RE: [RI_Ancestors] Help sorting please? (Peter Tefft)

  • teffty
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
      Greetings,

      I have seen many places on the web where there have been two Peter Teffts
      named, one a son of Samuel and one a son of Joshua. There is no record of
      the birth of any Peter Tefft in 1676 in Westerly, and no reason to believe
      that Samual Tefft ever lived in Westerly. It is more likely that Samuel was
      on Aquidneck Island at that time, 1676 being the in the midst of King
      Philip's War. His daughter Sarah was baptised at the First Sabbatarian
      Church in Newport in 1679. In the early 1680's he appeared to be a resident
      of Providence. If I remember correctly he was not taxed at Kingstown until
      1687. Getting back to your dilemma however, I believe that Peter Tefft is
      one and the same, the son of Joshua, born 1672.

      "Peeter Tifft Sonn of Josua Tif by Sarah his wife, was borne ye 14th of
      march ye yeer 1671/2 in Warwicke" (Warwick Vital Records, A1:15)

      On March 22, 1681 an order of guardianship was filed for "Peter Tift orphan
      son of Joshua Tift" (Warwick Town Book A1:27) Mr. Jireth Bull Sr., of
      Kingstown, John Greene Jr. of Warwick, and Samuel Tefft were chosen
      guardians.

      I believe that Peter lived and grew to adulthood in the house of his Uncle
      Samuel. Hence Samuel calling Peter his "son" in his 1725 will. It is also
      notable that there was only one Peter Tift who participated in the Shannock
      Purchase of 1709.

      In a deed dated 1759 (Stonington, Connecticut) Peter Tefft Jr (born 1699,
      Westerly Records) names his grandfather Josiah Witter and "my Honoured-

      mother, Sarah Tefft, Daughter of mr Jofiah Witter"

      Concerning Mary Witter:

      Some sources suggest that Mary was Mary Witter. An article in the New
      England Historical and Genealogical Register (Vol. 27:357-358) would seem to
      discount this. The article is titled "Some Records of the Witter Family of
      Connecticut". They were copied verbatim from an old account book belonging
      to the Witter family of Ontario County, New York. The first two generations
      of the family in these records were likely passed down through family
      tradition. It is recorded that Mary Witter was born to Josiah Witter and his
      first wife Elizabeth [Wheeler] between 1662 and 1668. It is also recorded
      that Sarah Witter was born 1679 to Josiah and Sarah (Crandall) Witter. The
      following two entries tell us the matrimonial fate of these two women:

      "Mary Married John Parke of Preston had a Daughter by him her name Abigail.
      Married to Chrstopher Avery"

      "Sarah married to Peter Tift of Westerly had children by him."

      Finally the second wife of Peter Tefft (the one and only son of Joshua and
      adopted son of Samuel):

      It has been suggested that Peter's second wife was Mary Tefft, daughter of
      his Uncle Samuel and Aunt Elizabeth, and his first cousin. I had at first
      discounted this after looking at a copy of and a transcription of Samuel
      Tefft's 1725 will. It appeared that Samuel had named two daughters, Mary
      Tefft and Mary Newton. I thought that perhaps he had simply meant
      daughter-in-law Mary Newton, former wife of Peter. It turned out that Mary
      Tefft had been read incorrectly, it should have been Marcy (Mercy) Tefft.
      Fourteen years later Elizabeth also named her daughter Mary Newton in her
      will, but not Marcy Tefft. We also know that Mary Newton was formerly
      married to Peter Tefft from a deed from Matthew and Mary Newton to Samuel
      Tefft in Stonington (CT) Land Evidence 3:413 that reads "Mary Newton's
      former husband Peter Tift.". From these facts I think it is reasonable to
      conclude that Mary was indeed Mary Tefft, the daughter of Samuel and
      Elizabeth.

      I hope this helps make the situation more clear. I have tried to back up
      these conclusions as best I can with the documentation that exists.

      Regards,

      Tim Tefft

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
        Louisa

        I will send you info off list.

        Bonnie
        Peter Tefft b. 19 Feb 1678 d. 1725 in Scituate married Mary Witter
        and they had 7 children (also found a record of their marriage on
        Ancestry; U.S. & International Marriage Records, 1560-1900) so I
        would be correct in that the other Peter was married to Sarah Witter
        as what I find the most (including The Tefft Papers)...now to
        complete my corrections to the mistakes caused from the merging!

