Sherman help

  • sunshinekathypirk
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2008
      Hello Cousins,
      new girl here.
      In need of serious Sherman/Shearman help. Major stuck on my 3rd great
      grandfather. Thought I had something with Roy's book but was only able
      to prove his info incorrect. Peter Sherman (b. 22 Apr 1802????) in
      Douglas, Worcester, Mass. d. Dec 1883 Burrillville, Rhode Island. m.
      Laura Marsh b.24 Sep 1803 Oxford, Worcester, mass. d 1870-1880. They
      had 10 children. I cannot find Peter's parents. I have pictures of
      Laura's destroyed tombstone. One of my cousins said they saw it in
      someones basement and that she is said to have been a witch. Have
      found nothing on that. I have her family to way back.
      I've been working on him over 3 years and ripping my hair out. Any
      help would greatly be apprieciated.
      Kathy
    • Carol H
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2008
        If you contact Art Cohan at the following email, he might be able to help. He is developing a database on All Sherman/Shearmans.

        artcohan1@...

        Good Luck.

        Carol Sherman Houghton
        descended from Hon. Phillip Sherman of Portsmouth, RI
      • Donald Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2008
          Both Art Cohan and Butch Rose have them in their rootsweb World Connect databases as the son of Peter Sherman and Hannah Jefferson but no evidence seems to be avaiable. Could you get it from Oxford, Mass town clerk or Mass archives?  The image of his marriage record on NEHGS only gives the vride and grooms names and place of residence and is not an actual copy of a marriage record (if one exists?). I have Sherman's on my maternal side.
          Don Taylor

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
            I'm afraid I've already been thru this with Art. I don't know Butch.
            Roy's book has him as son of Peter and Hannah but I have not found
            evidence that backs up that claim. The census records that Roy refers
            too are not concurrent. If the book was correct, then Peter would
            have married Laura at about 2 years old. I'm hoping to do some
            reasearch out east when my grandmother passes on. (i'm in wisconsin
            and she is in a nurseing home in Rhode Island not doing well).
            Kathy

            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Donald Taylor <dtaylor120@...>
            wrote:

            > Both Art Cohan and Butch Rose have them in their rootsweb World
            Connect databases as the son of Peter Sherman and Hannah Jefferson
            but no evidence seems to be avaiable. Could you get it from Oxford,
            Mass town clerk or Mass archives?  The image of his marriage record
            on NEHGS only gives the vride and grooms names and place of residence
            and is not an actual copy of a marriage record (if one exists?). I
            have Sherman's on my maternal side.
            > Don Taylor
          • Bonnie Weber
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008