Re: [RI_Ancestors] Sally Carpenter Knowles

  • Bonnie Weber
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
      Charlie
      Do you have dates?
      Bonnie
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Charlie Carpenter
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Sally Carpenter Knowles

      Hi Naomi

      This Carpenter / Rodman line is mine,but Mary Rodman has been eluding me for some time too.
      If you ever find her please let me know.

      Charlie C

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
        Bonnie

        I haven't had a date in years :o)

        What and who are you inquiring about ? Since Donna made me aware of Mary Rodmans parents I've been cleaning up my Rodman files,which has led to more research..

        Charlie

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2008
          Donna:  My computer has been acting up big time so could not respond.  I don't think our gr-gr-gr-grandmothers were the same person.  I found another date for the birth of my Sally and will have to write the archives or Warwick for a death certificate.  Someone told me that her death record could not be found.  I did get a photo of her stone but my machine would not bring it up so will have to go to my daughters.  Such is life.

          Arlene Clarke Haddock

          ---- Arlene Haddock <mahaddock@yahoo. com> wrote:
          > Gardiner Knowles b Nov 1780, s/o Ebenezer Knowles who married Dorcus Northup, married Sally or Sarah Carpenter b 03 Mar 1782?  Gardiner and Sally are buried at Brayton Cemetary in Warwick, Apponaug, R.I.  Has anyone determined the parents of Sally Carpenter?  Gardiner/Sally would be my 4th gr-grandparents.    I think Charlie Carpenter gave me some info, but Sally's parents were yet to be determined.
          > Thanks for any information.
          >
          > Arlene Clarke Haddock
          >
          > -- On Thu, 11/27/08, Donna Potter <uriramfan@cox. net> wrote:
          >
          > From: Donna Potter <uriramfan@cox. net>
          > Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Carpenter information
          > To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com
          > Cc: janrobison2@ aim.com
          > Date: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 6:42 PM
          >

          > Hi Jan,
          > Arnold's VR of RI shows the borth of Ebenezer Carpeneter to Ebenezer and Lydia Carpenter on 9 Jun 1800 in Cumberland. The original record can be found in book 2, page 33 of the records in Cumberland.
          > Donna
          > ---- janrobison2@ aim.com wrote:
          > > Hi, all!!
          > >
          > > I have run into a little glitch.? I can find no PROOF of my Ebenezer Carpenter's parents.
          > >
          > > Ebenezer, b. 9 Jun 1800, Cumberland, Providence, RI m. Ruth Ann Sheldon on 29 Dec 1825 in Attleborough, Bristol, MA.? I have seen most folks have determined that his parents were Ebenezer Carpenter and Lydia Angell;? However, I can find NO PROOF.
          > >
          > > Someone suggested that he was probably the son of Benjamin and Abigail Carpenter, but I can find no proof of that, either.? Here are some of my notes:
          > >
          > > George Carpenter grew up in the rural -industrial village of Potter Hill in Westerly, Rhode Island.? The Carpenter family was prominent very early in Rhode Island history. Although a number of genealogies trace the family history, none of them mention the forebears of George B, Carpenter. As he states, his grandfather was Ebenezer Carpenter. Apparently? Ebenezer was one of the sons of Benjamin and Abigail Carpenter. Benjamin Carpenter resided in Hopkinton in 1820, and the census of that year in dictates that he had two sons between the ages of ten and sixteen. [no proof was found]
          > > ???? Ebenezer Carpenter first appeared in the census of 1830. In that year Ebenezer (twenty to thirty years old) lived in the town of Richmond with his wife, Ruth A. (Sheldon) Carpenter, and their three daughters (all under the age of five years).? The census indicates they had no male children at this time.? The 1840 census makes no mention at all of Ebenezer and his family. They may have been boarding in another household, as it was common that one family would board with another.
          > >
          > > Can anyone shed any light on this one?
          > >
          > > Jan
          > > "Maw"

        • Donna Potter
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 5, 2008
            Hi Arlene,
            My fear when I saw your email was that the person I had as my 4th great grandmother was not the right one...and I would have to look for her again! My Carpenters were quite a challenge for me. My second great grandmother, who was Sarah Carpenter Vaughan's grandmother, was also Sarah Carpenter - she was the d/o Lucetta Vaughan and Jeremiah Carpenter. That's my mother's side.
            On my father's side, the Jeremiah Carpenter who married Lucetta was the brother to my 3rd great grandmother, Thankful Knowles Carpenter (guess the Carpenters and the Knowles could not get away from one another!) who married William Waite Potter and had my 2nd great grandfather, Jeremiah Carpenter Potter.
            Talk about a tangled web!
            I figured that based on the marriages and children for my Sarah that she could not be your Sarah, but the date of birth really made me stop and think...what if the Sarah I had as my 4th g grandmother was not the right one. Then who would be the parents of mine? I plan to check my files and resources as soon as I can to be sure that I have it right.
            Donna