Re: [RI_Ancestors] Coming to Rhode Island

  • Dave & Sharon Ballou
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2009
      Ah yes, that's my background also. This was before milking parlors.
      In our barn, each cow had her stanchion. How in the world they knew
      where to stand is a testimony to the intelligence of those gentle
      giants. Mostly, I think, they know the cows that they stood beside,
      so if anything got out of order, chaos would prevail.

      And then, if the power would go off (which it did many days in a row
      in northern Iowa) milking was done by hand. Holsteins are heavy
      milkers so each would give at least 5 gallons each milking. As kids,
      we developed hands and forearms of great strength.

      We have a cow/calf beef operation here in southern Missouri now but
      there are days that I think about choretime work that had to be done
      twice a day, no matter how late one stayed in the field.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Dave.