Lawton Babcock

  • bingo0212
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hi
      Have any of my fellow researchers got anything on Lawton Babcock as far as wife,siblings,parents or children??I know he lived in the Lyme area of CT and died abt 1868 age 104!!I find him living in the Russell Babcock household in 1860 and two of Russell's children are persons of interest in my quest to break through my Fanny Babcock brick wall......Mike
    • Charlie Carpenter
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
        Mike

        Found in the Hale Collection of Ct. Cemeteries the following;

        Colt Cemetery,New London, Ct.

        Lawton Babcock b c 1764 d 8-14-1868
        Wife--Nancy --?-- c 1774 d 6-26-1855
        Dau. Abby c1814 d 8- - 1816
        Son Orin F. c 1814 d 4- - 1844
        Son James M. c 1820 d 10-30-1881

        I also have a pix of the burial plot obtained via WWW. If interested contact me at nktown17@...

        Charlie C
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
          Mike

          Give the details you have on Fanny Babcock, and I will see what I can find.

          As far as Lawton goes, his mother's last name before marriage, probably.

          I have Russell Babcock b in South Kingstown, R.I. 14 March 1830.

          Bonnie
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
            Hi Mike

            I found they're graves in Westerly, RI., River Bend Cemetary.
            Emery E Chase 1822-1887
            Fannie B Chase 1823-1892

            NEHGS Rhode Island Historical Cemetaries Database Index

            There are more references to Stephen and Nathaniel, but I don't know if they fit your profile.

            My connection is Oliver Babcock, father of Lois Babcock who married my gggggr Benjamin Baker. She died in childbirth, so I am descended from his 2nd wife, Hannah Tucker. Oliver Babcock was a justice of the peace, and moved to NY with Ben Baker. Ben's 3rd wife was Mary Babcock, sister to Lois, daughter of Oliver.

            My research specialty is RI and NH, before they all moved to NY and then west. The prominence of the Babcock family in my heritage, prompted me to search their background, even though not related. Been doing this too long.

            Bonnie
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
              Thank you for the response.A lot of undocumented Babcocks out there.I did not think anyone would have anything on Fanny or Nathaniel but I wondered if Lawton Babcock drifted up from Westerly/Stonington perhaps.I have been to the gravesite,their daughter Amy Burgess Chase is buried with them so that kind of iced it that Emery was the son of Amy Burgess and Edward Chase................Mike