Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Arctic, West Warwick

  • Scott Bill Hirst
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2009
      Hi!
       West Warwick is Rhode Island's youngest municipality. It was formed out of Warwick and incorporated in 1913,. A lot of villages changed names. I believe a number of people of French-Canadian ancestry live here.
       I hope all of you remember three things:
      1. West Warwick was part of Warwick until 1913.
      2. Artic is NOT a municipality but part of the Town of West Warwick. There is a Pawtuxet Valley Historical Society which likely could help you with any queries.
      3.  For Vital Statistics it is best to use the Rhode Island State Archives when possible as it will be less expensive than the town clerk's office. However since marriage and birth is closed for a hundred years and death fifty years if you have the criteria to get them, than in most cases you would have to deal with the town clerk's office sine West Warwick was formed.
       Sharing with some contacts under "Bcc:",.
      Relatively yours,
      Scott

      Scott Bill Hirst
      20 Maple Court
      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
      (401)377-4643
      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 20, 2009
        I think it's pronounced "Ottik" by the indigenous population. :-)

        On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Scott Bill Hirst
        <scottbillhirst@...>wrote:

        > Hi!
        > West Warwick is Rhode Island's youngest municipality. It was formed out of
        > Warwick and incorporated in 1913,. A lot of villages changed names. I
        > believe a number of people of French-Canadian ancestry live here.
        > I hope all of you remember three things:
        > 1. West Warwick was part of Warwick until 1913.
        > 2. Artic is NOT a municipality but part of the Town of West Warwick. There
        > is a Pawtuxet Valley Historical Society which likely could help you with any
        > queries.
        > 3. For Vital Statistics it is best to use the Rhode Island State Archives
        > when possible as it will be less expensive than the town clerk's office.
        > However since marriage and birth is closed for a hundred years and death
        > fifty years if you have the criteria to get them, than in most cases you
        > would have to deal with the town clerk's office sine West Warwick was
        > formed.
        > Sharing with some contacts under "Bcc:",.
        > Relatively yours,
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > Scott Bill Hirst
        > 20 Maple Court
        > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
        > (401)377-4643
        > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.
        >
        > --- On Fri, 11/20/09, behopkins1 <behopkins1@...<behopkins1%40earthlink.net>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: behopkins1 <behopkins1@... <behopkins1%40earthlink.net>>
        > Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Arctic, West Warwick
        >
        > To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 1:09 PM
        >

        > Thanks all of you who know exactly what I was looking for! I just needed to
        > look in the right place! You're the best!
        >
        > --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "behopkins1" <behopkins1@ ...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > My cousin in Seattle just asked me what "Arctic" was named "Arctic" and I
        > am clueless. Wikipedia states it used to be called "Jericho". Why the
        > switch? Someone must know the answer to this!
        > >
        > > AND....
        > >
        > > I accept it as "Arctic", but why is it called "Artic"?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Brenda Hopkins
        > > Clackamas, OR

      • bingo0212
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 20, 2009
          Artic was at one time a major shopping center for this part of Kent County.On a Friday night there would be so many shoppers about that the sidewalks were quite congested or so I have been told.Artic really took off in the early 1900's and it is quite sad today to see it as it is and to have watched it slowly deteriorate over the years.I lived for several in L.A.(lower Artic).Something else I might mention is Artic had many bars and all that goes with that.
          As far as villages I have found all my immigrant ancestors ship's records at Ancestry and they are all coming to Riverpoint or Natick which are other villages in W.W..They never say Warwick as the town was then known.................Mike in Centerville

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "behopkins1" <behopkins1@...> wrote:

          > My cousin in Seattle just asked me what "Arctic" was named "Arctic" and I am clueless. Wikipedia states it used to be called "Jericho". Why the switch? Someone must know the answer to this!
          >
          > AND....
          >
          > I accept it as "Arctic", but why is it called "Artic"?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Brenda Hopkins
          > Clackamas, OR

        • Arlene Haddock
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2009
            It was a rituial every Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon my aunts would go to Arctic and take me with them.  I was always given some money to spend.  It was a great treat.  Also there was a restaurant there and for what is a pittance now we could get a fish and chips dinner.  That was always an expected experience.  I enjoyed buying things for my sister and brother.  Just little things like favors for the holidays and I would give them to my mother to save for them until the holiday.  East Greenwich was another shopping center but was not as popular as Arctic.  Both places were about three miles from my home in Apponaug.  We could get there by bus and my dad knew the bus driver and he had been instructed to watch out for us.  I did not know this until I was in my teens.  We were always let off in front of our house.  The service was great.  Providence was about 10 or 15 miles away and we went there maybe once or twice a year.  That
            was a major event.  Almost always my mother would buy Chinese and bring it home for supper.  We waited for that.

