Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: State Almshouse Cranston,RI

  • Linda Peloquin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2008
      *Duh*....this is what I get for staying up so late...info IS already posted to the group.
      Definitely time to go get some sleep before I say any more brilliant things  :-)
      Linda

      From: Sue D. <auntiesuzz@yahoo. com>

      To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 11:11 PM

      Sandra Enos, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Sociology at Bryant University has produced and Audio CD titled Let us Build a home for such children: Stories from the State Home and School. She is also completing a book on the history of child welfare in RI and is working on a script for a documentary tracing the 175 year history of Children's Friend and Service.  She is extremely knowledgeable about the entire history of the state homes.

      I mention her because she spoke at our last Historical Society meeting, and she talked about how the records there and many of the orphanages are in shambles. How she found records often in old trunks in basements and attics. Something should be done before all records are lost or destroyed.

      Just thought you'd like some credence to what you were told.

      Sue

      If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

      From: Linda <miyukichan0987@ yahoo.com>

      Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Re: State Almshouse Cranston,RI

      To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 11:43 AM

      I made a call to the RI State Archives and learned the following

      regarding the records of the state institutions:

      Almshouse records - RI Archives has those from around 1870-1880 -ish

      to 1930. Nothing after that as the almshouse may have been merged

      into the state infirmary/hospital. Information included in the records

      varies according to the year/era. Records could contain, in addition

      to name & entry date, religion, reason for entry, medical records,

      death information.

      State General Hospital/infirmary - I had experience with this one back

      in the spring. I not sure where I finally wound-up talking to ...I

      was referred to from one place to another ...but in the end was told

      that the records were/are destroyed 10 yrs after the patient's death.

      State Archives also told me that these records were shredded by the

      state and don't exist anymore.

      Additionally, Archives does have records for the state prison,

      Providence County jail, state farm, state insane asylum.

      Standard bit regarding contact info from my files:

      Rhode Island State Archives

      337 Westminster Street

      Providence, Rhode Island 02903

      Telephone: (401) 222-2353

      Fax: (401) 222-3199

      Email: reference@sec. state.ri. us

      Web: www.state.ri. us/archives/ ~~website is poorly designed and pretty

      much useless from a genealogy point of view.

      Open to the public Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

      Deaths from about 1856 to 1957. Births and marriages from about 1856

      to 1907. On 1 Jan of each year, another year's records are released

      so 1957/1907 will increase to 1958/1908 next 1 Jan 09. Anything which

      falls after 1957/1907 must be obtained from the RI Health Dept. /

      Vital Records.

      Archives also has RI State Censuses done on the "5" years from 1865 -

      1935 with the exception of 1895 which is MIA.

      Death records newer than 1957 are at the State Department of Health,

      Vital Records and will cost $20/copy.... there is a discount for more

      than one copy of the same record but off hand since the fees went up,

      I don't know what that is. Death records can also be found in the

      town/city in which the event occurred and may be priced the same as

      from Vital Records; I know that the General Hospital death I found

      back in the spring cost $20 whether I got it from the State or the

      City of Cranston.

      RI DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS:

      Office of Vital Records

      3 Capitol Hill

      Room 101

      Providence, RI 02908-5097

      (401) 222-2812 (8:30 am-4:30 p.m. EST) Monday-Friday to speak with a

      Customer Service Representative.

      The Office is open to the public from 8:30 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. Monday

      through Friday.

      Hope you'll be able to locate the information you're looking for.

      Linda

      --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "breezy454" <breezy454@. ..> wrote:

      > Hello. Does anyone know how or where I can obtain if possible a record

      > of an inmate at the State Almshouse in Cranston,RI.

      > Thank you for any help

    • Sue D.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2008
        The guy in charge of the project at RIC spoke last year at the society about the work they are doing there and what they found.  I too went to RIC in the 70's and I remember the building sat way back what looked liked in the woods behind Roberts Hall parking lot.

        Sandra spoke quite a bit about the Cranston institution. The institution was affiliated with the parish of St. Joseph in West Warwick - Warwick then.  Some of those records are on microfilm at of all places, AFGS (American French Genealogy Society) in Woonsocket.  I know it's there because I was reading the mircofilm looking for records of an Uncle who was there. Just ask someone at the AFGS and they'll show you where they are.

        From: Linda <miyukichan0987@ yahoo.com>

        To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com

        Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 11:43 AM

> [...]

        back in the spring cost $20 whether I got it from the State or the

        City of Cranston.

        RI DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS:

        Office of Vital Records

        3 Capitol Hill

        Room 101

        Providence, RI 02908-5097

        (401) 222-2812 (8:30 am-4:30 p.m. EST) Monday-Friday to speak with a

        Customer Service Representative.

        The Office is open to the public from 8:30 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. Monday

        through Friday.

        Hope you'll be able to locate the information you're looking for.

        Linda

        --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "breezy454" <breezy454@. ..> wrote:

        > Hello. Does anyone know how or where I can obtain if possible a record

        > of an inmate at the State Almshouse in Cranston,RI.

      • Sue D.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2008
          me too time for bed

          From: Sue D. <auntiesuzz@ yahoo. com>

          To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com

          From: Linda <miyukichan0987@ yahoo.com>

          To: RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com

          Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 11:43 AM

> [...]

          back in the spring cost $20 whether I got it from the State or the

          City of Cranston.

          RI DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS:

          Office of Vital Records

          3 Capitol Hill

          Room 101

          Providence, RI 02908-5097

          (401) 222-2812 (8:30 am-4:30 p.m. EST) Monday-Friday to speak with a

          Customer Service Representative.

          The Office is open to the public from 8:30 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. Monday

          through Friday.

          Hope you'll be able to locate the information you're looking for.

          Linda

          --- In RI_Ancestors@ yahoogroups. com, "breezy454" <breezy454@. ..> wrote:

          > Hello. Does anyone know how or where I can obtain if possible a record

          > of an inmate at the State Almshouse in Cranston,RI.

        • breezy454
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2008
            Linda. Thank you very much for the information and leads.

            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <miyukichan0987@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > back in the spring cost $20 whether I got it from the State or the
            > City of Cranston.
            >
            > RI DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS:
            >
            > Office of Vital Records
            > 3 Capitol Hill
            > Room 101
            > Providence, RI 02908-5097
            > (401) 222-2812 (8:30 am-4:30 p.m. EST) Monday-Friday to speak with a
            > Customer Service Representative.
            > The Office is open to the public from 8:30 A.M. until 4:00 P.M.
            Monday
            > through Friday.
            >
            > Hope you'll be able to locate the information you're looking for.
            >
            > Linda
            >

            > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "breezy454" <breezy454@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello. Does anyone know how or where I can obtain if possible a
            record
            > > of an inmate at the State Almshouse in Cranston,RI.

          • Linda Peloquin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2008
              Your welcome.  I hope you find something.

              Linda