Re: Joseph Clarke and Margaret Turner b. early 1600 MA

  • kristinsmithcvs
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2009
      Thank you Jan, Tom, and Patricia for your help with this. Patricia,
      I'll definitely take a look at the book you cited. I'm currently
      reading Nathaniel Philbrick's book, *Mayflower*, and am impressed with
      how Rhode Island managed to remain fairly neutral during King Philip's
      War.

      Best regards,

      Kristin

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, patriciajhansen@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 2/18/09 9:46:35 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      > tomclarke1@... writes:
      >
      > The issue of Joseph Clarke's?2nd wife, Margaret,?has been around for a
      > while. To the best of my knowledge her identity has not been
      documented. This is
      > the 1st time I have encountered John and Jane Turner as her
      parents. Usually
      > their son Lawrence Turner, is identified as her father. There is an
      article in
      > NEHGR, John Turner of Lynn, Mass. and Some of His Descendants, Vol.
      123,
      > Pgs. 33-44, on this family.?John's wife is not identified and no
      daughters are
      > mentioned, only sons John and Lawrence. It is difficult to see how
      a daughter
      > of Lawrence's old enough to be the mother of Joseph Clarke's
      > children,?beginning in the late 1650's, fits into the family.?
      >
      > There is a letter in the James N. Arnold Collection at Knight
      Library in
      > Providence, RI from Gilbert Doane, dating?from the 1950's. (I
      should not be
      > writing this as I don't have the letter in front of me.) Doane was
      a prominent
      > genealogist of his generation, and he was researching the Margaret
      Turner
      > issue. Apparently one of Joseph Clarke's children, Carew, I think,
      had some silver
      > plate or utensils bearing the initials "L. T.", which were supposed
      to have
      > belonged to his grandfather. Doane supposed that Lawrence Turner
      was the only
      > person in Newport at that period whose initials?filled the
      bill.?Doane was
      > not aware of a primary document regarding the silver plate.?This
      may or may
      > not be the origin of the Margaret Turner story.
      >
      > I'm also curious about the origin of John and Jane being the
      parents of
      > Margaret. The NEHGR article has their son John born "about" 1612,
      which would
      > point to earlier dates for their births. Taunton as place of birth
      is just a
      > slip...or a spectacular breakthrough in New England history.
      >
      > Tom Clarke
      >
      > P. S. You need to get out of the hospital. There are almost no good
      > genealogy books there.

      _http://books.google.com/books?id=wwwWzqjqibUC&dq=%22story+of+dr.+john+clarke%22+bicknell&printsec=frontcover&source=b

      l&ots=nJdhz6DPJu&sig=ULFGSSV_AmB4mnCuSPDv-iS3CuM&hl=en&ei=ETKcSdf5HuSOmQe13vXs

      (http://books.google.com/books?id=wwwWzqjqibUC&dq="story+of+dr.+john+clarke"+bicknell&printsec=frontcover&source=

      bl&ots=nJdhz6DPJu&sig=ULFGSSV_AmB4mnCuSPDv-iS3CuM&hl=en&ei=ETKcSdf5HuSOmQe13vX
      > sBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result) and download the volume.
      > Beginning on page 73 there is a section regarding the ancestry of
      Dr. John Clarke,
      > along with information on his brother Joseph.
      >
      > This book seems to rely on secondary records, so it might not be
      accurate,
      > but it might serve as a reasonably good starting point. Certainly,
      it would
      > be more accurate than some of the stuff on Rootsweb or Ancestry.
      >
      > I have not yet had the time to fully go through the book myself, but
      I have