Re: [RI_Ancestors] Inquest into a death

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2008
      Lisa,

      You are the most generous person with your time. Thank you for all you have done on my behalf. It is very much appreciated. I will contact the State Medical Examiners Office as you suggested. It was also suggested that I try the Providence City Archives. So I'll do that too. Thanks again for everything.

      Nancy
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2008
        Nancy, if those good suggestions don't yield results, you might have a look at the records of the town where this occurred. I found an older such inquest, from the late 1600s, in an early volume of Warwick land records. If it had been later, perhaps it would have been in with the Town Council records, versus "mixed" with deeds. I had also looked at the published versions of the Colony-level Court Records. A few of these (books) were at the RI Archives. But it did end up that it was a local "jury of grand inquest," in this particular case. I was considering searching at the Judicial Archives in Pawtucket but solved the issue before I took that route. Todd H.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2008
          Todd, Have you made any decisions regarding RI - MS? Meeting, 9/17. I spoke to J.A. at the Congress and mentioned you as primary.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2008
            Todd,

            Thank you so much for the information. I would have responded sooner but we had powerful 70-mile-an-hour winds last Sunday afternoon (the 14th) which took down loads of trees and power lines. We just got our power back last night. We get so spoiled. It was getting pretty depressing, but I had to remind myself to thank God that it wasn't extremely hot or cold, we had no flooding, and we had no holes in the roof of our house. The storm was very bizarre. It just came up suddenly and we had no rain with it. We thought it was a tornado but it wasn't. It lasted several hours. Anyway, we're now back in business.

            Thank you again for your suggestions. I'm going to call the Providence City Hall on Monday and check with the archives there.

            Nancy

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
              Lisa, Todd, and all those who responded to my question about the inquest into the death of my ancestor. I contacted the Providence City Archives but was told their records only began in 1978. They referred me to the State Medical Examiner's Office where I was told they only have records from 1960 to the present. I decided to contact the Providence Public Library and asked if they could check to see if there was any write-up about the inquest. A wonderful person by the name of Margaret Chevian was kind enough to find such an article and sent it to me. Now, that leads me to ask another question...is there a website or some source where I could find more information about the volunteers in the Mexican War?

              Thank you again so very much for sending me to the different sources. Thought you'd like to know the outcome.

              Nancy

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
                Hi Nancy-

                Thanks so much for sending this update on
                the Medical Examiner's records. Guess I won't
                be finding the results of a 1920 autopsy where
                no crime was involved....

                I tried to look for information on the Mexican War.
                According to this site -
                http://www.dmwv.org/mexwar/mwstats.htm

                Rhode Island was one of 4 states that did not
                send volunteer units to fight in the war. So, if your
                person was involved in the war, and if the above information
                is true, he must have joined a unit from another state, or joined
                one of the regular federal army units?

                Here is a list of links for information on the war
                http://www.dmwv.org/mexwar/resources.htm

                Hope these help - If I find anything else, I'll let you
                know.