Re: [RI_Ancestors] Inquest into a death

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      Lisa, Todd, and all those who responded to my question about the inquest into the death of my ancestor. I contacted the Providence City Archives but was told their records only began in 1978. They referred me to the State Medical Examiner's Office where I was told they only have records from 1960 to the present. I decided to contact the Providence Public Library and asked if they could check to see if there was any write-up about the inquest. A wonderful person by the name of Margaret Chevian was kind enough to find such an article and sent it to me. Now, that leads me to ask another question...is there a website or some source where I could find more information about the volunteers in the Mexican War?

      Thank you again so very much for sending me to the different sources. Thought you'd like to know the outcome.

      Nancy

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
        Hi Nancy-

        Thanks so much for sending this update on
        the Medical Examiner's records. Guess I won't
        be finding the results of a 1920 autopsy where
        no crime was involved....

        I tried to look for information on the Mexican War.
        According to this site -
        http://www.dmwv.org/mexwar/mwstats.htm

        Rhode Island was one of 4 states that did not
        send volunteer units to fight in the war. So, if your
        person was involved in the war, and if the above information
        is true, he must have joined a unit from another state, or joined
        one of the regular federal army units?

        Here is a list of links for information on the war
        http://www.dmwv.org/mexwar/resources.htm

        Hope these help - If I find anything else, I'll let you
        know.