            Artic was at one time a major shopping center for this part of Kent County.On a Friday night there would be so many shoppers about that the sidewalks were quite congested or so I have been told.Artic really took off in the early 1900's and it is quite sad today to see it as it is and to have watched it slowly deteriorate over the years.I lived for several in L.A.(lower Artic).Something else I might mention is Artic had many bars and all that goes with that.
            As far as villages I have found all my immigrant ancestors ship's records at Ancestry and they are all coming to Riverpoint or Natick which are other villages in W.W..They never say Warwick as the town was then known....... ......... .Mike in Centerville

            --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "behopkins1" <behopkins1@ ...> wrote:

            > My cousin in Seattle just asked me what "Arctic" was named "Arctic" and I am clueless. Wikipedia states it used to be called "Jericho". Why the switch? Someone must know the answer to this!
            >
            > AND....
            >
            > I accept it as "Arctic", but why is it called "Artic"?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Brenda Hopkins
            > Clackamas, OR

          • Liz Goldgraber
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 20, 2009
              I think it's more like  "oddick". :-)

              Liz

              <scottbillhirst@...>wrote:

              > Hi!
              >  West Warwick is Rhode Island's youngest municipality. It was formed out of
              > Warwick and incorporated in 1913,. A lot of villages changed names. I
              > believe a number of people of French-Canadian ancestry live here.
              >  I hope all of you remember three things:
              > 1. West Warwick was part of Warwick until 1913.
              > 2. Artic is NOT a municipality but part of the Town of West Warwick. There
              > is a Pawtuxet Valley Historical Society which likely could help you with any
              > queries.
              > 3.  For Vital Statistics it is best to use the Rhode Island State Archives
              > when possible as it will be less expensive than the town clerk's office.
              > However since marriage and birth is closed for a hundred years and death
              > fifty years if you have the criteria to get them, than in most cases you
              > would have to deal with the town clerk's office sine West Warwick was
              > formed.
              >  Sharing with some contacts under "Bcc:",.
              > Relatively yours,
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > Scott Bill Hirst
              > 20 Maple Court
              > Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
              > (401)377-4643
              > Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.
              >
              > --- On Fri, 11/20/09, behopkins1 <behopkins1@...<behopkins1%40earthlink.net>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: behopkins1 <behopkins1@... <behopkins1%40earthlink.net>>
              > Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Arctic, West Warwick
              >
              > To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 1:09 PM
              >

              > Thanks all of you who know exactly what I was looking for! I just needed to
              > look in the right place! You're the best!
              >
              > --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "behopkins1" <behopkins1@ ...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > My cousin in Seattle just asked me what "Arctic" was named "Arctic" and I
              > am clueless. Wikipedia states it used to be called "Jericho". Why the
              > switch? Someone must know the answer to this!
              > >
              > > AND....
              > >
              > > I accept it as "Arctic", but why is it called "Artic"?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Brenda Hopkins
              > > Clackamas, OR

              Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site

              The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as genealogy charts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours

              The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add any of your favorite sources

              At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos uploaded by others

              The "Database" area is my favorite,
              That is where you may list your surnames of interest,
              list your brick wall
              list your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources  Yahoo! Groups Links

            • K Rademacher
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                I think you're right, Liz!

                I interviewed a cobbler last year (for a features article) whose early
                memories of cobblers centered around Arctic in the late 1930s. They were
                Italian and living in Cranston, but his mother swore that the
                French-Canadian cobblers, who were all in Arctic, did the best work. She
                would drag the kids on day-long expeditions to get the family's shoes
                repaired.

                - Kim

                On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Liz Goldgraber <lizgoldgraber@...>wrote:

> [...]
                > > > Brenda Hopkins
                > > > Clackamas, OR

                > ------------------------------------
                >

                > Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on
                > your visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site
                > There is a lot of information there and more being added daily
                >
                > The 'Files" page has informational files uploaded by members, such as
                > genealogy charts, gedcoms, histories, feel free to upload yours
                >
                > The "Links" page has links to all types of genealogy sources, you may add
                > any of your favorite sources
                >
                > At the "Photos" page you can upload your favorite photos and view photos
                > uploaded by others
                >
                > The "Database" area is my favorite,
                > That is where you may list your surnames of interest,
                > list your brick wall
                > list your offer to do lookups and include your genealogy sources Yahoo!

              • Gloria Silverman
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                  The cobbler was Emile Cayouette.