Re: [RI_Ancestors] TEC 4 US ARMY

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_the_TEC_4_US_Army_do_in_World_War_II

      This link gives a little more information on the TEC 4 level

      From: patriciajhansen@...
      Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:30:24
      To: <RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com>

      Since he is now dead, direct family members, spouses, children, and so on,
      can get a copy of his military record by going to
      _http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/_
      (http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/) . Once there, they fill out the online request form filling in as
      much information about him as possible. The most important information to
      include is his date of birth and location, and social security number or
      service number.

      The TEC 4 refers how high a level he reached rather than the particular job
      he was assigned. During war time, soldiers generally actually preformed
      several jobs at a time.

      Hope this helps,
      Patricia

      In a message dated 10/31/2009 10:20:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      eptownie1988@... writes:

      I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to find out what type of job an
      individual performed while in the military. My godfather was enlisted
      during World War II and on his tombstone it states TEC 4 US Army. I asked my
      godmother and she was not able to remember as she is in her 90's. Any
      suggestions would be great. Thank you.

    • honnig@cox.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        Be prepared to be persistent though - many WW II Army records were lost in a big fire at the St. Louis facility. Luckily my father had a photo album which he briefly annotated, so I was able to prove that he served. I received a certificate of honorable service, but not much else. So I contacted them again & asked what they based that on (besides my photos) since they also listed a service #. I was finally sent 3 forms they had left from other places than St. Louis. I also went web-searching for his unit. With those forms, the photos, unit histories & WW II histories concerning specific places I was able to construct his story from 1942-1946. It takes some digging, but the knowledge is really worth the trouble. Good luck.

        ---- eptownie1988@... wrote:
        > Thank you I will certainly try that
        >

        > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      • Gloria Silverman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
          More here too!
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_enlisted_rank_insignia_of_World_War_II

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
            Was he from RI? My uncle, age 86, was a Tech 5 in the Army during WWII. He and several others were shipped out right out of high school in their senior year, although they were allowed to graduate. He told me that he built bridges and planted bombs and whatever else was necessary. He still has a long list of places where he served (Germany, France, etc.) and a picture of one of the bridges that he built. He said one day headquarters called and said they needed a typist and he could type so suddenly he had an office job until the war ended.
            The following website is great because it tells what each grade is and shows the insignia as well!
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_enlisted_rank_insignia_of_World_War_II
            I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to find out what type of job an individual performed while in the military. My godfather was enlisted during World War II and on his tombstone it states TEC 4 US Army. I asked my godmother and she was not able to remember as she is in her 90's. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

          • EPTOWNIE1988
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
              My godfather was from Rumford, RI also known as Philipsdale. His father was a builder of homes and actually built the home they lived in for many years.