Re: [RI_Ancestors] 1938 Hurricane question

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 21, 2009
      I'm sorry to learn you have a missing family member.
      Your message prompted me to search for information.
      Perhaps Bill's family knows this already, but there are
      still some unidentified deceased persons from both
      Katrina and Rita.

      If you go to this site
      http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/?ID=192

      there are other links there. One is for The Louisiana family assistance
      center.

      My condolences,

      From: CAROLYN SCHWAB <piermonarchs@...>
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, March 20, 2009, 5:08 AM

      My cousin, Bill Knight, of Willimantic, Ct. told me that his sister, Betty Ann, was last heard from just prior to Katrina. She lived in New Orleans but had recently moved there from California. He was not certain if she had established a permanent residence or was living in a hotel. Bill suspects that she probably died as a result of the flooding. Not familiar with the area she may have been confused about how to escape and may have been washed out to sea. There is no record to trace. 1938 must have its own mysteries.

      From: "Sheila" <sls91750@cox. net>

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2009
        Hi Linda,

        I did call North Burial Ground on Friday and they were busy with a funeral,
        took the info I had and said they'd call me back on Monday. I have had this
        happen in the past. The office has only a few people in there and if there
        is more then one funeral and/or requests for burial permits, they are
        crazed. So, I will call again on Monday. They did say that the death record
        will show where the person is buried. That was how I found where my
        great-grandparents were buried in North Burial Ground. When I did go there,
        they were helpful with giving me exact location, who bought the lot, when
        and directions to the grave and a map!

        Sheila

      • CAROLYN SCHWAB
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 22, 2009
          Thank you. When families stay in one location for generations, even if it is the New England states, connecting to the past has a degree of comfort. Within Washington County, RI, I can easily find 6 generations of my ancestry. If Itravel to Portsmouth, RI, or Bristol County, MA, I can find 7 -9 generations. But, look at Burial Hill in Plymouth and the Pilgrim Monument above Plymouth Rock that contains the remains of so many Pilgrims that were buried in secrecy so no one would be aware of their shrinking numbers. I think we all need to concentrate more on our earthly endeavors as a record of our lives not the cemeteries that are repositories of our remains.

          From: "Sheila" <sls91750@cox. net>

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 22, 2009
            Hi Sheila,

            Thanks so much for taking the time to call them for me.

            I posted a message a earlier that you may not have seen.

            My cousin Charlene was at the AFGS on Saturday, and found
            George's death record. It seems he died before the hurricane,
            9/15/1938, and is supposed to be buried at St. Ann in Cranston.

            Now, I suppose it's possible he ended up somewhere else if his
            funeral was affected by the the hurricane. He had relatives in Canada
            and Massachusetts, so it is conceivable that the funeral would have
            been held a week later which brings them to the hurricane date.

            I'll be interested to see if he ended up at North Burial Ground after all.

            Thank you for your help,

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 25, 2009
              Lisa,

              Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had called St. Ann's and had to
              leave a message and wait for someone to call me back.

              George is buried there in Section I, Grave# 281. The grave is owned by St.
              Ann's and I asked what that meant. Some are owned/bought by the family and
              some are owned by St. Ann's. So, If someone dies, has no money for a plot,
              one is given depending on what was available.

              I asked if his wife was buried with him and he checked and said his records
              only show George is there and it is possible she and other family members
              are elsewhere but the grave is a "double" and would have allowed for a
              spouse but he is calling anther number to verify that no one else is buried
              there and to check on others. I didn't hear anything back from him.

              I will try to call him again if I don't hear back from him.

              He also said the grave is right next to where the office is located in the
              cemetery. I will see if I can check it out this weekend.

              Sheila

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 26, 2009
                Hi Sheila,

                This is awesome. Thanks so much for calling them.
                At least the part of my story about being buried in a
                potters field is correct.

                His wife Eva, died almost 40 years later, so by that
                time, the family was more established. Eva is probably
                buried with the Rathbuns, or in a grave plot of her own.

                I really appreciate the help,
                Lisa
                llepore@...