Re: History

  • Carol H
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 3:47 AM
      I always hated history classes when I was growing up in Mass. as I just could not seem to get interested in it. I know now that it was because the teacher did not make it interesting....they just taught from the book and added nothing to it. It has taken my love of genealogy to learn to love history. I get so enthralled when I am reading about the Civil War and realize that I have two paternal great great grandfathers who served. One from RI and the other from Ill....but yet their grandchildren ended up marrying in New Bedford, Ma. I had always heard of the Civil War that had brothers fighting brothers but it was not until I married my second husband and started his tree when I found that in his family. They were from Virginia (later to become W.V) and one brother was Union and the other Confederate. The confederate brother was captured and imprisoned by the Union as well. I have copies of letters written between them after the Conf. brother came
      home. I have gotten my 14 year old granddaughter more interested in history through the family tree as well.

      Carol Sherman Houghton
    • Dave & Sharon Ballou
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 11:11 AM
        I agree with you, Bonnie. Historical perspective was not presented
        to students in the '50s.

        Dave

        On 2/27/09, Bonnie Weber <bonnie.travel@...> wrote:

        > My best subjects were History and Geography. I don't know if any of you
        > recognize the name Elwy Yost, but he was my favorite teacher. He was on
        > Front Page Challenge and then did the old movies on the History channel.\
        >
        > All of my schooling was done in Canada, until I went to BYU in the states.
        > There, I flunked History.
        >
        > I couldn't believe it! How did this happen!
        > Well, as you may or may not know, the difference is persective.
        >
        > Canada (British) won the war of 1812, but you can't say that in America.
        >
        > If they hadn't won, we would be part of the U.S.
        >
        > During prohibition, where did the States get their alcohol?
        > Try Canada. We managed to export more booze to Americans than anyone else.
        > The Great Lakes were great barriers but also great access routes.
        >
        > There were a lot of different views, in my History classes, because we had
        > to learn "World Events".
        > We had to know what was going on in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and
        > our own history, along with American. This was not the way American's were
        > taught history, so I failed U.S. history.
        >
        > Bonnie, in Canada

      • sunshinekathypirk
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20 4:49 PM
          Hi Carol,
          My mother is a Sherman from Rhode Island but my 3rd great grandfather was born in Mass. May I ask who your great grandfather was?
          Kathy in Wisconsin