        Louisa

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Louisa A Bish-Faw"
        <Lanne271@...> wrote:

        > Okay...on going thru some info my dad has sent me I have discovered
        > that two of my Peter Teffts have been merged when they shouldn't
        have
        > and on trying to sort them out and who was married to whom I see a
        > lot of people have these same two Peter Teffts mixed up!
        >
        > The first Peter (there are others, but these are the two that I've
        > been unmerging!) was the son of Joshua Tefft (who was hung and
        > quartered) and his wife Sarah Greene and was b. 14 Mar 1673 in
        Warwick

        > The second Peter (in this) was the son of Samuel Tefft and
        Elizabeth
        > Jenckes and was born Feb. 19th, 1676 in Westerly.
        >
        > The wives I have are Sarah Witter and Mary ?. Now I believe they
        > were both the 1st and 2nd wives of the first Peter I list here, but
        > then who was the 2nd Peter married to?
        >
        > I just hate when people get merged that shouldn't have been! What
        > pain to fix!!!! *G*
        >
        > Thanks for any help! My dad has mentioned a Mary Witter being the
        > wife of one of them (said he had Mary, not Sarah?????) I am
        getting
        > so confused!
        >
        > Louisa

      • Louisa A Bish-Faw
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
          Thanks for your reply Tim! I have been spending the afternoon
          researching the name "Mary Witter" and have found quite a few and
          with lines that marry into other lines (Babcock, Tanner, and Crandall
          for example) so I'm still gathering info as I'm searching for the
          info that I am looking for!

          I've printed out your msg to save and go over to make sense of it.
          Thanks again!

          Louisa
          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "teffty" <tefft6@...> wrote:

> [...]
          Tefft.
          > Fourteen years later Elizabeth also named her daughter Mary Newton
          in her
          > will, but not Marcy Tefft. We also know that Mary Newton was
          formerly
          > married to Peter Tefft from a deed from Matthew and Mary Newton to
          Samuel
          > Tefft in Stonington (CT) Land Evidence 3:413 that reads "Mary
          Newton's
          > former husband Peter Tift.". From these facts I think it is
          reasonable to
          > conclude that Mary was indeed Mary Tefft, the daughter of Samuel and
          > Elizabeth.
          >

          > I hope this helps make the situation more clear. I have tried to
          back up
          > these conclusions as best I can with the documentation that exists.

        • Louisa A Bish-Faw
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
            That would be great Bonnie! Anything that will help! So many kids
            given the same name can sure make things confusing! *G*

            Louisa

            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Weber"
            <bonnie.travel@...> wrote:

            > Louisa
            >
            > I will send you info off list.
            >
            > Bonnie

          • teffty
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
              You're welcome. The records are scant to say the least from that time
              period. It took me several years and the collaboration of others to put
              together the theory of the matter as I sent it.

              Let us know what your conclusions are.

              Tim Tefft

              _____

              --- In RI_Ancestors@ <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
> [...]
              Tefft.
              > Fourteen years later Elizabeth also named her daughter Mary Newton
              in her
              > will, but not Marcy Tefft. We also know that Mary Newton was
              formerly
              > married to Peter Tefft from a deed from Matthew and Mary Newton to
              Samuel
              > Tefft in Stonington (CT) Land Evidence 3:413 that reads "Mary
              Newton's
              > former husband Peter Tift.". From these facts I think it is
              reasonable to
              > conclude that Mary was indeed Mary Tefft, the daughter of Samuel and
              > Elizabeth.
              >

              > I hope this helps make the situation more clear. I have tried to
              back up
              > these conclusions as best I can with the documentation that exists.

              yahoogroups.com
              > Okay...on going thru some info my dad has sent me I have discovered
              > that two of my Peter Teffts have been merged when they shouldn't
              have
              > and on trying to sort them out and who was married to whom I see a
              > lot of people have these same two Peter Teffts mixed up!
              >
              > The first Peter (there are others, but these are the two that I've
              > been unmerging!) was the son of Joshua Tefft (who was hung and
              > quartered) and his wife Sarah Greene and was b. 14 Mar 1673 in
              Warwick

              > The second Peter (in this) was the son of Samuel Tefft and
              Elizabeth
              > Jenckes and was born Feb. 19th, 1676 in Westerly.
              >
              > The wives I have are Sarah Witter and Mary ?. Now I believe they
              > were both the 1st and 2nd wives of the first Peter I list here, but
              > then who was the 2nd Peter married to?
              >
              > I just hate when people get merged that shouldn't have been! What a
              > pain to fix!!!! *G*
              >
              > Thanks for any help! My dad has mentioned a Mary Witter being the
              > wife of one of them (said he had Mary, not Sarah?????) I am getting
              > so confused!
              >
              > Louisa

            • Bill Wright
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
                Thanks Tim, for sharing the results of your years of research. Your
                explanation of the Peter confusion makes sense. Now I have got to
                correct my data file. At the moment it is red-flagged.

                Bill Wright