A mystery in Scotland

  • bingo0212
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello,
      Below is something which to me does not make much sense.My ancestors change their last name back and forth between MCKIE and YOUNG,finally settling on Young.The only answers that come to mind revolve around someone who is not sure whether to carry the name of his father perhaps.Or maybe a second husband but if so why are the children all saying their father is William Young in their marriage records etc?As the ages and places of birth are a match I am sure the two families are one and the same.Are Thomas Mckie,Thomas Young and William Young all the same man?After the 1851 census no head of household is found at home but his wife is "married or "wife of head".George Young died in 1930 in Peace Dale,RI and Elizabeth(my GR GR grandmother) died in 1910 in Warwick,RI.Jane (Goodall)Young/Mckie b.Dewsbury,England was a sister of Thomas Goodall.He founded the Sanford mills in Maine.Their parents were George Goodall and Tabitha Armitage.
      1840 - Squire Armitage Mckie born Sedbergh,England to Thomas and Jane Mckie
      1841 - Thomas Mckay and Jane ch:Squire living in the Squire Armitage household in Roxburghshire,Scotland.
      1851 - Thomas Young(head),Jane(wife),Squire,Elizabeth,Helen and George living in Paisley,Scotland
      1858 - Sarah Jane Young born in Wilton,Scotland Parents William and Jane Young(William Young signs this entry in the record book)
      1861 - Jane Mckie(status-married)ch:Squire, Elizabeth, Helen,George, William,Tabitha and Sarah Jane living in Roxburghshire,Scotland no head of household present.
      1864 - Squire 24 and George 14 Young come to America
      1870 - US census Squire Young living in Philadelphia
      1871- Squire Young family living in Stirling,Scotland
      1871 - Jane Young(status "wife of head")and CH living in Roxburghshire,Scotland
      1880 - Jane Young(widow) living in Middleborough, MA