote:

                            > Hello Gang , Happy holidays
                            >
                            > Just A heads up for anyone who does not know the Pawtucket times From
                            > 1898-1921
                            >
                            > Can be searched via newsbank , form the Pawtucket library website with a
                            > library card .
                            >

                            > I just Stumbled upon this last week and been searching ever since ,found
                            > lots of great Articles .
                            >

                            > Bill Keough

                          • Scott Bill Hirst
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 29, 2009
                              Hi!
                               There is a difference between Pawtucket a municipality and city and Pawtuxet which can be the area of West Warwick and surrounding areas. The Kent County Times was previously The Pawtuxet Valley Times. The Pawtucket Times is yet a different publication. However all printed by the same newspaper group, I think for certain but that may have recently changed.
                              Relatively yours,
                              Scott

                              P.S. The Rhode Island Historical Society Library in Providence has a number of newspapers on microfilm.

                              Scott Bill Hirst
                              20 Maple Court
                              Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                              (401)377-4643
                              Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

                              > Just A heads up for anyone who does not know the Pawtucket times From
                              > 1898-1921
                              >
                              > Can be searched via newsbank , form the Pawtucket library website with a
                              > library card .
                              >

                              > I just Stumbled upon this last week and been searching ever since ,found
                              > lots of great Articles .
                              >

                              > Bill Keough

                              Dear Bill,
                              Can I get a library card and thus research this newspaper even if I live in North Carolina? thanks for your help.
                              Dan Teitelbaum

                            • Robert L. Cole
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                I guess I need to direct this E-Mail to Ma?

                                I am a decendent of Oliver Hazard Perry Cole, b.Nov. 21 1878. Grand son of James Cole b.1755. Rehodoth. Also, Mercy Perry b.3 Dec.1701 Hingham. To Thomas Perry and Ruth Ripley. I also remember a kenyyon married to a Ruth Rounds I think in the mid 30ies. and a Arther Babcock Married to a Lula ( Lola)Mae Estes.

                                Bob - Troy, NY

                                To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
                                From: janrobison2@...
                                Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:32:23 -0500

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                  Sandy,

                                  I am intrested in Bennetts (Soloman Bennett Son of Franses Bennett from RI to
                                  Pownal VT. Soloman Married to a Polly Man had a doughter Jane bennett.

                                  Bob - Troy, NY

                                  To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: myrtle1893@...
                                  Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:30:24 +0000
                                  Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Re: A new hello from a fellow KNIGHT BENNETT FISK researcher

                                • myrtle1893@att.net
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                    Hello Bob, I unfortunately do not have your Franses and Solomon Bennett in my records. My dad always called us "Swamp Yankees" from Vermont but I'm pretty sure it was only because I was born there as he had found some work after WWII but soon returned to Mass and lived out his life there.
                                    I have one Francis aka Frank Bennett b. 1856 Blackstone Ma to Benjamin Knight Bennett He d. 1930 in Franklin, MA. Have no Solomon in my data.
                                    --
                                    Kind regards,
                                    Sandy

                                  • Robert L. Cole
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                      Sandy,

                                      Thank you very much for your rapid reply. because of my limitations to search for information, I have to rely on the internet.

                                      Bob Cole- Troy, NY

                                      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                        Bob,

                                        And limitations are one reason we are part of this "family." We all help one another!! It's more like a family than "just a list." You won't find "questionable" answers, unless they are just clues here!

                                        So, post away!

                                        Happy New Year!!!
                                        Jan aka Maw

                                        To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: myrtle1893@...
                                        Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:42:17 +0000
                                        Subject: RE: [RI_Ancestors] Re: A new hello from a fellow KNIGHT BENNETT FISK
                                        researcher

                                        Hello Bob, I unfortunately do not have your Franses and Solomon Bennett in my
                                        records. My dad always called us "Swamp Yankees" from Vermont but I'm pretty
                                        sure it was only because I was born there as he had found some work after WWII
                                        but soon returned to Mass and lived out his life there.
                                        I have one Francis aka Frank Bennett b. 1856 Blackstone Ma to Benjamin Knight
                                        Bennett He d. 1930 in Franklin, MA. Have no Solomon in my data.
                                        --
                                        Kind regards,
                                        Sandy

                                        Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your
                                        visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site

                                        The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy
                                        charts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours

                                        The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of
                                        your favorite sources

                                        At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos
                                        uploaded by others

                                        The "Database" area is my favorite,
                                        That is where you may list your surnames of interest,
                                        list your brick wall
                                        list your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources Yahoo! Groups
                                        Links

                                      • Arlene Haddock
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                          Jan this is a lovely, friendly reply.  It warms  my heart.  Arlene

                                          ________________________________

                                          To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com
                                          From: myrtle1893@att. net
                                          Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:42:17 +0000
                                          researcher

                                          ------------ --------- --------- ------

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 31, 2009
                                            Well, Arlene,

                                            Do I speak with fork-ed tongue??? Everyone ONE of us is related, one way or another, right?

                                            Personally, I don't really CARE how far "removed" I am from anyone here. We ARE family!!

                                            And, this list is the BEST!!! I belong to many many lists, but this one..... We were "special" even when we were the "blue list" on Rootsweb.

                                            Love to all!
                                            Jan

                                            To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 1, 2010
                                              Reverend Francis Bennett of Pownal,son of Josiah Bennett and Susannah Bates.I am a descendent of Josiah through Francis brother Ichabod.Alden Beaman wrote a genealogy on Josiah in his RI Vital records series and there is also a write up on Josiah and his descendents in the RI Roots which is put out by the RI Genealogy Society.............cousin Mike

                                              Ichabod Bennett b.1765 m.Nancy Peterson
                                              George Bennett b.1791 m.Martha Wilcox
                                              Hiram Bennett b.1831 m.Mary Wilcox
                                              Herbert Bennett b.1857 m.Julia Brown
                                              Viola Bennett b.1883 m.Ralph Chase
                                            • Robert L. Cole
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 2, 2010
                                                Ma or Jan,

                                                I have found and received all the kindness and understanding that leaves me feeling secure in this family environment.

                                                I thank every one emensely.

                                                Bob Cole- Troy, NY

                                                To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                                                To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                                                  Cousin Mike,

                                                  Can you fill me in on the wife (Betsey Gardner) of the Rev. Francis Bennett

                                                  Cousin Bob - Troy, NY

                                                  To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 1, 2010
                                                    I wanted to send you all a note on my latest findings on the Bennett-Knight line I've been researching.

                                                    Have documented that the Benjamin Knight Bennett (3) who married Elsie/Alcey Robinson is a son of Benjamin K Bennett (2), whose parents are Benjamin Bennett (1) and Elizabeth Knight.
                                                    Benjamin(1) was born in Sudbury, MA probably son of Josiah Bennett of Sudbury, and died in Nov 1823 in Waterford, VT at his son's home there. His wife Elizabeth Knight was born 1756 in Lancaster, Ma and died 1845 in Royalston, MA. This couples birth and death information is contained in the Rev. War pension application fr Elizabeth, #14288. A copy can be found on Heritage Quest or on Ancestry.com.
                                                    Hope this helps one of you, I do have more information on his siblings if you needed it but all can be found in that pension file.
                                                    Sandy