Re: [RI_Ancestors] Time Sensitive-July 1, 2009;Hopkinton Planning Board Meeting-Ref: Hopkinton, R.I., Historical Cemetery#80

  • Liz Goldgraber
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
      Happy Birthday and Good Luck at the Planning Board!

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
        It is quite obvious that a more dignified resolution should be approved. If this allegations are confirmed, and that would take time and dedication, everyone would rest more comfortably. The Narragansett-Cooke-Gaspee Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, owns and maintains Rhode Island Historic Cemetery # 25, Exeter, on the corner of William Reynolds and Purgatory Rd.. Rhode Island historian James Arnold in March 1880, noted, "there is a large grave in the northeast corner of this lot containing the remains of the town poor who were burned in the Peckham holocaust." Perhaps it has survived because a Revolutionary Hero, Corporal James Tennant, also died in the fire while he was visiting the poor house during the conflagration. His grave is marked, the others are massed and unmarked. Has the area yet been examined for evidence of such burials? With today's economy, anyone might end up in the poor house!
        The Hopkinton Historical Association is taking a leadership role in this proposal and has formed a committee concerning it. W. Edward Wood, is chairing it. Contact Mr. Wood with any questions at ed.wood@... or ed.wood@... ,. One of these or both should work.
[...]

      • Scott Bill Hirst
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi!
           It is in the vicinity and I will be interested in the remarks put on record this evening.
          Regards,

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi!
             I may not speak. I realize this verges on the political for this discussion group, however the problem is it is not far from to the Hopkinton City Historic District as well as highly probable the Hopkinton Historical Cemetery#80 is on the site.
             I have applied for appointment to another land use committee, as an alternate member of the local zoning board of review, so I prefer a lower public profile as far as public statements. I have concerns about the proposal being touted for the site as well as any development, until the cemetery issue is resolved.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
              Arlan,
               I apologize if this crossed the line. I will not continue talking about this on this discussion group!
               Just read. Another poster notified me of this and I just checked for this! It is difficult as it is genealogically significant but I understand the problem!
              Regards with apologies,