John SMITH who migrated from MA to RI with Roger Williams

  • SIDERSN
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      Anyone know of the John SMITH who was expelled with Roger Williams
      from Massachusetts...? If so, do you have his descendants...? Any of
      them match mine listed below in paragraph four...?

      A correspondent in my LETSON ancestry wrote the following paragraph in
      an introduction of a book we are placing on the web. I was not aware
      of this possible connection to Roger Williams.

      Re: Mary Smith's ancestry. This is something I wish could be
      established. There have been some attempts to do this, but it appears
      that they are lacking in primary documentation. Some go back to the
      John Smith who was expelled from Massachusetts along with Roger
      Williams. Others offer different lines.

      I inherited the following; haven't had time or the initiative to
      attempt to prove or disprove any of it yet. I would think SMITH would
      be a tremendous challenge. My SMITH connection is through this Mary
      (SMITH) who married John LETSON. They were my 5th G Grandparents.
      Mary's parents were John Smith and an unknown. Her grandparents were
      Jeremiah and Mary (GEREARDY) SMITH. Her g grandparents were another
      John SMITH and an unknown. Her gg grandparents were another Jeremiah
      SMITH and an unknown. Her ggg grandparents were Joseph "The Weaver"
      and Lydia (GARDINER) SMITH. 4G's John "The Miller" and Sarah
      (WHIPPLE) SMITH. 5G's were John "The Miller" and Alice (Unknown)
      SMITH. This last couple is supposedly my 12th G Grandparents. Most
      of these folks were in RI.

      Thanks...Nancy Cluff Siders
    • Bonnie Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
        Send me your Home email, and I will copy some pages to you directly.

        Bonnie

        bonnie.travel@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
          A good secondary source on John Smith The Miller is the series of "Rhode Island History" articles titled "John
          Smith The Miller, Of Providence, Rhode Island, Some of His Descendants." These are compiled in "Genealogies
          of Rhode Island Families From Rhode Island Periodicals, Volume II: Smith - Yates" (Genealogical Publishing Co.,
          1983). This is 150 pages! that had been spread out over 4 years, 1961-1965, all in one place.

          I'm not a descendant of John Smith The Miller but have many cousins among his descendants. I go back to John
          Smith The Mason and am interested in John Smith the Colony President. Todd H.