DEXTER, ALLEN in 1700's

  • bbffrrpp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hello. I don't remember whether I already mentioned my ancestors *
      who did come from Rhode Island. There were 3 DEXTER brothers who
      were in the Providence area in the mid-1700's. They moved up to
      Killingly, CT, around 1790 and settled there. Joseph DEXTER and
      Mary ALLEN were one of the couples. One of ther sons was Marvin
      DEXTER who also married a Mary ALLEN, but she was from a CT family.

      I don't have time to add more information this morning, but you can
      find a lot of information in the archives of the CT and CT Windham
      CT Lists at www.rootsweb.com (and possibly the archives of the RI
      List).

      Betty (near Lowell, MA)

      * I don't know if John DEXTER and Mary Anna CLARK were my ancestors.
      They left Killingly, CT, (the DEXTER Farm) around 1885 and moved to
      Melrose, MA. In 1892, as an older couple, they adopted a little
      girl, Age 3. Her birth name was Daisy WATROUS (was a foundling in
      Boston), but they changed her name to Mary Anna Clark DEXTER. "May"
      was only with them until 1898 or 1899- when Mrs. DEXTER died and Mr.
      DEXTER got ill. So, she was re-orphaned and went to an orphanage in
      Boston. Around Age 13 she went to "The Temporary Home for Women and
      Children" in Boston, and she remained there until she was Age 19.

      The little girl was my grandmother. My "educated guess" is that the
      married daughter of the DEXTER's - back in Killingly, CT, had
      an "unwanted pregnancy" in the summer of 1888. And, Mrs. Clara YOUNG
      arranged for the baby to become a foundling in Boston.

      (This is a very long, complicated story which might eventually become
      worthy of an "historical novel.")