50th Wedding Anniversary

  • bingo0212
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009
      I just found my gr gr grand parents,Edgar Chase and
      Almedia(Burdick) 50th Wedding Anniversary story in the Westerly Sun
      August 23,1925 and thought I would mention it.For anyone getting started
      out there who has ancestors lucky enough to reach that mark there can
      often be a write up in the local paper for it.There was even a photo of
      them,right next to a story about Thomas Edison visiting Watch Hill!This
      can also provide some family information for you and tell a bit about
      their lives.My wife's ancestors Hiram Lindall and Hannah(Jordan) were
      written up in for their 50th in 1896 P.V.Gleaner .......
    • Linda Peloquin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009
        Great suggestion !  And one I think many of us overlook sometimes.

        My budget doesn't allow for a subscription to newspaperarchive.com but I do have Ancestry with their historic newspapers and have found access other historic newspapers via Googling around.

        Lots of other family information may be unearthed beyond a major milestone such as a 50th anniversary or a wedding announcement - these seem to be more of a 20th century thing where average folks are concerned.

        I've found the cause of death in one article .... an ancestor who was a fireman on the Erie RR was blown from the tender of a moving train during a nasty windstorm.

        Marriages with pix for most of my mother's siblings circa 1940's.

        In a branch of my husband's family, the near death poisoning of one twin brother at an aunt's home in Burlington, VT which now has me going nutty trying to find out which twin it was & the name of the aunt & which side of the family she was on.

        And surprisingly, lots of social announcements that have led to wedding, birth & death dates as well as formely unknown spouse names, years for school attendance, & so much more.  In the small town where some of my research centers apparently not much went on so things such as birthday parties/teas, bridal & baby showers with guest lists; announcements of who had just returned from or was going on a trip, where they were going or had gone, who they travelled with and, if a visit to friend or family, who that person was & their relationship; church socials & functions, volunteer fire department doings, elementary school events & graduations, Girl & Boy scouting, 4H and FFA events and lots of other things that might no longer make a newspaper now were reported on.

        Old newspapers can definatly be a treasure trove of information on the ancestors.

        Linda